PDA

View Full Version : Windshield rain repellent

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

yzf996fxdwg
12-28-2001, 09:23 PM
I am a Zaino fan but I have not used it on my windshield. Would you guys recomend it or something else if you drive in a lot of rain? Thanks.

dtraylor
12-28-2001, 09:41 PM
I cant really personally speculate on the Zaino, but I would stay away from Rain X, I hate that stuff! I`m not the only one either. All it does is haze and smear. I`ve tried sprays, the straight liquid, the wipes, all horrible :down Eagle 1 20/20 works pretty good as far as beading off the water and stuff, I like it. I have heard good things on the Zaino, but I forget which of the products it was. I know others can fill in the blanks for me. I just wanted to add my bit on Rain X :)

kiltman
12-28-2001, 10:20 PM
Hi Bump

Did you buff the rain X off with a damp towel after the first time you applied it. It hazes up when you put it on, let it dry, then try a damp towel . I have never had problem you speak of.HMMM I wonder if different types of glass react different to the product? I wonder if some windshields are coated ?

dtraylor
12-28-2001, 11:19 PM
I never used a damp towel, but I dont recall the directions saying to use a damp towel to remove. I have used Rain X on Ford, Dodge, and Oldsmobile windshileds and got the same results on all three :confused:

kiltman
12-28-2001, 11:48 PM
The directions do say sprinkle with water and wipe until clear. I just use a damp towel. If you have any left, give the damp towel a try. Let me know

dengelson
12-28-2001, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the crazy cleaning crew! Let`s see if I have this right... you ride a Yamaha sport bike and a Harley Dyna Wide Glide and you drive a `99 or newer Porsche.

[cheers & fanfare]Johnny tell Short Cut what he has won! {drumroll} A brand new car! [/cheers & fanfare] :D

yzf996fxdwg
12-29-2001, 12:22 AM
Yamaha yzf 250, Ducati 996S and the Harley. Workin on the Porsche..............

Scottwax
12-29-2001, 12:29 AM
I have to agree with Bump-not only does Eagle 20/20 Glass Cleaner do a great job cleaning, but it lays down a water repellent coating that is streak and smear free.

Why spend the extra money and time on Rain X when 20/20 cleans and repels water?

dtraylor
12-29-2001, 01:11 AM
Ah, now that you mention the "sprinkle with water" part, I remember. I know I sprinkled it with water when I used the swipes on my windshield, and I still got poor results. When I used it on the Oldsmobile, I used the kind straight from the bottle, but I dont think I sprinkled it with water. On mine it looked ok just looking at it, but when you got at a certain angle or inside you could see all the smears :eek:

DETAILKING
12-29-2001, 12:42 PM
easy and great results.......

Jngrbrdman
12-29-2001, 01:33 PM
There is an easy way to apply RainX and never get any streaks or smears. Just apply it right before you wash your car. Put it on real heavy and then when you wash your car make sure you hit your windshield with either the brush or a sponge. It totally eliminates all streaks and glare. I`ve been using RainX for years this way and I`ve never had any problems. Most of my customers ask me what I did to their windshield because they can`t see anything on it but they see the RainX working.

Ron Ketcham
12-29-2001, 01:53 PM
AquaPel is a flurotelamer resin that is applied to the glass, vs RainX, which is a dimethal silicone resin.

PPG makes AquaPel and is hard to find, but our companies testing as well as Ford and DCX, have shown the product to be superior to all dimethal products.

Should be, since it was developed and is produced by one of the largest coating and glass producers in the world.

Ketch

:bounce

BradE
12-29-2001, 01:59 PM
Ron is right on about Aquapel. I have it on my Lincoln and it rules, it`s waaaay better than Rain-X. With Aquapel there is no smearing or hazing with the wipers at all......zero none. I am not a fan of Rain-X either, it smears when you use the wipers and degrades you wiperblades quickly. As someone on this board put it, Rain-X sucks.

yzf996fxdwg
12-29-2001, 07:47 PM
Great forum! Between the responses here and doing a search I have lots of things to try. Already had bad experiences with rain-x and that seems to be the consensus here. By the way, just tried Zaino on the chrome on my Harley..........Wow.

kiltman
12-29-2001, 08:22 PM
Hi Ron,

Where do you buy this AquaPel ? I would like to try some.