PDA

View Full Version : what polish for newer cars

Pages : [1] 2

Ryan
01-14-2002, 02:25 PM
I am looking to pick up a new polish from the stores. Until now, I have been using an all in one. Id like to get a product that is perfect for a newer car (1 year old) mainly mercedes and bmw. I was looking at imperial hand glaze but is there anything better or more sutied for these types of finishes. After the coat of polish, the wax would be applied most likely a polymer.

Thanks for the inputs,

Ryan

Brad B
01-14-2002, 02:47 PM
There are lots of choices. What are your goals? Durability? Shine? How often are you willing to detail or refresh the wax. Are the cars parked outside? Garaged?

FYI: Imperial Hand Glaze is a great glaze for hiding swirls and light scratches but is very low in durability. The fillers that hide defects start to dissipate in just a couple washes. It`s more of a show car product.

DETAILKING
01-14-2002, 02:57 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum...

I am in North Jersey too! What color is your bimmer? What are your goals and objectives? Are these daily drivers, garaged? Before we can recommend products to you, we need this information........

Ryan
01-14-2002, 07:25 PM
Its a benz and it is a daily driver. I am not sure of the color because it is a friend of a friends car. I would imagine its black white or silver. Id like to make it look great. Thanks.

Ryan

Ryan
01-14-2002, 07:26 PM
OH! Durability and shine would be a nice combo. Thanks

vdubrick
01-14-2002, 07:41 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>What color is your bimmer? What are your goals and objectives? Are these daily drivers, garaged? Before we can recommend products to you, we need this information........ [/b]</blockquote>
I don`t post here regularly and this maybe a bit Off-Topic, but I need to say this : I LOVE THIS BOARD. This board is for me like a Detail Clinic :D You come in, tell the doc your problem, get a prescription.

I really appreciate your efforts, the time, the enthusiasm and knowledge you put here, all of you. And I think you must change the name Autopia Archives into Encyclopedia Autopia, because there is no other source of information on the Net that is more comprehensive than the Archives.

Thank you and Happy Detailing

Deckard

Jngrbrdman
01-14-2002, 07:44 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Deckard [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>

I don`t post here regularly and this maybe a bit Off-Topic, but I need to say this : I LOVE THIS BOARD. This board is for me like a Detail Clinic :D You come in, tell the doc your problem, get a prescription.

I really appreciate your efforts, the time, the enthusiasm and knowledge you put here, all of you. And I think you must change the name Autopia Archives into Encyclopedia Autopia, because there is no other source of information on the Net that is more comprehensive than the Archives.

Thank you and Happy Detailing

Deckard [/b]</blockquote>
Another satisfied customer! :D :D

DETAILKING
01-14-2002, 08:39 PM
You were using an all in one step product before. If the car is properly prepped and new, then go with a non abrasive sealant like Zaino. You can layer on coats and increase shine and durability with each coat. Also the car wash and spray detailer were designed to work with the system. There is no guessing and it works well. Shine is great....more on the reflective side, and durability is great too.......at least a few months of gloss, water beading, and slickness.......

Redcar GUY
01-14-2002, 08:44 PM
what the king guy said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!

Lemonxxs
01-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Deckard that was great and the truth..Maybe david ought to use that somewhere...DAVID????

miguelgf
01-14-2002, 09:00 PM
I love the effect that Klasse AIO and SG had on my 2002 Mercedes ML320. I took delivery from the dealer specifying they shouldn`t TOUCH the car`s paint (not even so much as to spray it with water). To the wife`s chagrin, of course - as she wasn`t too thrilled about having a costly new car start off it`s service dirty.

The next day - I clayed the car, and when I was done, it was baby smooth and shiny - I almost felt that Klasse was overkill. Boy, was I wrong! When I was done, I had a great looking car, shiny (despite the white color). Two washings (and now a wax) later, the car still looks great, despite some crappy weather and two months of driving in between.

Chuckmotor
01-14-2002, 09:05 PM
Just wondering, but was it completely neccessary to clay bar a brand new car? I`m actually not too familiar with claying, but from what I understand, it seems to be used to remove defects. But if it helps and works, I guess I`m wrong!!

Lemonxxs
01-14-2002, 09:09 PM
NEw cars have contaminates from the rail transport called rail dust...do the baggie check

Put your hand in a plastic sandwich baggy and run it accross the paint... if bumpy you have contaminates.

pretty cool the first time you do it than clay it...amazing actaully!!

Ryan
01-14-2002, 09:17 PM
The clay actually makes the paint so slick that its much easier to polish and wax too.

BradE
01-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Guess is right on about claying new cars. Go to a dealership sometime and do a check on some of the new cars sitting on the lot. I think you would be really stunned at how much embedded crap is really on a new car.