PDA

View Full Version : 3M scratch remover

colinc
12-21-2001, 12:46 AM
I just bought a few bottles of this stuff at the local auto parts store and I am VERY impressed. I am assuming it is a light compound because it claims to remove 1500 grit sanding scratches, and boy does it ever. It`s virtually foolproof as well, even when I don`t buff it enough, it leaves no scratches on the car. I follow it up with some FI2 and it really works wonders. Just thought I`d share it with you folks. Never thought I`d find a good miracle worker at the auto parts store!

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-21-2001, 12:54 AM
tell me more about how you put it on and all....did it leave alot of residue???have you washed your car since using it??..very curious...thx for the post:up

colinc
12-21-2001, 02:06 AM
I used a microfiber towel to apply it (one of my Nicsand ones) it really messes up the towel, but you can feel the abrasives working their way into the paint. I`ve put it on a couple of cars now, follwing it with Klasse and Blitz. Bothe have been washed twice since, and no sign of it diminishing. I will put some on tomorrow and use alcohol to try and remove it. It didn`t leave a residue when I buffed it with a MF towel.

Colin

imported_doug
12-21-2001, 03:03 AM
Is this a new product? Hadn`t heard of it.

Seems like 3M and Meguiar`s are really after each other. Meguiar`s released a product a few months ago called Scratch-X that I have tried and I`m also very impressed with it - it seems to get scratches out, but as you say for the 3M stuff it is also very forgiving - leaves a beautiful glossy finish.

12-21-2001, 04:28 AM
thx alot dood...as carguy hinted to...1 more damn thing i gotta buy now....:p :D and ill of course have to get some new MF`s to sacrafice...cant kill one of my baby`s in the stash i have now...:)

12-21-2001, 04:38 AM
can you describe the bottle..i cant find it on the 3M webiste...does it look like the tube the Meguiars scratch-x comes in or the typical 3M container....or you could post a pic...if u were a nice guy.............:p

JonB
12-21-2001, 04:53 PM
I`m pretty sure that 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound will remove 1500 grit scratches. I have used it following touch ups and leave a nice smooth polished surface.

H

colinc
12-21-2001, 06:09 PM
I did a little test with the scratch remover. I applied and worked it in to a bad area on my Jeep. I then followed it with some meguiars clearcoat body scrub, which usually removes polishing and filler oils from my paint. The scratch remover did not go away. I don`t think it has filler oils. Another thing it worked well for was removing very old water spots from my buddy`s black 99 Volvo S80. As long as you buff it contiuously, it doesn`t leave a haze of any kind. I follow it with FI2 just to be on the safe side, though.

12-21-2001, 10:14 PM
i cant find it on the web anywhere....pls dont ignore the Flonmeisters posts dood...its Xmas....im so sensitive.....seriously...like i said before...does it look like the meguiars scratch-x container...or does it appear like the other 3M FI/PI bottles.thx dood.....i forgive u my son:p ;) :D

colinc
12-22-2001, 12:43 AM
Oh, the bottle looks just like the SMR and IHG bottles, except it`s a smaller scale bottle (maybe 7-8 oz at most). It`s dark gray with pic of a chrysler minivan on the front. You know how the 3M stuff is color-coded (IHG is purple, SMR for dark cars is maroon) well this stuff has a teal/blue colored sticker. Almost every Schuck`s Auto Parts Store has it. HOWEVER, just recently, they have put it on clearance for half price, and separated it from the rest of the products (was $6.99/bottle, now $3.99), which makes me wonder if maybe they`re retiring it. Hope not.

12-22-2001, 12:46 AM
yeah..unfortuantely thats most commonly the case...thx for the info though:up