PDA

View Full Version : Orange Peal on new cars?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mikeg
12-12-2001, 12:03 AM
Why is it that all new cars have orange peal??? I was looking at a new BMW the other day and thought to myself the Orange peal is only slightly better then a Ford. I don`t mean to knock ford or BMW for there paint. It`s just that I would expect the BMW to have a perfectly flat paint job similar to the quality of a Porsche??? The paint on my Supra is also perfectly flat also. Orange Peal never really bothered me until I got my Supra but now it drives me crazy to see it on expensive cars???

Dave N
12-12-2001, 12:15 AM
I have a 2001 Toyota truck and the paint has op all over. Not that I would expect a truck (even a <em class=`bbc`>Toyota[/i] truck ;) ) to have the same quality paint job as an Audi or BMW, but it is irritating to see it after a detail...

Lemonxxs
12-12-2001, 12:15 AM
To rid paint of orange peel it mostly has to be sanded between coats and then the final coat sanded again and then polished to hide the sand marks. VERY EXPENSIVE! and then does not last long with normal driving because the final clear coat is thinned from the sanding.

Show cars have that done at a high cost to the owners. Labor intensive.

Scottwax
12-12-2001, 12:24 AM
Hmmm, none of the Bentleys, Diablos or Rolls I have done have orange peel http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Actually, Ford has the best domestic paint, IMO (at least for the last few years). Seems to be harder and slicker than Chrysler or GM. In addition, it also has less orange peel, too. Mercedes has really gone downhill with respects to orange peel, especially the ML-class.

Guess my name is right-for mirror flat paint, it has to be sanded between coats. Very labor intensive. One of my customers just bought a 1970 GTO (with the 350 hp 400), and the paint job is orange peel free and show quality-cost $8900!

Lemonxxs
12-12-2001, 12:27 AM
SCOTT are the bentleys RR and such hand painted and sanded you think? or do they just finish off the top coat real well???

$8900 jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzee thats a lot of table dances at that guys club.

imported_Adamah
12-12-2001, 12:29 AM
If the paint is shot properly orange peel will be nonexistent or barely noticeable. Something wasnt right when those vehicles that show O.P. were painted.

A big peeve of mine which is as bothersome as O.P. is the heavy spots in metallics. I dont know if its just me but the problem seems really bad on Fords and Chevys.

Lemonxxs
12-12-2001, 12:33 AM
I understand ADAMAH.

On my Chevy it seems you can see where the guns were when they sprayed it.

Scottwax
12-12-2001, 12:40 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>SCOTT are the bentleys RR and such hand painted and sanded you think? or do they just finish off the top coat real well???[/b]</blockquote>
As smooth as the finish is, probably hand rubbed between each coat or at least the last few. The paint on the Bentley looks like you can stick your arm into it and never touch the metal. If I clean it tomorrow, I will take some close-ups-the Olympic torch will be run right by the office the Bentley is at (near the Ballpark In Arlington), so I definately will have my camera with me-and with only 6 pics left on the roll, I will use it up, drop it off and have it all on a Kodak Picture CD and ready to post tomorrow night or Thursday.

<strong class=`bbc`>$8900 jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzee thats a lot of table dances at that guys club. [/b]</blockquote>
Different customer. This guy owns a commercial A/C repair company. This GTO is incredible-fully restored and damn near perfect!

Andre&#39;
12-12-2001, 12:56 AM
One of the pproblems is today`s high-solid, low-solvent paints, just don`t flow together very well, this helps cause orange peel. Improperley adgusted atomizeing balls and paint film build is also to blame.

Fords paint is the same as GMs and Chrysler, it`s just the process.

Fords paint often chips very easy do to the lack of a non chipping primer.

TurboGLI
12-12-2001, 12:57 AM
I was at an exotic car dealership last year and took a look at a 2000 Lotus Esprit. It was gold/yellow in color. I have to say that it had the worst paint that I had ever seen on a factory car. I`d expect much more from a brand such as Lotus.

mikeg
12-12-2001, 01:09 AM
IMO anything over 30grand should have a perfect paint just. My supra is nice and all but it isn`t all that if you know what I mean. Why did Toyota put so much time and effort in the supra paint? I`m spoiled now I guess...

Andre&#39;
12-12-2001, 01:31 AM
Often the older the car the less orange peel it will have, the bad orange peel is do to the newer paints.

JRay
12-12-2001, 07:28 AM
After reading this post I went out and inspected both of my Subarus and I cannot find a bit of orange peel on them. On the bottom of my WRX there is a thicker coating that looks like orange peel, but it is a thicker protective coating to resist chipping.

However, I also went out and looked at our 2000 Ford Explorer and I can find orange peel in various places.

Is there something that domestic manufacturers might be using that foreign ones aren`t that cause orange peel? This is a very curious topic. All of these cars should be sprayed with machine to assist in a very uniform paint job, so that leads me to believe that it must be something in the paint that is causing this...

imported_Adamah
12-12-2001, 08:45 AM
Actually its called quality or the lack thereof.

Scottwax
12-12-2001, 09:37 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Andre` [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Often the older the car the less orange peel it will have, the bad orange peel is do to the newer paints. [/b]</blockquote>
New Mercedes definately have more orange peel than older ones. I noticed the difference when they switched the SEL line to the S class cars.