PDA

View Full Version : leather

riverafjr
12-19-2001, 10:43 PM
which product is better hide food or lexol leather conditioner

12-19-2001, 11:10 PM
neither, use leatherique!! Best stuff, keeps leather soft and supple.

riverafjr
12-19-2001, 11:12 PM
i saw there website,seems like most products are for restoration which product is for new leather

miguelgf
12-19-2001, 11:33 PM
Hefty-

Leatherique is also used for preservation - that`s what the Prestine Clean is for. The Rejuvenator oil is something you`d want to save for older leather.

Despite having Leatherique - I`ve decided to leave the leather seats `in the nude` for a few months, to let the factory applied protectants wear off. Once that`s done, I`ll probably apply some 303 Aerospace Protectant - if it`s as good on leather as it is on vinyl, I`ll be very pleased with it.

Josiah
12-20-2001, 12:21 AM
Leatherique is for non clear coated leather, isn`t it? As is Lexol Leather Conditioner.

Correct me if I`m wrong..

Josiah

riverafjr
12-20-2001, 12:28 AM
i have a 02 mercedes benz c 240 are the leather inserts clear coated?

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-20-2001, 12:36 AM
made it clear that Lexol aint getting thru the clear into the seat...and as at least 2 posters on here who really sound like the know the leather industry have said....nothing...nothing is getting thru the clear into the seats....no matter what the label says....but...i have a bottle of Pinnacle conditioner and you can bet im gonna use it...sparingly yes...i think my conclusion is at this point...any conditioner i put on my seats...is merely cosmetic....like i love the Pinnacle smell....but for protection i go with 303....so 303 1x mth...and pinnacle about every 2-3 mths....this is all besides washing every wk with soap/water and MF....this debate is still ongoing and i think besides Mf`s and Polymers/abrasives...is one of the biggest topics on Autopia...although what happens is we reach an impass with what all these facts mean and the thread goes away...but it never really gets a definitive answer.....:confused: :).........and i fell that i have continued this honorable tradition in this post as well...:p

rstype
12-20-2001, 01:17 AM
With the leather issue, any conditioner will work on any leather, top-coated or not. It’s just that if it is coated, then the conditioner would not soak into the actual leather, just leave a softer surface.

I like to switch products on leather; a conditioner to soften 2-3 times a year, and a protectant (such as 303) about every 3 weeks to protect against UV damage.

To check if the leather is top-coated or not, put a drop of water on it. If it repels the water, then it is coated. If it does soak in, then it isn’t.

Lemonxxs
12-21-2001, 01:45 PM
Some words I heard from some vendors and Leather Orgs I found on the web a few weeks ago.

The coating in some leather is in the dye. It is actually a part of the dye used to color the leather. Leather conditioners will work but take longer to soak through the tiny holes in the dye to get to the leather. The new dyes were developed in part to the EPA rules covering chemicals used in tanning leather. The old method of using CHROME has been shunned due to the use of the heavy metal which contaminates drinking water.

Water will bead up on regular leather if it has some protectant like 303 or such on it.