PDA

View Full Version : Black car questions?

Pages : [1] 2

Cork
01-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Who has a black car as a daily driver? How bad are the swirls?

Looking at a new Black Pontiac GrandPrix GTP for my wife. I have a hard enough time keeping her red vehicle looking good.

DETAILKING
01-25-2002, 01:56 PM
It`s impossible to have a swirl free black daily driver. It`s the hardest color to own. It shows water spots after a wash the most, and dust. If you have the time and patience to maintain it, go for it, if now, skip it if driving a clean and shiny car is important to you. When done right, nothing shines like a black car!

01-25-2002, 02:21 PM
my question is how DK keeps attaching the same image :p. Over at the member pics you can see my ML320 after 3 coats of Klasse SG. I prefer klasse on black because it makes the paint look darker and deeper. You should see my neighbor`s 2001 black accord, he uses nu finish and talk about depth... of swirl marks that is ;) .

truvette
01-25-2002, 02:26 PM
Black cars definately require quite some time and patience if you do decide to own one. They are notorious for showing scratches, swirls, road grime, and just about anything else you can imagine affecting a daily driven vehicle. If I had known about Autopia before I purchased my current black vehicle for daily driving, then I would have gone with a silver car. As DK mentioned, nothing looks better than a black car that has been freshly detailed! The only downside though is the upkeep! :eek:

imported_Intermezzo
01-25-2002, 02:54 PM
JM19, I partially agree with you. I have both a silver and a black car and the silver is a breeze to maintain, but doing a perfect detail on black is just so much more rewarding...to me at least. :)

Cork, my wife drives her black car 50+ miles a day, parks it outside while at work and smokes cigarettes while driving. Hehe, it definitely has a few swirls here and there, but it isn`t all that bad. I sealed the car when it was pretty new and it`s pretty much had several layers of protectant for most of it`s life.

drCooper
01-25-2002, 03:22 PM
Black cars look awesome if you keep up with the cleaning and waxing. :D

truvette
01-25-2002, 03:59 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo330I [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>JM19, I partially agree with you. I have both a silver and a black car and the silver is a breeze to maintain, but doing a perfect detail on black is just so much more rewarding...to me at least. [/b]</blockquote>
Intermezzo, you must have misunderstood me. I was saying that I too enjoy detailing a black car also, as the end results are well worth it. By upkeep I meant keeping it scratch and swirl free. Not an easy task! :eek:

imported_bigltc
01-25-2002, 05:22 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>It`s impossible to have a swirl free black daily driver. It`s the hardest color to own. It shows water spots after a wash the most, and dust. If you have the time and patience to maintain it, go for it, if now, skip it if driving a clean and shiny car is important to you. When done right, nothing shines like a black car! [/b]</blockquote>
Holy moly!!! My gosh!!! :eek: The reflection is awesome!!!

imported_Intermezzo
01-25-2002, 05:26 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JM19 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>

Intermezzo, you must have misunderstood me. I was saying that I too enjoy detailing a black car also, as the end results are well worth it. By upkeep I meant keeping it scratch and swirl free. Not an easy task! :eek: [/b]</blockquote>
Oh, OK. Scratch that sentence then. :)

I was referring to the part where you said you`d get a silver car instead of a black car had you found Autopia sooner. For me, now that I`ve found Autopia, black will always be my first choice. :bounce

8ball
01-25-2002, 05:28 PM
My wife and I both have black cars; both daily drivers. Yep, swirls are a constant battle, but I don`t mind, especially when I get compliments from complete strangers on how good my car looks after I`ve had a good detailing therapy session with it.

Don2000g
01-26-2002, 10:57 AM
Hey Mike, what products do you use on your Mustang. The black looks pretty nice on that pic.

dengelson
01-26-2002, 11:23 AM
I think that the best thing that you can do for a black car is to start with some intensive prep work. Use clay, paint cleaner or both. Then put multiple layers of protection to create a nice thick sacrificial layer exposed to the elements. With a daily driver I`d lean towards using a quality polymer sealant like Klasse. I`d put at least 3 layers of SG on but 6 would be better. :)

imported_doug
01-26-2002, 11:53 AM
If ever there was an example of a love/hate relationship, a black car is it. As said above - nothing looks better clean; nothing shows dirt sooner. If your red car is a non-metallic red, you already know a lot more than most about what it takes to keep it looking pretty. And <strong class=`bbc`>a black car is the best teacher[/b] about all things detail-related. I can`t tell you how much I have learned about what I thought already knew!

In the end - it is a personal decision.

http://www.heumann.com/images/dbl_reflection_640.jpg

drCooper
01-26-2002, 03:16 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Don2000* [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Hey Mike, what products do you use on your Mustang. The black looks pretty nice on that pic. [/b]</blockquote>
I use all Mothers products, and I use Mothers Pure Carnauba wax on it.

Don2000g
01-26-2002, 10:07 PM
You can tell that you have a carnauba wax on that car. It looks great! The black looks very dark, shiny and vibrant. Now that`s the way a car is supposed to shine.(My personal opinion of course.) I wouldn`t change your routine too much at all. It is definitely working out wonderfully buddy. Laters