PDA

View Full Version : How to clean your character lines

waxinator
01-29-2002, 04:47 PM
I havn`t found a great tool or brush yet for cleaning caked wax and dirt from character lines and molding edges. When junk gets in these areas it seems to deminish the hard work we enthusiasts

are doing. I`m sure you will agree. Looking for something that`s

aggresive enough to get in there but not enough to scratch

the finish.

I tried Q-Tips in the fall but they seem to be so-so.

Who`s got the answer?

Wax

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 04:55 PM
Ever try a super soft tooth brush? The ones for people with sensitive teeth

Or a MF wetted with some QD.

dengelson
01-29-2002, 04:59 PM
I`m not sure what you mean by character lines but I`m guessing that you don`t mean shut lines or you could just open the hood,trunk or door and clean off the wax on the sides. I had a tricky spot on my car to ge the wax off of. On the fronts of the rear fenders there is a layer of vinyl designed to protect the paint. The line where the vinyl met the paint had caked wax in it that I couldn`t remove with QD and a MFT. I ended up using a very soft bristled tooth brush with good results.

dengelson
01-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Dang GMN stole my thunder. I need to learn to type faster. :D

waxinator
01-29-2002, 05:18 PM
Yeah GMN.

A super softee toothie may do the trick.

I would slap some auto wash on it [like tooth paste] and brush the knooks and crannies as a pre-wash step.

Now were really getting down to the nitty gritty. Hu! LOL

I don`t think I would want to sacrifice a good MF as

the grime and dirt would most likely be stuck there.

Thanks

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 06:00 PM
Ahhhhhhh but buy more MF`s it is all i use now for everything concerning washing my truck.

YoSteve
01-29-2002, 06:14 PM
I like using foam point tipped laquer brushes, the kind with the wooden handles to get into some nooks and crannies, not to mention application for my favorite interior stuff in the inside.

waxinator
01-29-2002, 06:14 PM
I like MF`s too but aren`t the loops[they don`t have loops do they]

a little too small to trap dirt.

In other words if you have large particles trap in your MF it

can turn your MF into sandpaper vs. a nice Fieldcrest or

a cotton chenelle washmitt where the particles can rise up

into them and not harm your paintwork. Just my 2 Cnts.

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 06:38 PM
How large are we talking? The nap on MFs is pretty big and should hold most stuff.

rmccall6
01-29-2002, 06:40 PM
Yes use a nice soft brush (china bristles for instance). i wouldn`t put car wash on the brush though. If you need to, use some QD, but definately not car wash.

waxinator
01-30-2002, 03:23 PM
GMN, I have not seen the bigger MF`s yet. I have only the

tile size ones from Zymol, so in my ignorance the larger

towels probably have larger naps. For washing I use Fieldcrest`s

for the top 90% and Detailer`s Choice Cotton Chenille wash

mitts for the lower 10%.

And Brad, you make sense with the QD Vs. the Wash syrup

on the brush.

Thanks

Wax

mhaber
01-30-2002, 03:58 PM
I`ve had good results using an expensive, non-synthetic paint brush in $10 range. 1 1/2 to 2" size works best. Get one with feathered tips and put duct tape over metal band that hold bristles so it won`t scratch the paint--I learned this the hard way. If you find the brush too soft, you can tape the first inch or so of the bristles above the metal band to stiffen the end of the brush. I`ve found this set-up will remove all but the most hardened wax/polishes and it will not scratch. I use the brush after every application so it doesn`t build up. You can brush every crevice in a few minutes. If something is petrified, I use Pinnacle cleaner or Stoners Xenit or denatured alcohol to remove it.