PDA

View Full Version : Perma Seal, yay or nay?

01-30-2002, 01:00 AM
I always see this stuff at car shows and see people buying boat loads of this crap. I saw it at the boston autoshow and he was demonstrating it on a black hood. Ill tell you one thing, it didnt get out the swirl marks. I got into an argument with the promoter after he insulted my detailing ability. :p

Here is the wax:

Steve @ Guru
01-30-2002, 01:09 AM
I searched Google with just about every variation and word on that Perma-Seal label (from your pic`s) and turned up nothing...zilch...zippo...zorro...nada

It`s probably a "gimmick" product, as you`ve discovered through your own experiments. I`d be happy to "officially test it" at thewaxtest.com if you`d like...then you`d have some circumstantial evidence.

I`ve been to a bunch of car shows (mostly MidWest) and don`t recall seeing the stuff...perhaps they`ll have it in Chicago?

01-30-2002, 01:22 AM
hmmm, im going to the car show in providence on friday. If it is there I will get the guy`s card for you.

Steve @ Guru
01-30-2002, 01:26 AM
Cool. I`ll happily test it! Thanks again.

miguelgf
01-30-2002, 01:53 AM
Here`s a hint:

At the car shows, these guys light a panel polished with their wax on fire, to show how well it protects.

I think that`s textbook definition of snake oil, isn`t it?

I actually have a plastic container filled with the powder version of this crap - and so far, the only thing I dare use it on is keys. I inherited it with a boat that I bought, and later saw it at a flea market, with the demonstration above presented as proof positive it shouldn`t touch my car.

HenrikP
03-18-2007, 09:29 AM
I was just at the Minneapolis car show here in Minnesota and talked to the guy. I pointed out the swirls on his hood he and he told me that they were from the many demonstrations he had done. I asked a couple guys around what they think of the product and they said they have been around a long time. Personally I think I will just stick with my #26.

HenrikP
03-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I`m not sure if you guys have seen the water blade that is at a lot of the auto shows also but Perma Seal and them are both under the same company.

HenrikP
03-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Here is their website:

Permaseal Wax (http://www.permasealwax.com/)

thesacrifice
03-18-2007, 12:03 PM
water makes a good sealant too I guess...it doesn`t burn

dogma
03-18-2007, 12:18 PM
I am ashamed to say I bought This stuff several years ago at the Big E in MA.

The little can or powder is for older non clearcoat cars the Permaseal or lazy mans wax is in the black bottle. I tried polish/wax on my wifes SUV and it left dust and white in every place you can think of( even with being extremely careful ). After getting it all off it did leave a pretty good shine, not sure about swirls because her SUV didn`t have any. I have since given it away.

imported_paradigm
03-18-2007, 12:23 PM
from the site above:

------------------------------------------

PERMA-SEAL

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Original formula powdered PERMA-SEAL, "THE LAZY MAN`S WAX", has micro polishing agents and is recommended for restoring dull, oxidized finishes on older vehicles (3 years or older) and also can be used for removal of tar, bug stains, tree sap, rainspots and other embedded stains commonly found on newer vehicles.

PROFESSIONAL PERMA-SEAL HAND GLAZE is a more delicate product recommended for newer vehicles with clear coat finishes. It is also excellent for filling in minor surface scratches and swirl marks on both older and newer vehicles.

PROFESSIONAL PERMA-SEAL HAND GLAZE contains a high quality CARNAUBA WAX that provides an extremely high gloss finish that lasts for a minimum of six months. Because of the variation of automotive paints, all finishes should be tested for compatibility before applying any car wax to the entire vehicle.

-------------------------------------------------------------

i have no experience with this product, but i know i would not order from their website...looks like an elementary school web project and doesn`t even use SSL for ordering. just a basic form with "enter CC info here".

imported_rydawg
03-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I bought it at the World of Wheels in Boston 3 years ago. I used it on my show Mustang and it was ok. I also used it on about 10 other vehicles and it lasted for maybe 2-3 months and then faded and dulled the paint. I remember a Black F350 I did, that I heavily prepped and I then protected it with Perma-Seal and it lasted maybe 3 months and then the finish tuned to a chaulky white.

With all the choices out there I would buy something different. I am one to buy almost everything out there just to try. Bad addiction! It did repel water for quite a bit of time, but it left residue everywhere that was a pain in the but to remove. Also it did mute my pearl a bit. I still have a bottle left, just to collect dust.

I would suggest not buying it and buy something that we all discuss and use. The best products are discussed and used here on Autopia.

Scottwax
03-18-2007, 02:25 PM
One huge advantage the car show vendors have (other than autopia level vendors like Clearkote and Poorboys who tour shows) is that by the time you learn their product isn`t what they said it was, they are already in another town making it hard to get your money back.

HenrikP
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
I agree. They know you`re there for a day and they are going to do everything they can do to convince you while you are there.