PDA

View Full Version : Removing that window tint - now what?

jeff warden
12-19-2001, 06:47 PM
Hi all,

The window tint that is on my car is illegal in my state, so it has to go. I haven`t decided whether to replace it with a lighter shade or just go without tint entirely, and could use some input. The car is located in sunny North Carolina but generally is parked in covered parking during the day.

The greatest concern I have is damage to the dash and seats from UV. The car is a 13 year old BMW and has no cracking or fading on the interior. Recently I drove the same model and vintage car as mine that belongs to a friend. The dash was covered with big cracks and the seats were wasted due to sun damage.

So here is the big Q: Are there wipe-on products for the dash and other interior parts that will prevent cracking on old cars well? As well as UV blocking window tints?

Thanks,

Jeff

iforcev8
12-20-2001, 01:29 AM
Although I am a newbie myself, I have heard nothing but good things about 303 Protectant. I use it on my light dash, and its not as greasy looking as Armor all, but it smells kinda similar to it. I believe the difference is that it is water based.

Zeno01
12-20-2001, 02:38 AM
303 is great protection against UV. ALthough I don`t know what it`s called, there is a totally clear window "tint" material which is supposed to add UV protection--although I`m no expert on tinting.

Preachers Sheets
12-20-2001, 08:39 AM
303 is the way to go. It will stop the harmful UV rays you are worried about and it looks really good. It has the "new" car look. It looks like the plastic/dash/trim is wet from the factory. It does not have the slimy/grease look that 90% of the other products I used have. It seems as when you apply it, if you wait 5-10 minutes it "soaks" itself into the dash for a really really good look. Other products sit of top of the dash and make it shine while 303 soaks into the dash to make it look good.

Jeepers creepers, for crying out loud, did I give enough examples or what. I got my own brain on overload (gotta finish the coffee).

This is how I would recommend you to use 303"

wash dash with soap

use damp cloth over dash to absorb and collect soap/dirt/dust

wait for dash to dry

apply 303 everywhere

give it 10 minutes and apply again

Between newly cleaned carpets and 303, my interior looks just about brand new.

Preachers Sheets
12-20-2001, 08:40 AM
Oh yea!!! 303 stops the cracking.

:bounce :D

Don2000g
12-21-2001, 07:03 PM
Yes, regular use of 303 on your dash may very well prevent cracking. Awesome product.