PDA

View Full Version : Questions about lighing-sunlight vs Flourescent>

Pages : [1] 2

Redcar GUY
01-28-2002, 04:45 PM
Okok

I got the SS out for the first time in a while becouse of the nice weather that we are having:) I noticed that I have marks on the hood it direct sunlight that I dont have in the garage under Flourescent lights? I dont think that they are swirls? But they sort of look like them, just right around where the reflection of the sun is...... what could that be from? or is it just the way the light its from direct sunlight??

Again they are not there under the garage lights.......:nixweiss

DETAILKING
01-28-2002, 05:02 PM
eom

Redcar GUY
01-28-2002, 05:05 PM
DK- no

Lemonxxs
01-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Different spectrum in the light sources...Plus the sun is pretty bright. Try getting some Halogens and see what you see.

They could be swirls that are very fine and the sun`s light rays being very indirect reflected of the edges a bit more than the Flours. in the garage?

:nixweiss

imported_doug
01-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Man, doesn`t that just fry you?

All I can say is that no matter WHAT light you use, you will see stuff in another light that you didn`t catch before. I can wax my car inside, but I always find a spot i didn`t buff when I back it out into the light, and at that, I usually discover a few others day or two later.

The best lighting for showing flaws, for me, is in the warehouse where I park one of my cars. Typical wood structure, very high ceilings - probably 35 feet. There are a few skylights up there. The light is not real bright, and somewhat diffuse. I see EVERYTHING - at least on the top surfaces. Sometimes this really irritates me - I might have just detailed the car at home and I`ve patted myself on the back for how great it looks. Then I roll it in there......

If we have any optical physics experts out there, I`d love to know more about why some lighting conditions show swirls better than others.

Redcar GUY
01-28-2002, 06:12 PM
glad to hear that am not the only one:)

DETAILKING
01-28-2002, 06:54 PM
If this is the case, there is not much you can do.....

Preachers Sheets
01-29-2002, 08:01 AM
Doh, thats going to make me look like a fool. I am running around like a chicken without a head telling everyone to look at their car when they fill up thier tank to see swirls or any other paint defects. I always see more than I ever could under lights at a gas station. Around here the gas stations are re-built every so many years so maybe they get better lights as they re-build.

They are around 20 feet high if that makes a difference.

Nice to know you had your camaro out for a spin, I was reading some Camaro tribute in a magazine yesterday, really interesting. First year they were produced, over 220,000 were sold. Anyhow, hope you enjoyed your spin.

wbboydcofc
01-29-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first post, though I have been lurking and reading for quite some time. In response to the question of why sunlight reveals more swirls than fluorescent lighting, it is because sunlight is essentially a point-source. The degree to which swirls are visible depends on the angular size of this point source. You`re far away from the Sun so the angular size of the sun is a small angle. In this case, you can reflect sunlight rather than absorb it into a narrow angle (such as a swirl mark). With fluorescent lighting suspended only a few feet above the paint surface, the angluar size is huge, and the light is not reflected but rather absorbed by the swirls. Halogen and incandescent lights more closely resemble point sources. Even better than that is some sort of HID light source such as HPS or Metal Halide (parking lot lighting). Under HID lighting, swirls can be easily seen.

OK, that`s enough of that. Now I have a question. Just took delivery of my black car last month and the dealer swirled the hell out of it in delivery prep. Just received my Z6,ZFX, and Z5 shipment. Should that do the trick?

TIA,

Brad

DETAILKING
01-29-2002, 12:50 PM
Sweet Car!

How bad are the swirls? Can you see them as clear as day or do you have to bend yourself at wierd angles in certain light to see them?

If the swirls are moderate (like the ones on my BMW that my dealer made!), I would remove them first before starting the zaino process. Once you start zainoing, you never need to strip and start over, so if you don`t address them not they will come back to haunt you later on. I suggest using something mild first by hand like 3M SMR (#39009) for dark colored cars. You can finish up any hazing it leaves with something VERY mild like PPCL or go right to Z5.

If the swirls are minor, mulitple coats of Z5 should do the trick. I would dawn wash, clay, and then ZFX with Z5.

Either way your new black volvo will look awesome! Post pics!

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 01:03 PM
Welcome!! great insight into point source lighting.

I would remove the swirls first with some abrasive as they would drive me nutts!!!!

DK had some great advice as well.

Happy Mardi Gras!!:xyxthumbs

wbboydcofc
01-29-2002, 01:14 PM
DetailKing-

The swirls are not that bad. Really only visible in sunlight, but they are all over. I am hesitant to use an abrasive on such a new finish, so I figured that the ZFX/Z5 would fill/hide the swirls until I am ready to do an abrasive treatment of the entire car. It`s my understanding that SMR is a relatively mild abrasive, so if a few coats of z5 does not do the trick, then I may try that. Have you had any luck applying SMR by hand, or does it really only work with a PC orb? When I took delivery of the car, it was early evening, so I did not notice the swirls. Imagine my surprise the next morning. The dealership tried to remove them with little success. I should have figured that since their best hands put them there in the first place. Actually, it looks like they used a rotary buffer. Oh well, guess if you want to do it right, then you have to do it yourself. I`m planning on spending a day with my new, surprisingly pleasant smelling Z friends this weekend. I`ll be sure to post some pics.

-Brad

DETAILKING
01-29-2002, 01:19 PM
If you are afraid to use SMR, then go with PPCL. It might not tackle all the swirls but will help, and will clean the paint real nice.

Anyhow, Z5 should make a difference. Try to get on 2-3 coats before evaluating. I hope you bought the Z7 wash....it works really well with the system and adds gloss and slickness wash after wash.

The dealer swirled up my BMW too, but used a THICK silicone dressing that hid them so I didn`t see them till I washed it the first time....WHAT A SURPRISE.

Remember to use only high quality MF towels or 100% cotton towels to buff off zaino, to prevent further swirling.

I have used SMR on many cars and to tell you the truth it depends on the car (paint). Some cars are more finicky with abrasives, some cars it made hardly any difference on, and some cars, like my bmw, it worked wonders on.

Best of luck!

Looking forward to these pics!

YoSteve
01-29-2002, 02:46 PM
there`s only a few types of lighting situations into where I can see my fine scratches and the sun isn`t one of them. Could be the sky around me does a great job of diffusing the light (clouds etc). Some parking lot lights do the trick but it depends on the color, the yellower or whiter ones don`t show as much as the orangey ones.

it depends on how your car responds to lighting, my guess is in the garage, try to see you car in a few different kinds of light, otherwise take to to places right after you detail where you can see the flaws (and bring your stuff :))

Lemonxxs
01-29-2002, 03:31 PM
I could see where different type of light show up different things.