PDA

View Full Version : what would you consider to be a year`s worth of Zaino products?

Pages : [1] 2 3

31st330i
01-25-2002, 01:18 PM
okay, so I may break down and switch to Zaino from Meguiar`s Medallion but I want to evaluate the cost over a year because Zaino sells their product in such small quantities, I`m afraid simply ordering one of each isn`t enough.

I have two cars. I try to wash the bimmer once every 1-2 weeks and the Subaru every 2-3 weeks. I was waxing them with Medallion once every 3-4 months and am assuming that with Zaino and proper Zaino maintenance (Z6 & Z7) that polishing is a once every 6 months gig now.

ZFX - order one per botle of Z2

Z2 - I know this stuff should be used sparingly but I wonder if one bottle will last a year on two cars if I apply 2 coats each time.

Z5 - okay, one bottle of this stuff is probably a lifetime supply, right?

Z6 - the instructions on the Zaino site say to use this stuff sparingly as well but one 16oz hardly seems like a one year supply for one car let alone two. I presume that this should be used after every wash or two..??

Z7 - this seems to be the product that I`ll really go through. Zaino told me to use one capful per two gallons of water. I like washing with more than two gallons. I usually use four but could see myself surviving on three gallons of suds. even at two gallons and washing one car once a week, it seems that I`d go through six to seven bottles (assuming one capful is equal to one fluid ounce). how much are you guys using?

Zaino says that their products are designed to work together as a system. I can see how Z6 may be part of that but am not completely sold on Z7 being part of that. do any of you folks use a different (more cost effect) car wash that works well with the other Zaino products?

the clay bar is pretty generic and they said that my meguiar`s clay will be fine.

DETAILKING
01-25-2002, 01:41 PM
1. ZFX should be able to treat 16 ounces of Z2 or Z5.

2. Z2 / Z5 - you will probably switch off between them so treat it as 16 ounces of product. They are not much different, but Z5 is thicker and fills in swirls better. Both products shine great, and it is a matter of preference on which one looks better. To an untrained eye, they look the same. Anyhow, people are getting 2-3 coats from one ounce of Z2 or Z5 with ZFX. 16 ounces of Polish should give you at LEAST 20-25 coats, probably more on an average sized car. Also, you don`t have to use ZFX with every coat. I would use it for the first coat, and then only when you want to apply mulitple coats in one day. It should last you a while.

Figure, if you are an enthusiast, The minimum I would do is apply about 1-3 coats on each of your cars and let them ride about 4-5 months, and then apply another coat or two, and let them ride another 4-5 months. Your Z2 and Z5 will last a while on this schedule. You can zaino more or less if you wish. You be the judge. Maintain with weekly washings and Z6 quick detailing, and 1-2 times a year clay as needed. You never need to strip zaino down and start over, just keep layering on coats!

3. Z7 wash - do a search. Everyone that uses it with the zaino system will tell you it is probably their favorite product. Besides being a great wash, it really DOEs work with the system, and some of noticed that the car looks better and better and slicker after each Z7 wash. Check out my pics in the members section entitled "ZFX holding up well." I highly recommend using Z7 wash with the zaino system. I use 2 capfuls in a 5 gallon wash bucket and I get at least 4 months of weekly washings out of it.

4. Z6 - You will probably use the most of this. I use it only after my weekly wash, and just before layering on more Z2 and in between coats as directed. It works well with the zaino system. To save money, some people stretch it by mixing it 50/50 with distilled water and using that mixture after washes, and only using it full strength between /before layering on more Z2 or Z5 and for dust/dirt removal. Some people use other cheaper quick detailers as well, but before adding more Z2/Z5 I would Z7 wash to remove any films and Z6.

5. Meguires clay sucks in my opinion. Many people here agree with that. This has been discussed to death. Zaino clay works well. I also like clay magic and mothers.

Hope the helps......

JimO
01-25-2002, 01:41 PM
I actually bought the same products you`re considering buying. I have to maintain our 3 cars (and sometimes a 4th car). I have not yet used the Zaino kit, so I`m sorry I can`t give you advice about the ZFX, Z2, and Z5. But here`s what I plan on doing with the Z6 QD and Z7 wash:

Z6 QD: As others have suggested, I`ll just use the Z6 inbetween coats when applying the Z2/Z5. I`ll just use my Megiuar`s Final Inspection for minor clean ups and after regular washing.

Z7 Wash: I`m just going to use it before I apply Z2/Z5. For regular washes, I`ll just use Megiuar`s Gold Class.

I do plan on putting on many coats throughout the year, so I figure this is the best way for my supply to last. I`m shooting for 3 coats per session when using the ZFX.

DETAILKING
01-25-2002, 01:46 PM
When you see the results of a Z7 wash, I bet you don`t use anything else!

admac
01-25-2002, 01:48 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>5. Meguires clay sucks in my opinion. Many people here agree with that. This has been discussed to death. Zaino clay works well. I also like clay magic and mothers. [/b]</blockquote>
i agree. meguiars clay is just awful. i have one of them and am about to throw it away. the good news is, if this is the first clay bar you`ve owned, you`ll be amazed at how well clay can work when you get a better product. i have both mothers and clay magic. it`s a bit of a toss-up between them. but i do find clay magic to be more workable than motthers, which i have to smush back together to restore integrity when pulling apart and folding over.

Redcar GUY
01-25-2002, 01:51 PM
This is just my .02$

I have 2 cars that I use Z on, one is a show/weekend car and the other is a Daily driver. I use more Z5 than Z2, I like the way it looks better..... It is hard to tell how much you will need in a year to compare to another brand…

I try to use only 1 ounce of Z2/5 per application so that would be 16 applications per bottle for me, but it may be less/more for you? I think that the Z6 is verry important for between applications of Z2/5. And many will also say that the Z7 wash is the best part of the whole Z system, I think that it helps a ton..

