PDA

View Full Version : Layering Zaino

tattoowdr
12-25-2001, 12:44 AM
I am a first time Zaino user, and everything seems to be going very well, but I have a question. After prepping my car, I applied Z1, followed by Z5, waited aprox. 5 hours for Z5 to dry (it`s cold out!), and buffed off. Now, I know I have to wait another 24 hours before applying my next coat of Z5. Can I drive the car during these 24 hours? It seems like if I re-washed it with Z7, and used Z6 before applying my next coat it should be fine. Is this correct? I`m also worried about driving the car without any protection. Does the Z5 alone provide adequate protection for a short time? This car is a daily driver, so I really do not have time to let it cure for 24 hours in the garage, but I would like to layer with the proper cure time. Thanks for any advice! Have a Merry Christmas!

Redcar GUY
12-25-2001, 12:55 AM
Ya you can just rewash Z6 then add more z coats, The Z5 is "thicker" than z2 and will protect better than Z2. I like Z5 better:) and Ya let it cure 24hrs:)

DETAILKING
12-25-2001, 01:32 AM
I applied Z2 today on my bimmer in 45 degree weather and it dried in less than an hour. I kept the car outside in the sun. Zaino loves the outdoors! Don`t be afraid to keep the car outside. My car never sees a garage, and 2-3 weeks after I apply my last coat the car seems to keep looking better and better after Z7 washes. The reflections are clearer and more colorful. It`s awesome. I ask every zaino user to keep an eye out for this....it really is incredible.

You can drive the car, wash with Z7, Z6 and apply Z2 or Z5 again. You can also space the coats out over a few weekends. One coat of Z5 is plenty of protection, and should last a while. Z2 and Z5 are very close in durability, with the edge going to Z5, as it is a thicker polish.

If you don`t drive the car, use some Z6 in between to insure no dust or dirt settled on the paint. Either way you can`t go wrong, and like I said, don`t be afraid to space out the layers over a few weekends. Try to work outside on cold days in the sun, and zaino should dry quickly.

So how did the first coat turn out? What kind and color car?

iforcev8
12-25-2001, 02:45 AM
So is Z5 the same as Z2? But Z5 has ``stuff`` in it to fill out swirl marks?

imported_Intermezzo
12-25-2001, 03:49 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by iforcev8 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>So is Z5 the same as Z2? But Z5 has ``stuff`` in it to fill out swirl marks? [/b]</blockquote>
As far as I know, yes. As a result, Z-2 has a higher level of optical clarity.

Rob Howard
12-25-2001, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE]<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
[B]I applied Z2 today on my bimmer in 45 degree weather and it dried in less than an hour. I kept the car outside in the sun. Zaino loves the outdoors! Don`t be afraid to keep the car outside. My car never sees a garage, and 2-3 weeks after I apply my last coat the car seems to keep looking better and better after Z7 washes. The reflections are clearer and more colorful. It`s awesome. I ask every zaino user to keep an eye out for this....it really is incredible.

DK is soooo right. I applied another coat of z2 last week, mind you, this is probably the 3rd or 4th coat, and for some reason, my car is glowing even more! It was already glowing, but now, it is much more clearer. I get stares all the time but nobody ever asks me what I am using. Call me stingy, but some people who detail their cars in my neighborhood and think that their car looks good, ever ask me what I am using, I will say Turtle...... Wax:-) Zaino is the best that have ever happened to my Ac! I buy zaino from kevin overall just about every week so that next year I will not have to buy any. Loaded up on z-2, z-5, z-6, z-7 and z-16! Merry Christmas and have a safe new year!

tattoowdr
12-25-2001, 09:28 AM
I`m very pleased with how my first coat turned out. My car is a `97 black Honda Prelude with quite a few swirls in the paint. I bought some 3M SMR to use on it, but after reading about the hazing it has caused on Honda/Acura paints, decided to go the safe route and use only Z5. Although the car is very smooth and shiny so far, the swirls are still fairly visible. I`m planning to do 2 or 3 more coats and hopefully that will help hide the swirls. I have one more question though. I remember reading that products which only fill in swirls will wash off after a few washes. This isn`t true for the Z5? Thanks!

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-25-2001, 10:36 PM
welcome...:) i have about 15 coats of Z5/2on my car....the Z5 without a doubt will cover/fill swirls in the Zaino layer...i havent had a great success with it covering swirls that i had in my paint layer.....but once i had the paint the way i liked it....then just kept Zainoing....if i then got any swirls...in the Z layers....Z5 was awesome at making them disappear.....and it did not" go away".... as you put it....especially if you wash with Z7 and Qd with Z6....the "bonding` gets stronger for me anyway....ive used FI for Qding and although i still love it....my Z always looks better...more candy appled when i stay with the whole Z system.....IMHO....i too use alot more Z5 then Z2.....just for the deeper effect it has on my cars look....cool!!!:up

imported_Intermezzo
12-26-2001, 03:00 AM
In his review, DavidB mentioned that after 6 coats of Z-5 mixed with ZFX, the swirls in his clearcoat became invisible. Granted, I`m sure his swirls were very light, but I got the impression that even if 3 coats doesn`t fill the swirls in your clearcoat, you shouldn`t assume that your swirls are too deep to be filled. Maybe applying 6 coats or more (preferably mixed with ZFX) will make your swirls less and less visible.