PDA

View Full Version : Some info on polishing glass..

bbquer
12-11-2001, 05:26 PM
Just called Speedy auto-glass to get some glass polish.

They told me that polishing the glass to get rid of scratches might result in distorting the glass.. because of the thinning of the glass.. i guess... they told me not to try it unless it is really nesscery...

oh well..

Lemonxxs
12-11-2001, 05:29 PM
Bummer IRVIN.

Guess you have to replace it or live with it.

vettefan67
12-11-2001, 05:30 PM
Wow, sounds scary! Thanks for the info but I think that would only refer to very harsh polishing of the glass with a buffer and some type of harsh polish like Cerium Oxide?

I just want a product that will round off the edges of a ton of little pinpoint-sized dots I have on my windshield. SMR for glass if you will.

Desertfox66
12-11-2001, 08:12 PM
I just ordered and used the glass polishing kit from The Eastwood Co (see full review in the Product Review section).

I think the actual polish is rhodite. It took out a lot of fine scratches, those not felt with a fingernail, in the windshield. I have a few deep scratches that it did nothing to.

Bottom line, no glass distortion. And I really worked the product to remove the fine scratches.

Hope this helps.

Freeman
12-11-2001, 08:42 PM
I also have a a less then perfect windshield I was wanting to get polished,,,went to our local windshield/glass shop and asked them about getting it buffed out.

They said the same thing ,,that they used to ,but quit polishing glass on account of getting distorted. I didn;t ask ,,,maybe they were trying to get deeper scratches out or something,,but it kinda discouraged me so I think I will just polish glass by hand with nonabrasive polish and live with it !

adjulian
12-11-2001, 09:35 PM
get teh kit from Eastwood or JC Whitney, Rhodite or Cerium Oxide. I wrote the review of the Eastwood kit in the Product Review section. There are 2 things to remember when polishing glass, use a variable speed drill and keep the rpm`s in check, the 2nd thing is to keep the polishing wheel moist so you don`t create heat. It`s pretty easy to do, it just takes some patience. Agreed with what everyone else says as well, if you can feel it with your fingernail, it probably can`t be polished out.