PDA

View Full Version : MF Question

Pages : [1] 2

Katiescar
01-18-2002, 10:12 AM
Saw these great - really, really super thick MF mitts at a local Restoration Hardware store for $12. Looked like it would be great to wash the car with but then I got to wondering - if you guys reccomend only 100 percent cotton towels and chenille mitts to help prevent scratches and swirls then why don`t the synthetic fibers in MF scratch/swirl? Guess I`m just not understanding MF. Can anyone help?

Lemonxxs
01-18-2002, 10:39 AM
KAtie I use ther MF mitt from CMA on my truck. I love it. As long as you rinse it often and well you should not have problems...The fear is it will pick up some trash and this trash will not leave the mitt when rinsing it so it could scratch.

I only use this mitt above the molding line and when the truck does not have mud on it. FOr muddy cleanings I rinse the snot out of it then use a cotton chenile mitt then I go over it again with the MF mitt.

I find the MF mitt cleans better with less pressure.

imported_doug
01-18-2002, 10:46 AM
The "only 100% terry" myth is a hold over from a time before there were no microfiber towels. Microfiber towels` fibers are incredibly fine compared to cotton and do a better job of lifting/absorbing.

The fact is that neither good quality terry or microfiber towels will scratch your car - it is the inevitable stuff underneath them that does. You can scratch a car really, really well if you wipe ANYTHING (even your finger) on it when there is any dirt on the car. Poor quality towels of either type can scratch all by themselves.

The reason I like Microfiber towels better than terry is that I can buff wax off, or dry water, with far fewer "swipes" and still have a streak-free finish. Anything that you can do to reduce the number of swipes it takes to keep your paint pretty is a GOOD THING. Because you have to do more wiping with terry, you will get more scratches.

99323ic
01-18-2002, 11:28 AM
Plus, I find that MF rinses out easier than terry. MF seems to trap a lot less dirt in the mitt after rinsing. The (relatively) big loops in terry cloth seems to hold onto everything!

MF RULES!!

Don2000g
01-18-2002, 07:05 PM
Ahhhh! My loyal followers are increasing in numbers. There was actually a time where some individuals here scoffed at the idea of using or paying a good sum of money for high quality microfiber towels. "Nothing", they exclaimed, "Nothing can be better than cotton towels." Hehe!

And though I do really like the serged Charisma`s, its hard not to prefer a good Miracle towel (Magic towel).

bobdec
01-18-2002, 09:18 PM
Count me in a mf fanatic. Can`t beat a good mf.

01-18-2002, 10:50 PM
I did the "cd test" with a brand new cd. I had purchased MF towels from YoSteve and really like them, but a lot of guys on other forums were cautioning that MF would scratch your paint. I`m a Zaino distributor and own a lot of very fine Cannon Royal Velvet and even better Cannon Charisma towels. I really worked the cd over with the MF and Cannon towels. By "worked over", I mean I really scrubbed hard with both the MF and Cotton towels to give myself a worse case situation. The end result stunned me, the Cannon towels scratched the CD much worse that the MF towels! Keep in mind that there are lots of different brands and qualities of MF towels and they are showing up in about every kind of store out there, so all I can speak for ones I got from YoSteve.

jkochis
01-18-2002, 11:05 PM
Also keep in mind that your car is not coated with CD`s..... Kinda like giving your dog meds to see how it will affect you...

MF`s are great, but CD tests are invalid.

TortoiseAWD
01-19-2002, 07:22 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RH [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Also keep in mind that your car is not coated with CD`s..... Kinda like giving your dog meds to see how it will affect you...

MF`s are great, but CD tests are invalid. [/b]</blockquote>"Invalid" is perhaps too harsh of a word . . . while the CD test certainly won`t tell you if a given towel absolutely will/will not scratch clearcoat, it does allow you to compare the relative quality of two towels, as dlw`s test indicated (if one towel scratches a CD and another doesn`t, which would you rather use on your car?).

No, the testing method isn`t perfect, but IMO it`s good empirical data that can be had for the cost of sacrificing a $0.30 CD-R, or for free if you have a bunch of AOL disks laying around :D

Tort

P.S. Some cars <strong class=`bbc`>are[/b] coated with CDs (more pictures at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/1543/ (`http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/1543/`)) . . .

Lemonxxs
01-19-2002, 11:02 AM
Now that was funny looking!

imported_Intel486
01-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Why is the CD testing invalid? I`ve never done it before but hear it spoken of a lot on these boards. Now someone is saying it is invalid. Why?

jkochis
01-19-2002, 04:19 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intel486 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Why is the CD testing invalid? I`ve never done it before but hear it spoken of a lot on these boards. Now someone is saying it is invalid. Why? [/b]</blockquote>
A CD is softer than your car paint. The "theory" that people who "use" the CD test is that if it doesnt scratch a CD, it wont scratch your car. And that is a "valid" point. What is "invalid" is thinking (or stating as fact, as many people do) that if something scratches a CD that it will also scratch your car.

YoSteve
01-19-2002, 07:43 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RH [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>What is "invalid" is thinking (or stating as fact, as many people do) that if something scratches a CD that it will also scratch your car. [/b]</blockquote>
Yup, the CD test is only good for determining what won`t scratch your car, but not for what will scratch your car.

Only experimentation with your car for what works will determine if it does scratch it. If you use only stuff on your car that will not scratch a CD (mf, sponge applicator, etc) then you`re in good shape too. I use a cotton mitt for washing when I`m not using and MF.

Here`s an interesting test though. Scratch a CD with your finger nail, lightly like if you had a spec on your car. The CD holds up suprisingly well. What does that mean? the fingernail is not as "hard" as you think. Now take a synthetic mitt and wipe it across the CD and there you go, scratch city. Just to put things into perspective, sometimes you can`t tell by feel which object is inherently harder. Most people do the cheek test for softness. No one would ever think that a synthetic mitt is harder than your finger nail. Ah but it is, on a physical scale, it scratches the CD way more. Just some fiber for thought ;)

01-19-2002, 11:44 PM

Yup, the CD test is only good for determining what won`t scratch your car, but not for what will scratch your car.</blockquote>

Hmmm....I guess one can sit and argue all day about whether the "cd test" is scientifically viable or politically correct or whatever. If it shows me what "won`t scratch my car" (which seems a lot more useable and relevant to know than what "will scratch my car"), it seems like a heckuva good test to me. I`d run the test on a pumpkin if it helped me find out what won`t scratch my car! Of course, instead of running a test that cost me 50 cents for a cd disk, I could probably just buy some sort of dedicated mega-buck computer specially designed just for the purpose of eliminating the horrific possibility of error! My point is that I don`t think anyone can convince me that there`s any reason at all to get up tight about the "CD test". As I stated, I intentionally really scrubbed hard on the cd to see how much the cd was scratched by the materials. My scientific hypothisis is that if one or the other of the test materials scratched anything less than the other test material did, I`m gonna use the one on my car that scratched the least.

YoSteve
01-20-2002, 01:38 AM
http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3677&highlight=CD%2A (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3677&highlight=CD%2A`)

http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3686&highlight=CD%2A (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3686&highlight=CD%2A`)

I personally like and use the test. How else am I supposed to judge how well I like a shipment of microfiber towels from a softness stand point? I`d like to have a better way, how about the people that don`t like the test tell me and I`ll do that.