PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help a new guy out? (kinda long)

Figz
01-29-2002, 04:14 PM
I have what may appear to be a fairly common set of questions, but when I went to look at the topics up to 5 pages back, I couldn`t find exactly what I was looking for. So hopefully I won`t get flamed.

Anyway, I have been trying to compile some information over the last few weeks about how best to get my car to shine the best. I have been hearing all sorts of good things about Klasse products and am going to try them. However, I have some questions about the products, order of application, and maintenance.

I have a black VW Corrado that I will soon be trying to get into shape for the spring/summer months. The car currently gets washed by hand a few times/month and gets regular coats of carnuba wax, plus 3M IHG on occassion. I get pretty good results, but they don`t last long at all. Plus I have some pretty nasty swirl marks on the car.

I have spent some time on the VW Vortex Detailing forum and want to see what you guys have to say. So here is my plan.

1) Meguires Gold class soap

2) Mothers Clay Bar

3) 3M SMR

4) Klasse AIO

5) Klasse Sealant Glaze

Is this going to make the car shine pretty well? I also have a bottle of Meguires Carnuba (maroon bottle), that I am not sure I will put over the SG. What is the point of putting the carnuba over the sealant glaze? Does the wax have more shine than the sealnt. Also, I notice that people around here put numerous coats of SG on their cars. Why? Does it give a deeper shine or is it just for added protection. If the shine is deeper, does that mean it will be necessary to use the carnuba.

How does one maintain these products during the 6 months that they are effective. Should I just wash the car, then use a carnuba once/month, or do I need to wash the car, use SG, and also use the wax?

Finally, there is the question of application. Everything except for the 3M product will be applied by hand. My question here relates to the specific products for the application of SMR. I have absolutely no experience with using any kind of motorized device to apply/remove agents to my car. What is the best type of polisher for my needs and experience. I obviouslyt want to get a device that will minimize my ability of scratch or burn through the paint. I have heard that random orbitals are the best way to go. Is this true? What is the best model to get. On proper-autocare.com, they are selling this Porter Cable Ultimate Detailing Machine. I read the blurb on it, and looked ok. is there something better or certain features I should look for specifically. Or is this something better left to the professional.

Sorry for the length.

Tom

94 VW Corrado

86 VW Jetta

JasonC8301
01-29-2002, 04:26 PM
You have a solid plan going on how to tackle your car in the spring.

The purpose of putting a carnauba over Klasse is to give the paint some depth and liquidyness (is that even a word?) that only carnaubas can bring.

People put numerous coats of Klasse SG on to increase that candy coated shine and protection. I only do one major detail a year and Klasse holds up very well (relatives and friends cars, don`t worry Autopia I`m gonna get my learners permit soon and learn to drive in my recruiter`s car, or should I say 20 passenger van) :)

As for the polishers, the Porter Cable is a great beginners polisher, it does not have the power of a rotary/hi-speed buffer which can cause major problems in the hands of an inexperienced or knowledge lacking user. The Porter Cable will provide good results, but dont expect miracles. It will make a good finish even better, but will not restore a neglected car back up to showroom condition. If the 3M SMR will not solve your nasty swirls, I recommend you kick it up a notch in abrasiveness, go to 3M FInesse It II, if that does not solve anything try 3M Perfect It II Rubbing Compound. Always work you way up the abrasive scale going from mildest to strongest. The stronger abrasives may leave a haze on the surface, this is common, the bigger swirls are being reduced to smaller ones, in which a finer polish will reduce/remove this haze. I will PM you with sites and prices.

you may also apply Klasse AIO with the Porter Cable. It applies it evenly and quickly..

Jason

dengelson
01-29-2002, 04:28 PM
Hi Tom welcome to Autopia!

Your 5 step list is right on the money dude! :xyxthumbs The PC is a great working machine for personal auto detailing. It won`t remove the really nasty oxidation problems that a rotary buffer will remove but most of us don`t have to deal with those type of finishes. The PC will work well for applying the SMR and the AIO. I`m going to go search for a couple of threads that I think will help you. I`ll be back.

BradE
01-29-2002, 04:28 PM
First off Welcome aboard!

