PDA

View Full Version : Clay Magic

Pages : [1] 2

offcenter
12-16-2001, 02:51 PM
Yesterday I went to calcarcover.com (since I only live 20 minutes away from the store) and picked up the Blue Clay Magic Kit, The Spray and Clay Kit contains a 100g deep cleaning bar, and a 8 oz. spray bottle of 49-Body Shine for $15. I never used a clay bar before so I wanted to try it out on my windshield to clean the crap off. The small kit I got, does not have a case for the clay bar but included a plastic mitt to check out your paint condition. I was amazed that my paint felt gritty with the glove, I thought it was in good condition before I Klassed and Pinnacled it. Oh well, in the spring, I will clay the paint first. The clay bar was very easy to use. Due to the tacky feel, it sticks to your hand so dropping it was pretty difficult. I sprayed the 49 Body Shine on the windshield (it smells like suntan lotion, yum) and clayed away. It did a great job, I just used an MF to wipe the remaining lubricant off the windshield. I also did my moonroof and it turned out great. I highly recommend this clay bar, really easy to use, fair price. :up

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-17-2001, 12:44 AM
:up about how much did u use for the windshield and moon thingy....how much crap did u see on the old part of the claybar....

vettefan67
12-17-2001, 12:54 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by rad21 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I was amazed that my paint felt gritty with the glove, I thought it was in good condition before I Klassed and Pinnacled it. Oh well, in the spring, I will clay the paint first [/b]</blockquote>I`m not sure how to interpret this. Are you saying you clayed the car over Klasse + Pinnacle wax or are you saying you just clayed the windshield?

If you clayed the paint, your Klasse + Pinnacle is now gone and needs to be reapplied..

12-17-2001, 01:02 AM
he already put the K on ...but didnt clay first cause he thought it felt ok...but now with that glovey thingy...he can feel its gritty...so in the spring he`ll take off the old K...then clay..etc....i dont think he clayed the paint....but even i can misinterpret floniisms...:D

offcenter
12-17-2001, 09:31 AM
Floni,

Your interpretation is correctomundo! I only did the windshield and moonroof glass. I took the claybar, shaped it into an oval shaped pancake, like the instructions said and just hydroplaned it over the glass after using the lube. I was able to feel resistance when the clay removed the crap. There wasn`t much discoloration or dirt on the clay when I finished but the glas is smooth as a baby`s b***!:D

12-17-2001, 02:35 PM
thx dood:up

vettefan67
12-17-2001, 02:46 PM
I`d really recommend claying your glass! No doubt it has a lot of junk in it! I had some stuff on my windshield that I could have sworn was etching (it looked like frosted glass!) but the clay pulled it right off after 10 or so passes! You`ll like the results of it.:up

offcenter
12-17-2001, 02:48 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by FLONI [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>thx dood:up [/b]</blockquote>
FLONI,

A few autopians suggested using clay for glass and here are quotes from other sources:

I tried the TSB procedure for cleaning glass on a 3 yr. old Ford Taurus. The car had streaking wipers that no amount of cleaning or new blades seemed to help. I had tried ammonia & newspaper, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, etc. after failing with windex, dish soap, etc.

I ordered the 3M Gloss enhancer from the 3M online store and got some cleaner clay locally. I did the drivers side in about 5 minutes last night. Seems to have solved the wiper problem, definitely feels a lot smoother than the other side cleaned with glass cleaner. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, will leave the windshield 50/50 and find out then.

Clay bar by definition is made to remove surface contaminants. It`ll work on paint and glass. The 3M product that VW/Audi sends out as part of the free windshield care kit isn`t made only for glass, as the labelling on the package makes clear. It isn`t "too abrasive" for use on paint. I used it on my wife`s black A6 wagon a couple weeks ago, with excellent results. Having sent in two response cards, I have one bar for use on windshields, and one for use on the car. I don`t know how long a clay bar will last before it`s "used up", but since even fine grit in the bar can cause unintended scratching, I intend to replace the one I use on the paint after one more use.:D

riotejas
12-20-2001, 06:13 PM
how does the Clay Magic kit compare to the Mother`s Clay kit? They seem to be of comparable price.

Lemonxxs
12-21-2001, 09:57 PM
I bought this same clay magic kit about a year ago and it came with a nice plastic container for the clay. I still believe this is the best clay dollar per ounce than any other. Plus it is easy to find in local stores.

JN99
12-26-2001, 09:10 PM
I`ve been to 3 Pep Boys, and a couple Kragens in my area (Orange County, CA) and not been able to find Clay Magic anywhere :( Does anyone know of anyplace to buy this locally in SoCal? I`ve found Mothers Clay and will just go with that if I can`t find Clay Magic, but it seems the general opinion here is that Clay Magic is better so I`d like to find it (no time to order on-line).

offcenter
12-26-2001, 09:27 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by jn328i [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I`ve been to 3 Pep Boys, and a couple Kragens in my area (Orange County, CA) and not been able to find Clay Magic anywhere :( Does anyone know of anyplace to buy this locally in SoCal? I`ve found Mothers Clay and will just go with that if I can`t find Clay Magic, but it seems the general opinion here is that Clay Magic is better so I`d like to find it (no time to order on-line). [/b]</blockquote>
As I stated above- calcarcover.com sells clay magic. They are in Chatsworth, CA

JN99
12-27-2001, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I saw that but that`s not really local for me as I`m in south O.C. It`s probably 90 - 100 miles up there from where I am :eek:

imported_BretFraz
12-27-2001, 10:56 AM
Uhhh, no. Try 70ish from Laguna Hills. You really need to get out more ;)

Go to Detailing Depot on Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa. I think the address is 2146, but I`m not 100% sure since I`ve only been there once and live in Atlanta so I can`t just run by and check it out.

North of 21st St (duh) on the east side of the 55. Closed on Sundays.

Many years ago there was an auto accessory store that carried lots of detailing stuff in Laguna Hills, just off Irvine Center Dr. Don`t know if it`s still there but worth a look in the phone book if you don`t feel you can make it <em class=`bbc`>all the way[/i] to Costa Mesa. :p

JN99
12-27-2001, 12:58 PM
Hmm, so you know how far it is from where I live even though you don`t know where that is :confused: You must be quite clever (moreso than Mapquest apparently...) :D

I plan to go to Detailing Depot, but from looking at their website they carry only a few brands. Haven`t heard of any place in Laguna Hills so I guess that one`s no more. It really seems detailing is a mail order undertaking, oh well.