PDA

View Full Version : Garage heater for winter waxing?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Greg
12-11-2001, 02:19 PM
Can anyone recommend a powerful but reasonably priced heater to warm my garage for winter waxing? Winter sucks :down

BradE
12-11-2001, 02:32 PM
They make heaters that look like radiators, they work pretty well. They are oil-filled and sealed. They make different kinds with temp settings and features for saftey. The price on them can range from $40-$100 depending on brand and features. Most of them are 1500 watts of power. I have seen them at WalMart, Sears and places like that. I got mine at WalMart and It was in the $60 range. They look like this:

Lemonxxs
12-11-2001, 03:01 PM
Check out "IN THE GARAGE" topic section.

I believe there was a lengthy thread on heaters.

imported_jking
12-11-2001, 03:37 PM
Alan - Keep in mind that cheap may not be the best way to go - example - girlfriend works for a utility and a customer calls to question his hydro bill - approx $600. - turns out the guy had put two or three $20.00 electric ceramic heaters in his garage to keep it warm during the winter - ran them day and night not knowing the meter was racing around clocking up this huge bill - do not know size of garage or insulation factor but something to keep in mind. I like kerosene heaters - you buy the fuel and can better control your costs and know your costs - with each can of fuel you buy. The heater will be more expensive up front but over all last you for years and fuel is your only expense. There are kerosene (propane also but fuel is more expensive) heaters out ther that pump out 50 to 70,000 BTU`s, cost $200.00 - 400.00 Canadian and I have seen them used - the type that have a fan at the end of a cylinder where the flame burns. This circulates the heat very well and if you need to heat a double garage this WILL do it - you may even turn it off cause of the heat. Farmers use these a lot for large buildings they have and again they do work. Hopes this helps. MTS

imported_Greg
12-11-2001, 04:07 PM
I`d like something that heats up very quickly to heat a double garage... only while I`m working in there.

Kerosene sounds like a cost-effective solution... are they safe in an enclosed space like a garage?

BradE
12-11-2001, 04:10 PM
You can`t use Kerosene in an area with no ventilation. You will have to open a window or something to make sure everything is vented properly.

imported_Greg
12-11-2001, 04:12 PM
ShowroomLincoln... does your`s heat up quickly?

BradE
12-11-2001, 04:19 PM
None of them heat up instantly. I usually plug it in 30 minutes before I am going out there to work, and when I get out there it`s warm.

KR CoolShine
12-11-2001, 04:28 PM
I use a kerosene heater. Between the garage door and the entry door, it leaks enough for ventilation; but I open a window a bit anyway.

Heat up of the two car plus a bit of extra depth space is very quick.

dengelson
12-11-2001, 07:37 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>None of them heat up instantly. I usually plug it in 30 minutes before I am going out there to work, and when I get out there it`s warm. [/b]</blockquote>
Also since these heaters are electrically fired you can easily use a standard timer from the hardware store. This makes it easy if you plan on being in the garage at 7am on saturday morning just set the timer for 6:30 or so and go to sleep and forget about it.

camrykid
12-11-2001, 07:47 PM
I have found that a propane heater works real well. I fire it up and in a 2 1/2 car garage it is warm in about 30 to 45 min. to wear short in to detail. That is about a 100,000 Btu I believe. It is a heater that I put on top of a large propane cylinder. It cost about 50.00 or so to have filled, I have found thatit will last me about all winter. I fire it up wait a while and I`m ready to go on my way. Here is some info. on some heaters from where I bought mine.

Hope it helps
racintodd out
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=NAVIGATION&CNTKEY=market%2fpg_zip_code.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0883938012.1008117602@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccekadcdldjhlgicgelceffdfgidgmk.0&catOID=100010260 (`http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=NAVIGATION&CNTKEY=market%2fpg_zip_code.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0883938012.1008117602@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccekadcdldjhlgicgelceffdfgidgmk.0&catOID=100010260`)

camrykid
12-11-2001, 07:52 PM
Forgot to say type in PROPANE HEATER in the search box. That will take you to the reading material.

Sorry

racintodd out

imported_jking
12-12-2001, 08:13 AM
Had to go when I was doing my reply - so here is the completion - with safety measures that have to be met by manufactors whether propane or kerosene these units have safe guards to help prevent fire - always a concern when open flame in a garage. As all the above/previous replies indicate it is possible to get some heat in your garage - insulation/size will be the deciding factor on how fast you feel the heat and how long you will be able to contain it. Go for all the BTU`s you can afford - you`ll be ready for spring when it comes. Been luck so far this year BUT BBrrrrrrrrr just the thought. MTS

miguelgf
12-12-2001, 02:44 PM
I posted a similar question in the Garage section... I`m still undecided - however..

For me - the propane and kerosene solutions seemed to be too much work. I have no window or door (outside of the double car sized garage door) in my garage, so ventilation will be a pain.

Electric seems key - and if someone in Ohio is heating a garage with an oil-filled electric heater - then what the heck, it should work just fine here in NYC winters ;)

My question - has anyone used the parabolic ones that Costco sells? Seems like it generates a decent amount of heat, and it`s directed to a particular location - figure you could put one in the corner of the garage, and just aim it where you`re standing. It was 1500W and about $50 - figure that`s 12A just for your heater - so your garage better have at least a 20A breaker out there.

Ah, decisions, decisions..

Lemonxxs
12-12-2001, 04:09 PM
Build a fireplace in the garage !!!!

Now that is a new and novel idea for the garage or wood burning stove so you can cook as well as clean!