The plan you listed will work pretty well. You mentioned that you have some pretty bad swirls marks on the car, if that is the case chances are SMR is not going to do the job. You will probably have to step up to something like 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material Machine Polish to remove all the swirls. After that you will probably need to polish it down further with something like SMR to remove any micro haze caused by the FI2.

There is a benefit of putting caranuba of Klasse. One of the complaints about sealants for many years was that they leave "sterile" shine with no depth. Putting a quality caranuba over a sealant will fix that. The problem is once you put the wax on top of the Klasse you must strip it (Dawn Wash) before you can add more Klasse because the oils in the wax will prevent the Klasse from bonding properly. I think Klasse looks pretty good on it`s own, but it`s up to you.

Now on to polishers. You have 2 kinds, randon orbitals and direct drive rotarys. For someone who is starting out a random orbital is the way to go. Rotary`s will product better results and quicker results but they can cause a good amount of damage if you are not expierenced with it, certianly not for the beginner. For a newbie to using a machine the Porter Cable is the way to go. You can go to you local Lowes store and get the Porter Cable 7336SP, which is the same machine and CMA and others sell, for $109. Then order the DM kit from CMA that has a varity of pads and most importantly the velcro backing plate. That`s all you`ll need to get started with the Porter Cable. :up

dengelson
01-29-2002, 04:35 PM
http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=6645 (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=6645`)
http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=6548 (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=6548`)
:bow http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4270&highlight=video (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4270&highlight=video`)

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 05:01 PM
I think the posters above said it all...you seem to have a good plan... and welcome to the forums.

Post a review after you have tried the products!!:xyxthumbs

Figz
01-29-2002, 05:58 PM
Wow, thanks for the rapid replies! You guys rock! This site is quite a source for detailing knowledge. The more questions that get answered, the more questions that seem to pop into my head. I got some more questions here.

1) It ounds like the PC machine will be something that I will seriously look into. However, what sort of pads do I need for the of SMR and SG?

2) The strength of these polymer compounds sounds like it might also be good for use on my mom`s car since she doesn`t really take the time to really clean her cars too often. The question here is two-fold. My mom has a silver Audi TT roadster, that sits outside in the summer and is usually (unless it is unusually warm) under a car cover in the winter. The car is just over one year old and the paint looks great right now, but I can see it slowly deteriorating with time based on how my mom maintains the car. Would I be able to just apply Klasse SG w/out any of the other steps that I am doing to the Corrado and still have long lasting protection? Secondly, how does this stuff stand up to brushless car washes? I know, I know it is not the best thing to do, but the only way my mom would actually wash the car is via the automatic car wash or during the 2-3 times/year that I am actually home (and I always wash that car when I am home).

Tom

94 VW Corrado

86 Jetta coupe

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Preparation is the key to a great look.

Clean moms paint and remove any swirlies present. You may want to apply AIO since it has been neglected for a year.

Good Luck!

Michael H
01-29-2002, 06:07 PM
After the perfect shine? Look here:

http://autopia-carport.com/Detailing-Articles/Perfect%20Shine.htm (`http://autopia-carport.com/Detailing-Articles/Perfect%20Shine.htm`)

Figz
01-29-2002, 06:25 PM
I don`t think the paint on the TT has been neglected, so to speak. It has been washed numerous times since we have had it, and I just put a coat of carnuba on it before it went under the car cover at the end of december, so it should be ok. At the present time, there are no serious imperfections in the paint, but I want to keep it that way the easiest way possible, since I live a few hours from home and my mom isn`t as picky as I am about the details of the car`s appearance. The first step from what I understand is to start with a car that has paint in good condition. So far, that is where I am at.

Tom

94 VW Corrado

86 Jetta coupe

imported_Intermezzo
01-29-2002, 06:29 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Figz [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>1) It ounds like the PC machine will be something that I will seriously look into. However, what sort of pads do I need for the of SMR and SG?
[/b]</blockquote>
For the 3M SMR, use either the yellow or white pad from CMA, depending on how visible your swirls are.

For AIO use the white pad and for SG use the Grey pad.

If the SM SMR with a yellow pad doesn`t completely rid your car of its swirls, try 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material (39003) with a yellow pad.