PDA

View Full Version : Random Acts of Vandalism.

Brakedust
01-29-2002, 01:00 PM
Hi Folks,

I`ve been a detailer (Car Valet over here) for a few years and I love it. Its not too long since I discovered the beauty of the Internet (2yrs) and everything it has to offer, including the good tips and advice from this forum about 6 months ago. I think I am alone here in Ireland with my love of car care and man, was I shocked when I found you fellow "freaks" !!! :bow lol

Well, I don`t consider myself or anyone else a freak in having the shiniest, best looking car in the City. Anyway, its a pleasure to post here, and being quite experienced, I`m afraid I must hit you only with the challenges that have me stumped. I hope you bear with me.

Is this a problem where you guys live? Kids are always pulling the badges off the back of cars over here and sticking them on everything - skateboards, jackets, etc. Go figure these Crazy Pups ! :nixweiss

It has happened to some of my customers and removing the glue resin that held the badge on is proving to be quite a task. I`ve used solvents of various types and strengths, such as tar removers, multi-purpose cleaners, etc. I have even used a Heat Gun, but didn`t want to damage the paint so that had limited value in this situation. Clay doesn`t do it either. I hate giving the car back with these black marks, but I am getting nowhere with it.

Having said that, the customers are fine with it as they are getting a new badge anyway. But I hate poor workmanship. Help me strive for perfection. I know I`m in the right place for that

:xyxthumbs

All tips are gratefully accepted, and I look forward to your eloquent advice.:cool:

Brian

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 01:07 PM
Welcome to the forum!!!

Have you tried Naptha? (lighter fluid)

Or maybe even goo gone or something like that?

Maybe Prepsol could even help remove the gluey gook.

Brakedust
01-29-2002, 01:13 PM
Lighter Fluid ?? Explain!!

Should I light it up....lol:scared

Seriously, I have never even considered using it on a car. What properties would it have in this scenario. Would it loosen the bond to the paint or have a corrosive effect on the resin?

Thanks

Brian.

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 01:18 PM
Naptha - pour it on a rag and soak the gook - than try to wipe it off. Then when done rinse with water and wash. Try this as a last resort.

Have you tried citrus based cleaners? Goo Gone works pretty well. I have seen an adhesive remover made by 3M on their website. As with anything start least agressive than work your way up until satisified.

You also may want to search on here for sticker removal as there were some insiteful threads about it. In fact I highly reccommend it.

good Luck!

Brakedust
01-29-2002, 01:44 PM
Just ran a search and found some info. Looks like the next stop be will Lighter Fluid indeed. I will let you know how it works out, but I don`t know when the problem will arise again. Probably soon, knowing the kids in this city.

Be Good!

Brian.

Cybercowboy
01-29-2002, 01:56 PM
Lighter fluid (Naptha) will not harm any modern, urethane-based clearcoat. It will remove all traces of wax, silicones, polymer sealants, acrylics, etc. The trick is to apply the fluid in a manner that it is allowed to "dwell" a few minutes before agitating. A soaked rag would suffice, I`m sure.

Disclaimer: I`ve never tried this personally, But Ron K. is very knowedgable and I would trust him on this.

You can also use lighter fluid to clean silicones (like Rain-X) off glass.

mhaber
01-29-2002, 02:50 PM
Xenit from Stoners is citrus based and removes just about anything but is safe on paint. I can only find it on the internet in my part of the country. tascar.com is a good site.

A4 No More
01-29-2002, 06:31 PM
I have always had good luck using WD-40.