PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Clay Lubricant

imported_Greg
01-30-2002, 02:03 PM
Anyone try it? What did you think? Also... what`s the recommended clay bar to use these days? Got spring cleaning fever already :up :D

Preachers Sheets
01-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Well, I used the Meguairs clay bar before I knew any better. I thought I was doing something wrong but after I got all the dope smacks from people here I found the Meguairs product stinks.

I just bought the Mothers kits, I haven`t used it yet but people say it is a good clay bar. There are others (a post about clay bars was posted here a few days ago) and they have quite a few different types.

So in short, don`t use Meguairs, Mothers seems to be good enough unless you want to dump some money for overkill clay... overkill, isn`t that what were all about?

:xyxthumbs

mooredriven
01-30-2002, 02:10 PM
what timing! I was just getting ready to post a similar question. :):xyxthumbs

Preachers Sheets
01-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Ok guys! This is what I have found:

These are the "recommended" clay bars:

Zanio

Griots

Clay Magic

Mothers

Pinnacle

From what people say, you can use a bottle of quick detailer as a lube but some people say it is too expensive and rather go with a bottle of a little car soap and water as a lube.

One person has stated that if you decide to use the soap/water as a lube, the mothers clay bar will become mushy. This is only one person saying this so I would advise you to seek more details before making your final decision against Mothers....

vettefan67
01-30-2002, 02:58 PM
A quick http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/images/top_search.gif (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/search.php3?s=`) for "best claybar" yielded many results, including this one (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5164`).

HTH

Cybercowboy
01-30-2002, 03:13 PM
You may have been referring to something I posted about using the car wash lube solution vs. QD. I used both Mother`s and Zaino`s clay when I first started out and I posted that I liked using the QD better as a lube because it didn`t seem the clay broke down as fast. When I used soap solution with the Mother`s bar it really got crumbly. The Zaino clay did somewhat, but not as bad as the Mother`s. My favorite combination was the Mother`s QD and the Zaino clay, FWIW.

Also, I think I should have used more soap in my solution. I followed Sal`s instructions to the letter. Perhaps the amount of soap should be more like 1-1/2 capfulls per quart (3 times what is recommended.) Anyway, it`s all good.

Preachers Sheets
01-31-2002, 07:56 AM
Cowboy, thats good to know... I have Mothers and I was thinking of using the soap but I`ll re-think it now.

Ryan
01-31-2002, 08:42 AM
I had to use soap and water for a mothers claying job. I mixed Armor all car soap with water in a trigger bottle and saw the same results as if I used the showcar qd.

Ryan

idamanjax75
01-31-2002, 08:59 AM
... I got the Maguiar`s Clay (with their QD in a $12 package at AutoZone). It worked fine. 20 minutes and the entire car was done.

I`ll try others, but not for a year or two since the bar has lots more "mileage" left.

E

TortoiseAWD
01-31-2002, 09:05 AM
I`ve had Zaino clay start to fall apart on me before when using carwash as lube . . . I discovered that if I dried the piece of clay before folding and kneading to expose a fresh surface, the clay held its integrity much better. I believe the problem of the clay breaking down stems from water getting kneaded <strong class=`bbc`>into[/b] the clay, not simply from the clay getting wet. I recommend a quick dab of both sides of the clay on a clean MF to remove any excess lubricating solution before folding/kneading.

YMMV,
Tort

Cybercowboy
01-31-2002, 09:35 AM
Sound logical. That may be what happened to me. The Mother`s QD is no doubt 98% water anyway. The next time I clay I`m going to do what Brad B. does - tear a small piece off, flatten, and use it up on both sides before going for another piece - no kneeding and less risk of scratches.

Lemonxxs
01-31-2002, 10:18 AM
when I used mothers with soap solution it turned into a mushy sticky mess....then I grabbed my clay magic and no problems.:nixweiss

JonB
01-31-2002, 11:12 AM
I use the Pinnacle Lube and it is very good with the poly clay from Pinnacle. The only thing that bothers me a little is that it leaves a residue, but that probably happens no matter what you use. I just hosed it off with water before going to the polish phase and had no problems.

H