PDA

View Full Version : window treatment - suggestions?

MJRLLK
01-30-2002, 06:11 PM
I`ve been using Zaino (Z-2 + ZFX) on my new 325xi including the windows. The body looks fantastic (you guys, especiall DK, were right) as does the windows but the beading effect and water shedding effects on the window is much less than what I had with Rain-X (a silicone product) on my old car. I`m afraid to use a silicone product, not sure how it would affect the Zaino on the rest of the car. What other products do people recommend, especially if you are using Zaino on the rest of the car? Thanks.

Chuckmotor
01-30-2002, 06:29 PM
Many people here use Rain-X and like it, but others absolutely despise it, saying it leaves haze and streaks. I have used it (though not often) and have not expierenced hazing or streaking if applied correctly. It CAN easily haze if not correctly applied. Many of these anti-Rain-X users use a different window protection product similiar to Rain-X but extremely hard to find and order. I`m sure someone will tell you more about it (and I forgot the name of it, anyway).

spartacus_33
01-30-2002, 06:31 PM
My experience has been that Klasse AIO works better than rain X. Of course Aqua Pel works best, at a price.

Andre'
01-30-2002, 07:31 PM
I just used Aquapell it`s a much better product than Rain-X, it`s easy to apply and it leaves no haze.:bow to the Aquapell.

imported_BretFraz
01-30-2002, 07:33 PM
I bought some Aquapel but haven`t used it.

Do a Search on it and you`ll find the links and lots of info.

Lemonxxs
01-30-2002, 07:33 PM
:bow Aquapel or STP vision Blade!!:xyxthumbs

MJRLLK
01-30-2002, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Is AquaPel silicone based? Is it compatable with Zaino? Where can you buy it?

Lemonxxs
01-30-2002, 08:35 PM
I am pretty sure it is not silicone as it is different then RainX.

I found STP vision Blade at local Wally World and bought some Aquapel in a group buy.

Search Aquapel as someone listed a site that sells it.

And there was another site that listed STp by the case for 24$

DETAILKING
01-30-2002, 09:16 PM
Glad Z2/ZFX is working out for you!

How did you prep the windshield before Z2? I use Zaino glass polish first and then apply Z2.....

Anyhow, if you want to try something new, I would apply it on the windshield only to compare. Z2 works great on the sides and rear windows and makes them easy to maintain, and clean. After a wash I just Z6 them and they look great. If also brings out the reflective properties in them (especially on tinted ones!) and adds to the detailed look of the car.

Crowd favorite seems to be aquapel. I used to use rainx with good results, but it can be a pain to buff off completely. I noticed my BMW windows are coated with something, because before I applied anything to them, they had the rainx beading/sheeting effect when driving in the rain.

BradE
01-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Ken

Aquapel is NOT silicone product, it`s a flurotelamer resin. It`s not useable with Zaino. You will have to strip the windows clean, very clean, and then apply the Aquapel. Aquapel will not streak or smear like Rain-X does, Aquapel can`t smear because it a cured resin not an oil like Rain-X.

You can get it from www.speedymetalpolish.com for $9.50/ tube+shipping. Some other sites have it as well but many are charging around $20 or more for it.

:bow to Aquapel!!:xyxthumbs

MJRLLK
01-31-2002, 09:42 AM
Thanks to all. I`m going to try Aquapel. What do you recommend to prep the windshield if I have Z2 on it now?

Lemonxxs
01-31-2002, 10:19 AM
Use lighter fluid ( naptha) or 3m sells some stuff to remove waxes and oils in a spray can...It has naptha in it with some other stuff.