PDA

View Full Version : Do you cover up SG with wax?

Pages : [1] 2

jeff warden
12-14-2001, 04:51 PM
Hi all,

This newbie would like to thank all of you for your knowledge and enthusiasm!

I am in the process of using clay, AIO and SG for the first time. I washed the car with Dawn, used a clay bar on the finish then washed again. Next I polished with AIO two times. I just finished applying the first coat of SG which I will let sit for an hour or so and buff off.

My plan is to let the car cure overnight and apply two more coats of SG tomorrow.

Now my question. I think I have read that some of you wax the car after putting the last layer of SG on. Why is this? Does the SG need a "hard shell" protectant? If I do not use wax on top of the SG should I expect to need to reapply it in a few weeks?

Any free advice is appreciated. :p My preference would be to only use the SG and just keep reapplying it as needed instead of wax.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S.

I am amazed at how much unseen gunk the clay bar removed from the paint. What a great technique!:cool:

Brad B
12-14-2001, 05:03 PM
No need to cover the SG with wax. Some people do it for effect in trying to obtain different levels of color, shine and gloss. Sealant glaze is more durable than any carnuba and doesn`t need anything else for protection. Your plan is fine.

Jngrbrdman
12-14-2001, 05:12 PM
The only reason I use any carnuba on top of my Klasse layers is I love the wet look that it gives my car. Klasse is great for shine but for the wet look and for the depth in the shine you pretty much have to put a layer of carnuba on. The downside is that onec you start with the carnuba you can`t add any more layers of SG. I have a dozen or so layers of SG and nearly that in carnuba. I love how shiney it is but this spring I`m going to strip it all off and start over again. Such is life. :) It is the journey that is the fun part anyway. ;)

YoSteve
12-14-2001, 06:13 PM
The Klasse SG is your hard shell. Some need to get their carnauba fix and wax away. ;) Really the great thing about SG is that it provides a super awsome shiny "pallete" for you to put the natural wax of your choice. I mean we make Klasse look as good as possible by prepping the paint, now we make carnauba look as good a possible by providing it with a shiny durable canvas to work atop of (it tends to extend the carnauba also).

Depending on the color of your car you can really bring out the depth (and and add more beading) if you prefer its looks. The trusted suggestion is to not put a carnauba on unless you are 100% satisfied with you Klasse results.

Hope this helps - Steve

jeff warden
12-14-2001, 07:00 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Jngrbrdman [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>The downside is that onec you start with the carnuba you can`t add any more layers of SG. [/b]</blockquote>
Thanks Steve,

I guess that`s the question I really wanted answered. Thanks.

This shot is from a few years ago. When I`m done polishing tomorrow I`ll post the update. My back is sore!:cool:

Jeffhttp://home.earthlink.net/~jawarden/media/M5.jpg

jeff warden
12-14-2001, 07:03 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by jeff warden [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>

Thanks Steve,

[/b]</blockquote>
Ok, so I`m an idiot.:eek: I see now the reply was from <strong class=`bbc`>Jngrbrdman[/b] . Sorry `bout that.

YoSteve
12-14-2001, 08:10 PM
But even the best carnauba will only last a couple of months, Klasse can last for up to a year, so you can add it later. Some use Dawn to remove the carnauba (it doesn`t remove the Klasse) and then you can SG. But many of us redo Klasse twice a year anyways.

Don2000g
12-15-2001, 11:32 AM
The Klasse line is pretty darn good indeed. I`ve used it and I really like the results and the protection that it gives. However, I think that 6 to MAYBE 8 or 9 months of protection is more realistic. Still a minimum of 6 months is very impressive. Laters

DETAILKING
12-15-2001, 11:38 AM
My dad`s car looks great with mulitile coats of SG. I would`t even think of putting a carnuba over it (although I did try souveran over the hood and didn`t see a difference). His only complaint is the sheeting....but perhaps he will get used to it.........

rstype
12-15-2001, 12:43 PM
It didn`t make a difference? Hmmm... strange.

How did you apply it? Thin "hazy" layers or thicker "wax-like" layers? I`m still experimenting with the Souveran and would like to hear from everyone what techniques gave you the good or "I-cant-see-a-difference" results.

nerdhunters
12-16-2001, 07:34 PM
Jeff,

Awsome M5 ! I like to go over the SG with a pure carnuba, I thing it looks great and adds the "wet" look.

JR

DETAILKING
12-16-2001, 09:09 PM
I did the entire hood, thick enough to see the haze of the dried wax very easily. Temperature was about 65 degrees and sunny, and the car was in the sun. By the time I did the whole hood, it was dry and ready to take off. It came off easy, but not as easy as some people led me to believe. Perhaps I should not of done it in the sun, although the paint was cool, as it was a cool day and light colored car. Me or my dad couldn`t notice any difference........the car was already shining very nicely..........

imported_doug
12-16-2001, 11:23 PM
detailking - spread it out thinner, and buff it off BEFORE it dries all the way. That`s what the instructions say and it works for me. One swipe of an ultimate wipe and it is buffed out completely. when I look at a reflection in the car, i can`t see a difference. But when I just look at the car, it DOES look wetter/deeper with the souveran. I cannot explain this - you can`t "see" anything specific - but it absolutely, positively looks better.

DETAILKING
12-16-2001, 11:54 PM
I will try doing the whole car using those methods....

rstype
12-17-2001, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys for telling your experiences from it. I guess a thin coat, immediately removed with a dry towel is best.

I cant wait to try it out and see how it compares to Paste Glaz (on light colors!)