I wish that I could help you more with the questions that you have:( If I was going to do to cars for a year on one order I would have to say this is what I would order if I were you, Based on what you are saying your planed number of applications are-

1-ZFX

1-Z5

2-Z6

2-Z7

and you might as well get the clay while your at it

Again this is just my opinion……..:) Get the Z you will love it!

imported_Intermezzo
01-25-2002, 02:01 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by 31st330i [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Z6 - the instructions on the Zaino site say to use this stuff sparingly as well but one 16oz hardly seems like a one year supply for one car let alone two. I presume that this should be used after every wash or two..??[/b]</blockquote>
I can guarantee you that it won`t last you a year if you use it regularly. However, one bottle should last you about 15 applications (as should any 16 oz bottle of QD). The best way to use it economically is to use two MF towels folded in half twice....one wrung damp and the other clean and dry. Spray 1 shot into the damp MF and wipe down a whole panel. Before the panel dries, buff to a shine with the clean & dry MF. Do this with each panel. In fact, with the smaller panels, spray a half shot. Z-6 is easily my favorite QD. Smells nice, streaks the least & slicks up your car the most. :) I pretty much use it on all my cars, Zaino or no Zaino.

31st330i
01-25-2002, 02:03 PM
okay...

so it sounds like this is a one year supply...

qty. 1 of Z2

qty. 1 of Z2

qty. 2 of ZFX

qty. 1 of clay (to replace the Meguiar`s) :)

qty. 6-7 of Z7 wash (this should also be watered down to use as lubricant for the clay bar)

I still don`t have a grasp on what might be a one year supply of the Z6. perhaps two bottles? I have two cars and like the idea of watering it down a little for regular applications after the weekly wash and using it full strength at the 5 month polish interval.

Lemonxxs
01-25-2002, 02:04 PM
The Z wash is awesome and is all I use on my baby...If you can afford it buy it..

The QD is good too but I save it for special occasions and between coats other wise I use FI or Sonus or CP or what ever else I have laying around between coats.

DETAILKING
01-25-2002, 02:10 PM
You don`t have to use it with every coat.

Also, I bet 4-5 bottles of Z7 wash should be enough for a year on your schedule and cars. Why not start out with only one, and if you like it you can get more as needed. Z6 should last about as long as your Z7, maybe a little longer. If you are going to stretch it, I would get about 2-3 bottles.

William420
01-25-2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Intermezzo330I
I can guarantee you that it won`t last you a year if you use it regularly. However, one bottle should last you about 15 applications (as should any 16 oz bottle of QD). The best way to use it economically is to use two MF towels</blockquote>

WOWW. I must be doing something wrong. :confused: I have 20 coats on the car, and I use Z6 both BEFORE and AFTER each coat, so that`s about 40 applications and my bottle is now almost empty. Judging by the formula of 15 applications/Bottle, I should spray double the amount from what I normally use. Guess I got a lot of Z6 spraying to do on my next wash :D :D

imported_Intermezzo
01-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Uhh, no. Don`t increase your usage. If you are able to get that many coats with one bottle, I wouldn`t change a thing. I generally get 15-20 coats per bottle. Perhaps <strong class=`bbc`>I`M[/b] doing something wrong :)

31st330i
01-25-2002, 03:31 PM
wow, so the zaino system will cost me almost twice as much as the Meguiar`s system that I presently use....

qty. 1 of Z2

qty. 1 of Z2

qty. 1 of ZFX

qty. 1 of clay (to replace the Meguiar`s)

qty. 4 of Z7 wash

qty. 4 of Z6 QD

$145.35 delivered (and I may need to replentish the Z6 & Z7 before the year is out)

#34, final inspection. 1 gal

#62, car wash. 1 gal

one bottle of medallion for paint (already have medallion cleaner and #7 SCG)

mother`s clay bar (to replace the evil meguair`s clay bar :p )

~$85 delivered (this will last over a year, like maybe 18 months)

the net result seems that I can reduce the number of times I do a complete wax/polish by one time a year per car (or twice a year total).

I get a pretty darned good shine with the current products and my cars are white so I don`t expect that much of an improvement in shine (but I expect at least a slight improvement).

so what else should I consider as a Zaino benefit for the $60 cost differential? I know i`m splitting hairs here but this is a forum to geek out on auto detailing. :)

can Zaino be slopped over onto the black mouldings without worry (like P21S and NOT like Medallion)?

imported_Intermezzo
01-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Benefits of ZSCP with ZFX:

UV Protection

No high solvents

No silicone or oils

Easy to use

Quick dry time

Quik cure time

Can layer multiple coats

Doesn`t stain trim

Can be applied in the sun

Dust repellant

Stain repellant

Very slick

Durable

Highly reflective

Excellent customer service from Sal

Gets shinier as time passes

Lemonxxs
01-25-2002, 03:57 PM
you can use any clay.

You only need to apply Z about twice a year after one coat...most do more because the look gets better.

2 bottles seems a lot and just use the QD for applying more layers of Z2 or Z5.

As for wash it is great stuff but if you wanna get cheap use Meg. gold class and buy it by the gallon.

So I have your shopping list down to:

1 ZFX

1 Z2

1 Z6 QD

Apply 3 coats to each car in January than 1 layer in June than another in say Nov or so or just put two more layers on in june.

Wash is optional but highly reccommended and the 1 bottle of Qd should last the amount of Z2 you have if you use another QD for in between washings.

If you are happy with current products stick with them. Also just buy what you need if you run low buy some more later.