PDA

View Full Version : Sears and Reservists

CharlesW
06-17-2004, 10:31 AM
This information was posted on another board I read pretty regularly.
Seemed like it was worth passing on.

Subject: About Sears--very interesting

Assume you have all seen the reports about how Sears is treating America`s military reservist employees who are called up?
By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up...but listen to this!

Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years. I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution. Suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves. Pass it on.

So I decided to check it out before I sent it forward. I sent the following e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:

I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is, the Internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement for your store. I know I would go out of my way to buy products from Sears instead of another store for a like item
even if it was cheaper at the other store.

Here is their answer to my e-mail......................

Dear Customer:

Thank you for contacting Sears.

The information is factual. We appreciate your positive feedback. Sears regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden they bear at this time.

Bill Thorn
Sears Customer Care
web center@sears.com
1-800-349-4358

Charles

AutopiaAdmin
06-17-2004, 10:35 AM
I always did like Sears. I really miss the humoungous catalog and they have awesome tools with a no hassle lifetime guarantee.

I live really close to one that has been around for what seems forever so maybe I need to go on over and buy Bob Villa`s latest Craftsman gizmo.

Dwayne

rhillstr
06-17-2004, 11:52 AM
My only gripe about the craftsman no hassle guarantee is they have changed some parts of it.

1. Now you get refurb tools.
I brought a ratchet in that I broke :naughty and they gave me refurb claiming it`s their new policy. I keep my tools pristine (until I break them) and the one they gave me looked like it was dragged on a string behind a truck across the country.

2. Second READ CAREFULLY. I ran to Sears buying craftsman for the guarantee but not all craftsman tool qualify!!! My jack broke and it had a measly 1 year guarantee. In fact only hand tools (that`s a subjective term as it is) are covered by lifetime guarantee and then not 100% of hand tools.

I still like Sears but just make sure you check on the waranty if you buying craftsman tools now. That said I still like Sears a lot more than Lowe`s or HD, and now that I`ve heard about this policy with Reservists, I like them even more!

TQB
06-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Thats very incouraging....I usually buy only tools at sears.

CharlesW
06-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by rhillstr
My only gripe about the craftsman no hassle guarantee is they have changed some parts of it.

1. Now you get refurb tools.
I brought a ratchet in that I broke :naughty and they gave me refurb claiming it`s their new policy. I keep my tools pristine (until I break them) and the one they gave me looked like it was dragged on a string behind a truck across the country. Had the same experience last year. I actually wouldn`t accept the first one they tried to give me.
Just my opinion, but I really don`t think the Craftsman line of tools has anywhere near the quality it once had.
Don`t even get me started on Die-Hard batteries.

Charles

rhillstr
06-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Charles I must agree with you on the lowered quality. Still great (and cheap) for DIY`er and amateurs who don`t have thousands for Snap-On or MAC, but just not what they used to be.

Focusedonsound
06-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Its great to hear that there are still big corperations that have hearts just as big!

As for the quality of Craftsmen tools...and for that matter most of the tools Sears sells. Before Home Depot and Lowes came into the picture the only place to really get any kind of tools was at sears! Yes you could get Mac or Snap-on but we all know that they are not as available to the average joe. So with that said for the money and the easy of getting to a sears craftsmen is still a very good solution!

rabbi
06-17-2004, 02:22 PM
I too will patronize Sears. I`ve never had any problems with their craftsman tools.

1999NCSU
06-17-2004, 02:53 PM
I heard this through email and my first reaction was BS. I checked it out and found it to be the truth.

Snopes.com says its TRUE (http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp)

Very Classy:bigups

BaDm0theR
06-17-2004, 04:26 PM
That`s fantastic of them to do so, ill spread the word.

Bravo Sears!

perry
06-19-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by 1999NCSU
I heard this through email and my first reaction was BS. I checked it out and found it to be the truth.

Snopes.com says its TRUE (http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp)

Very Classy:bigups

I checked snopes before reading through the thread.. always take email forwards with a very large grain of salt.

Snopes has links to two lists of companies that go above and beyond their legal responsibilities. Seems that Sears isn`t the only "good" company deserving of recognition.

I`m not a big shadetree mechanic (I break more than I fix it seems ;) ), so I`ve only seen two handtools break. One was a cheap no-name wratchet from Pep boys and the other was a Husky brand 3/8 wratchet.. In defense of the Husky, it turned out my roommate was pushing on the thing the wrong way, trying to get a bolt to break free on his K car... I think he was laying under the car with the wratchet was pointing down and I guess he didn`t have his orientation right.

clean4u
06-19-2004, 06:18 PM
I always give Sears a BIG:bigups Heres to all our troops over seas:beer