PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Introducing Myself...

bjwebster
01-29-2002, 12:19 AM
Ok...Ill tell my story of detailing this weekend. (It Says it all)

On saturday, we had a beautiful day here in North Carolina. So I drove 20 minutes to my parents house to wash my car. They have hot/cold water spigots and lots of room to work. My mother and I usually get out and wash our cars together. My vehicle being a 2001 Mercedes ML320, Black. Hers is a 2000 Mercedes ML430, Black. Matching cars, sad huh. (but thats another story).

We washed our cars, did the basic detailing thing, I helped her wash another one of my parents cars and my father came out and thought it was a good idea if she and I washed his 2001 denali. We said ok, and got started. Upon original inspection, I think there are thick salt splashes on the car, I look closer and realize thats mold, less than 5000 miles and the damn cars moldy. I am ocd when it comes to car care. My car gets washed 15 times for every one time his gets washed. And people say like father like son. hehe Found that funny.

OK...My spring detailing plan, what do you guys think?

Clay---> 3m SMR w/ PC---> AIO---> SG---> Topper, Maybe Zymol Carbon (I have some in the fridge and it gives one heckuva shine)

Sorry For The Long Post, But I Thought I Would go In With A Bang!!

:bow Autopia

imported_killerjg
01-29-2002, 01:13 AM
Hey Bj,

Welcome, sounds like a good plan. I am very happy with my Klasse. Good prep plan for the Klasse. Have not used Zymol, since you have it go ahead and use it (post some pics for us). Other toppers you might read about: Blitz. Pinn Paste Glaze and Souveran

If you haven`t worked with the PC much, here`s a great reference thread (see carguys summary):

http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5540&highlight=scratches (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5540&highlight=scratches`)

db2
01-29-2002, 01:22 AM
You can also use P21S as a topper, bul let us know how the Zymol does.

Preachers Sheets
01-29-2002, 07:53 AM
Just remember............you cannot (well you could but you wouldnt want to) layer more klasse glaze once the wax is applied to your car.

I haven`t put any wax on my car since last fall, just that I never know if I am going to keep putting on the glaze or just finish with it until next spring with a coats of wax.

Now as I think of it, I am going to go with two more layers of glaze then wax the car once every two weeks until I can strip everything and start over.

dengelson
01-29-2002, 08:23 AM
Hi bj welcome to the cleaning crew! :)

Personally I would put down at least 3 layers of SG before considering a wax topper. I guess I`m not a fan of using a wax topper because, like joed said above, it makes it more difficult to continue to layer the SG. The reason for this is that the SG won`t bond properly to the layer of wax. If you do find yourself in this situation you can use a Dawn wash to remove the wax and then begin layering the SG again. I have read on this board though that washing with Dawn should only be done a couple or three times a year.

btw I had some little spots on the roof of our minivan that I think was mold and it was removed pretty easily by the AIO. :xyxthumbs

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 09:58 AM
Welcome!!!!!!

Nice vehicle selections!!!!

For your dads I would go the Klasse route ending up with 2-3 coats of SG without a topper...this way when you wash it again for him in the future you can apply more if needed!

Glad Mom is into clean cars!!!

imported_Dude
01-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Welcome!

bjwebster
01-29-2002, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys for the responses!

As far as layers, I plan on several aio/sg layers prior to topping it off.
What will 3m smr with a pc take off? What type of swirls, depth, etc.
Thanks

Ive included a shot of my cars side panel after detailing.
Excuse the nasty trim, it has since been dealt with!

http://www.appstate.edu/~bw35807/WWW/STUFF/DAMNGOODSHINE.JPG

Don2000g
01-31-2002, 06:22 PM
Welcome to this wonderful forum. I`ve used Klasse SG with no topper for a few months and I was really impressed with the appearance and of course the protection. However, I would tend to fall in line with the individuals who love to add a carnauba coat on top. It gives it that little extra something to the look. Laters

F1Crazy
01-31-2002, 06:46 PM
Klasse on a black car is the way to go:up . I haven`t tried any toppers yet, but I had a chance to see black car with several layers of SG and Blitz on top and it looked fantastic, made me wish I had a black car.

If you going to start with SMR you will only need 1 coat of AIO

(applies great with PC BTW).

SMR is very mild and will not remove any major scratches, but looking at your car it will be all you need. If you`re not competely satisfied you can always go more abrasive, like FI-II.

I had great results with SMR on my father-in-law`s dark green LX470. It even took care of scratches created by some rubbing compound when he tied to fix deep scratches.

miguelgf
02-01-2002, 02:07 PM
and hand out some placebo waxes (dunno how you`d make a placebo wax, but that`s an experiment for someone else).

I throw a topper (P21S) on my Klasse as well (after layering about 5-7 coats over 3-4 days). I could *SWEAR* there was marked improvement - but three other objective observers couldn`t see the difference.

Go figure - maybe I just like to rub up against my car..

Either way - good to see you here Bolton - enjoy your stay!