PDA

View Full Version : Paint overspray, how do i get it off?

Bluedog
12-18-2001, 04:55 PM
my friend recently got his front bumper painted. the shop was fairly cheep and ended up having over spray on the hood, fenders, and other parts near the bumper. he asked me what i can do to take it off and i suggested to first try claybarring... but that didnt work. i told him to try something abraisive like 3M fI-II and Meguiars paint boddy scrub.

but im getting the feeling those wont work either. so im here to ask my teachers;) is there anything a normal person can use to get paint overspray off? im not exactly sure what kind of paint or if its the primer or clear or the base coat thats oversprayed here...

thanks in advance!

(love the holiday decorated "AUTOPIA" by the way:up :p )

offcenter
12-18-2001, 05:29 PM
It`s time for clay bar! That will remove the overspray. Read the posts on clay magic, here and under product reviews.

vettefan67
12-18-2001, 05:55 PM
Hey Ng,

Which claybar did you try already? Overspray is much harder to remove than the normal fallout kinds of junk on paint so you will have to do more passes than usual.

If more passes doesn`t work, try a different claybar. Try using a harsher one, for example the RED Clay Magic. It`s for overspray but notice that it is harsher on your paint so be careful.

I don`t have experience with harsher claybars, but I did get some very firmly attached paint off of my bumper that got there from someone scraping along a wall. I did this with MOTHERS clay after 20 passes or less.

An archive search will yield a number of threads.

Bluedog
12-18-2001, 05:58 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Hey Ng,

If more passes doesn`t work, try a different claybar. Try using a harsher one, for example the RED Clay Magic. It`s for overspray but notice that it is harsher on your paint so be careful.

[/b]</blockquote>
thanks! what brand is the RED clay magic anyways? and i can get it at CMA right? i have to see what kind of clay he used...

offcenter
12-18-2001, 06:05 PM
Ng,

The red clay bar can be found here:
http://www.sparkleauto.com/auto_magic_specialty_items.html (`http://www.sparkleauto.com/auto_magic_specialty_items.html`)

BradE
12-18-2001, 06:09 PM
rad21,

Check your PM`s

Thanks.

Bluedog
12-18-2001, 07:09 PM
thats a pretty expensive clay bar... is there an even stronger one than the red and blue?

imported_doug
12-18-2001, 07:43 PM
No paint shop can claim `this is the way we do it"? why not just take it back there and demand they make it right?

rmccall6
12-18-2001, 08:21 PM
I think Ron sugested mineral spirits. Said it should take off the oversrpay and be fine for the clearcoat. If the clay doesnt work, or if you want to but a can of mineral spirits for 3 bucks at home depot first