PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I am new, but have some questions

Hyperion
01-23-2002, 07:39 PM
I like keeping my car clean, just as much as I am sure most of you like to keep your cars clean, but I lack some of the knowledge that allows me to keep my car looking its best. I am currently using Meguiar`s Gold Class Liquid wax. No complaints, but I want something that is going to make the finish a little smoother, and also protect a little better against dust and rain. I live in Southern California, and I unfortunately do not own a garage. So far keeping the car looking good has been pretty easy, but I was just wondering what type of wax is good for what I am looking for, and also I would like to know if a polish should be used on my car. The swirl marks (if you can call them that) are so small they can only be seen in extreme direct light, and even then they are small. So, I am just dropping in, saying hi, and hopefully I can learn alot.

~Hyper

kiltman
01-23-2002, 08:13 PM
Welcome your car looks great :up

Michael H
01-23-2002, 08:21 PM
Hyperion

Welcome aboard. Meguairs prep and Swirl remover will remove those swirls, but if they are really small, Klasse All in One may be able to solve the problem. I live in similar climate to California (except Sydney is better;)), Klasse All in One with some Klasse Sealant Glaze will do an excellent job on the car, plus they weather well in temperate climate. you will be very happy.

Redcar GUY
01-23-2002, 08:26 PM
welcome to the forum! Nice car!

Hyperion
01-23-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I try to keep it looking as good every day, but some times it is challenging.

I think I should have asked a different question. And I think I asked the wrong question because I did not know how to ask the correct question. So I will just breifly explain what I do with my surface then I can get some feed back.

Ok, I basically just cover the car with water, and wash away all the dirt particles. Depending on how dirty the car is I sometimes will not even use a soap. Once everything is cleaned off, if I am going to wax then I will use my chamois (sp) and dry off the car, then I will just use a hand application and then use a 100% terry cloth towel to buff off all the wax. Ya, it is not too hi-tech, but it gets the job done.

Now my question is, I have seen people saying they are using sealers, polishers, multiple coats, and they are letting the wax cure. I am using a liquid wax, and I think it is pretty much cured 5 minutes out of the bottle. I just do not know what I should be using on my cars finish. Should I be claybaring? I have heard people have issues with that, or should I be using a polish before my wax? What should I be doing?

Can anyone point me in the right direction at to what I should do? Maybe a thread on how to do a really good comprehensive detail on the outside. Because I am only using "1" product right now, I have seen people with long lists of products they use, any one got any suggestions?

imported_BretFraz
01-23-2002, 09:09 PM
hyperion,

Welcome to the Carport. This is a terrific resource for all things related to cars and detailing. Please spend some time searching the archives and all the various posts. I know you`ll learn alot.

Below is a repost of comments I made to another newbies who asked a very similar question:

If you are fairly new to car detailing and car care products then I highly recommend buying David`s e-book: Autopia Car Care`s Guide To Detailing.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/accgtd.html (`http://www.autopia-carcare.com/accgtd.html`)

Although I have years of experience with detailing I still found the book very informative and entertaining. It`s well worth the modest price.

The book will help you with techniques, tools, tips, and tricks, but best of all it helps you to create an overall vision of car care that can be applied to any car you own. Starting with a brand new car is the best canvas possible for your detailing creation and the advice in the book will help you maintain that showroom new look and feel.

After you`ve read the book and ordered some of the products suggested, this forum is a great place to ask specific question to your unique challenges.

Good luck.