PDA

View Full Version : New user--orbital buffer

Lone Wolf
12-10-2001, 01:47 PM
The wife just got me a Waxmaster 9" buffer because she got tired of hearing me complain that my arms were tired!! Anyway it came with a applicator pad and terrycloth bonnet..My cars are in great shape and Ive been using IHG and Blitz wax for some time. I want to try some Show Car Glaze. Are foam bonnets better for applying polishes/glazes?? Also I read where people use Lambskin wool bonnets to do a final buff, Is this a good choice??

Thanks

LW

imported_doug
12-10-2001, 03:24 PM
I would recommend using ONLY the foam pads. They are gentlest, AND if in between sessions they pick up a piece of schmutz (technical term) you can see it and pick it out.

There are different foams for different purposes - "cutting" pads are the firmest, meant for use with abrasive compounds like rubbing compound, or 3M FI-II. Polishing pads are medium, good for polishes, glazes. Swirl removers - take your pick - cutting or polishing. Wax application - use a "buffing" pad.

for residue removal, find a micro-fiber bonnet that stretches over a clean buffing pad.

I wouldn`t recommend the lamb`s wool or terry for anything.

BradE
12-10-2001, 03:51 PM
I agree with Greg, just use the foam pads. You can go to WalMart and buy more foam bonnets. I think the are something like $3.50 each. Terry bonnets are pretty rough and you might end up putting swirls in your paint with them.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2001, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys for the advice..In reference to the foam pads..So I should use the foam for everything

application/polishing and buffing??

After you put your final coat of wax on should you use the buffer to dry polish?? (Im talking once the wax has been removed)

Thanks again!! Im sure Ill be buggin everyone for awhile till I get this straight!!:D

Steve @ Guru
12-11-2001, 12:09 AM
For wax/polish/cleaner removal, you can use a microfiber bonnet (stretch it over a foam pad, or as CMA recommends, use it on top of a lambs wool bonnet), or you can buff it off with a microfiber towel or a nice, clean, 100% cotton towel.

I`ve never met anyone that dry polishes; I use a little QD misted on a microfiber towel which I use to buff the surface with if I`m looking for a little extra shine or if I need to give `er a little extra TLC.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2001, 12:20 AM
I was telling my wife about the PC 7424 and she suggested that I upgrade!! Didnt even open the Waxmaster yet so I guess Im gonna get the PC!! Dont want to give her anytime to change her mind:p

I think I will try just applying first and buff by hand until I get the hang of the machine..

LW

imported_Dude
12-11-2001, 02:58 AM
You`ve got yourself a good woman, friend. Take good care of her!

Lone Wolf
12-11-2001, 10:07 AM
What is the best speed setting to use for waxing/polishing with the PC 7424?

LW

:confused: