PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever detail boats?

Steve @ Guru
01-12-2002, 12:13 AM
A business friend noticed my Tahoe and after picking his jaw up off the ground (always the best compliment), he asked if I`d detail his boat.

I said that I`d never detailed a boat before, but I`d consider it. He then said that the guys at the local marina`s are upset because they can`t find anyone to detail their boats...and when they do, they`re paying $1500 for a crappy detail.

So, I`m thinking...hmmm, 4 boats a month = $6000....hmmmm....

Curious if anyone`s detailed a boat, and if the normal products/techniques apply?

Thanks again.

-Steve

Oh yeah - his boat is a 32 footer, so it would take a while but for $1500 I`m seriously considering it!

boywonder
01-12-2002, 08:49 AM
I am also interested in this as well.

Lemonxxs
01-12-2002, 11:08 AM
My father has always had boats and I always had to clean them..his were larger say twice the length..

The interior and such is just like a house or car depending on the boat (yacht)...Some have the plastic windscreens so use the plastic stuff there...

As for washing we always used tide or such to remove all the gunky salty marine stuff. He would buy crap from Wext Marine so I would use those products as well.

Try not to get asked to do from the rubrail down to the water...MAjor PIAAAAA..unless the boat is on a trailer...

teak trim is a PIA too because you have to get two part cleaners and stuff and very time consuming....

Take a look at the boat if it is mostly painted you could treat it like car paint and be ok..I would reco a PC though for time saving.

Now my father pays a bunch of scantily clad woman to clean his boat....

Jngrbrdman
01-12-2002, 01:27 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]Now my father pays a bunch of scantily clad woman to clean his boat.... [/B]</blockquote>
Where does he dock his boat again? ;)

I thought about doing boats but they do get nasty. I`m glad I moved further inland so I don`t have to be tempted. Although, some of the cars I`ve seen in Salt Lake this year look crustier than most of the boats I saw in Seattle...... (damn salt!)

Steve @ Guru
01-12-2002, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all of the tips - I`ll take a look at them and make a "safe" decision after that. Definitely would use the PC and was even thinking of trying a power washer on them.

Thanks again,

Steve

Scottwax
01-13-2002, 01:53 AM
I`ve detailed speed boats and bass boats, but never a yatch. I use Meguiars RV/Boat surface care products-but if the gel coat is faded, it just takes way too long to bring them back, and they begin fading again is just a few months. The vinyl seats are also real tough-sun exposure, sun tan lotion and sweat make a really nasty grime. For an open boat (like a speedboat), I charge $7.50 a foot-so a 20 foot speedboat would run about $150 and would take a good 5 hours.

I`ve pretty much stopped doing boats-people don`t take good care of them, they never drain any of the insulated compartments so they absolutely reek of mildew, and it just really isn`t worth the time and effort. I prefer doing cars and motorcycles anyway.

I also used to do RVs also-and the older ones could be really tough. Again, the incredible amount of time they take to really detail eats up too much of my week. A 40` rig takes two full days to do, and with regular business on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of every week, it eliminates doing any other business on Monday and Tuesday. I do wash a 44` tour bus though-the guy has a pressure sprayer and water ionizer at his warehouse, so I just wash and let it air dry. I also spray down the engine and clean the windows and dress the tires. Takes about 3.5 hours and I get $120.

jimmybuffit
07-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Yeah, but it is still relevant.

Boats take a long time.

Boats are seldom painted, and gelcoat is a different thing, to be sure!

But, $1500 is enticing...

Jim

ncal
07-28-2004, 03:58 PM
A wiseman once told me that if you don`t really like the job, bid it over so you won`t get it. But if you do get it, atleast you`re making good money!

Turbonator
07-28-2004, 09:23 PM
i like ncal`s advice the best `cause i`m starting to deal with alot of boats down this way(New Orleans) and they are a definite PITA. i hate`em, but it`s hard to pass up $50/hr. my prices will be going up at the first of the year though to at least $65/hr. i find boats to be very unrewarding and the gel coat just seems to soak up a ton of product. it`s not so bad if the boat is well kept, but all the one`s i seem to be dealing with only get a waxing once a year if they`re lucky. if i could get $1500/ boat - you better believe i`m detailing for two full days if i have to.

hondaguy2582
07-28-2004, 09:29 PM
ive detailed yahcts, 30 footers(search for sea ray detail), and jetskis. You need a rotary and you need to work fast if you want to get it done. Most boats in tip top shape can be done with finesse it 2 and topped with collinite wax or #16. Otherwise, you need to have a compound before the finesse it 2 if the gelcoat is oxidized.

I think everyone should detail a boat to get the experience. Great way to learn on a rotary too(just dont` sit). Just remember, time is money, and having another person following behind will save you lots of time.

PrecisionOnline
07-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Jimmy Buffit,

Sorry to say, you won`t get $1,500 for a boat unless its over 60 feet. Normal market will bare around $12-16 per foot and that just includes everything except the cabin area. Usually the cabing is $75-100 more.

But still, there is a killing to be made in boat detailing since there isn`t much competition for the reasons mentioned on here -- it`s a PITA. It can be fun if you let it be fun. Nothing is better than working at a marina on a 75 degree, sunny spring afternon -- along the river/ocean.

sonnydaze1, the reason the gel coat is sucking up the product is because more oxidation needs to be removed. Gel coats are VERY durable and can take a good high speed polishing with very abrasive compounds/polishes then produce a great shine.

I detail boats almost everyday and love it. Again, lots of money to be made doing it! Just more labor intensive than detailing cars.

Good luck in yourventures if you decide to do boats!

Take care,

Brian Angelucci

Precision Auto & Marine

Scottwax
07-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Great points, Brian!

Like I stated above though, I really have gotten out of boat detailing because I don`t enjoy it and most of the calls I get are for boats in absolutely hideous condition. I did detail one this year though and it was in pretty good shape to begin with so it wasn`t too much of a grind.

3Wheeler
07-31-2004, 02:20 AM
I`m not sure I`d have a standard "per foot" charge.....each one is different, requiring more or less time depending on neglect, amount of wood etc. An hourly rate would be way safer. And whatever you do, make sure that you`re not going to arrive all ready to go, only to find she`s out of the water on stands, with the guy wanting you to "detail" her barnacle covered bottom too. :scared

That`s at least a quadruple hourly rate job, in my view (been there, done that, hated it).

hondaguy2582
07-31-2004, 03:01 AM
You need helpers to complete a boat that is of big size. In all honesty, 2 or 3 ppl doing a detail is mandatory. Dont believe me, find out the hard way, cause I know how its done!!!!!!

boarderx
07-31-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ncal

A wiseman once told me that if you don`t really like the job, bid it over so you won`t get it. But if you do get it, atleast you`re making good money!

Great advice. Just a few days ago I was supposed to detail a boat. They guy told me he used to get it cleaned and waxed for $125. I told him I would wash it and throw a coat of wax on for $150. That was a month ago. He finally got back to me and scheduled a day to do it. Before I left my house to do the boat I called the guy to verify what he wanted done. He then told me he wants everything done - wash, wax , chrome polished, seats cleaned and treated, etc. He also wanted 2 coats of wax applied. I told him I`d have to charge more than the original quote so I gave hime a price of $10 per foot which came out to $250. He then went on to questiion me on what happened to the $150 charge. I guess he didn`t know what the cost of a real detail is. He said "the place I take it to in Delaware only charges me $150." Fine with me, take it to Delaware! Delaware is about 3 hours from us by the way!

I told him that most of the boat detailers I talked with - mostly from online forums - normally charge from $12 - $15 per foot.. He still didn`t change his mind and canceled the detail.