PDA

View Full Version : Advertising

Lemonxxs
12-05-2001, 02:05 PM
How do you guys advertise? Word of mouth little papers under wiper blades? Friends? Yellow pages?

I am curious if I could do a few a month it would be a good way for me to have $$ to keep my detailing inventory levels high for free.

Josiah
12-05-2001, 05:14 PM
I don`t know that I would do the papers under wiper blades... I HATE it when people I don`t know touch my car. People who would pay to have their car detailed will probably not like it very much either, but that is just a though. They might not care...

Word of mouth is the best way to advertise. Everybody knows everybody, and everybody loves a good lookin` car. Do a good job, and the person in question`s friends will ask about it.

Yellow pages are also a good place to be listed, for the comparison shoppers.

Also ads in newspapers, in the appropieate sections (something about detailing muscle/sport cars in the Sports section, or in the "Living" section). Most muscle car owners do it themselves however...

Another good way to get new customers is to sit outside. :D Pick a company, get permission (do the secretary`s car for free), pick yourself a corner in the lot and setup. Detail the cars while they work. Go to the same place the same time every week/month, so they get used to seeing you there.

Just a few thoughts.... I have many, many more if you are interested.

Josiah

Turbonator
12-05-2001, 10:40 PM
hey gmn, since you live on the north shore(i think), you might wanna try a company that prints and distributes flyers for you. i`m in the metairie area and that type of service usually runs about $150+ for approx. 5000 flyers. the yellow pages i find to be too expensive and not that many people use them for auto detailing references. i generally get a couple friends together and go door to door passing out flyers myself in strategic neighborhoods and word of mouth of course. just doing it on weekends alone you should be able to pick up about $2500 - $5000 in your first year alone. repeat business is your lifeline in mobile detailing!:up

Lemonxxs
12-06-2001, 05:47 PM
I wonder if I could quit my regular job and make ends meet?

Hmmm I gonna think on that one.

Josiah
12-06-2001, 07:06 PM
Guess, I think you could definitely make ends meet, depending on where you live and how self motivated you are. If you do good working by yourself, and enjoy working FOR yourself, might be something to look into. :)

Three cars a day (once you get going, obviously), 6 days a week, at, let`s say an average of $100 per car (complete details average above $100, just exterior/interior, or odd jobs, may be below that, depending on area), $1800 a week, 7200 a month, or a nice $86,400 annual income. You might think I am looking on the bright side, but there are a lot of cars out there. You might make much, much more than that if you hire employees.

jazzyjack, great idea. I was planning on doing a bit of the same thing, handing out flyers to people with high end cars, or you never know, the soccer mom who might want the stains removed yearly. Also, sticking flyers under nice cars windshield wipers might be a good idea... not sure if you need to get permission for one car. :confused:

My few cents,

Josiah

DaGonz
12-07-2001, 07:50 AM
I use the "depth of gloss" method...the cars speak for themselves! :D

Runaway-boy
01-21-2002, 09:15 PM
Well...at least I can say one thing that didnテざt work. A company here send offers by mail to people that move into our town. Cost us about 1$ for each hosehold that moves in . And we are tied up to 5000 outcasts before we can leave it.

Donテざt fall for that..Weテざve reached about 2500 so far and had about 3 new costumars. Its easy to count isnテざt? 2500$ to get 3 new costumars...hmm...was that good? Donテざt think so, would rather spend that money on beers and women.

:down

Anyway the best thing weテざve done so far is the work with PR. It doesnt cost anything (50$) ..takes some time yes but hey when it is out there in the media it reach a lot of people and even more important, it is "true".

For the moment we are actually letting some kids from the local highschool manufacture some "stockshots" for some tv stations here. I recommend that. Stockshots are just short trailers (15 sec) of what you do and where you are located etc. The stations often donテざt have time or money to spend to go out with a tv team and take a short session of pictures on a "handwash" or a polish. To hand it out to them makes the odds higher that you will get it out in the air.

When we started our detailshop we had prepared for this and they sent it in the national news as " a sure sign of spring" (freely translated) We had cars for a month just because of that thing. Things might be different between USA and Sweden when it comes to media but ask a tv station in what way he want a tape with stockshots to be (none takes VHS anymore) and what kind of pictures he would prefer to use, and do what we did, ask the local school to make it with your specifies...Promise you they will love doing it!

:up

Jngrbrdman
01-22-2002, 12:02 AM
Word of mouth is my best friend. Everytime I walk into the office on my day off people come up to me to see if I can do their car that day. You can also get free business cards printed at www.vistaprint.com that help out quite a bit. I love handing those out or leaving them on a table somewhere. You never know. Maybe I`ll start taping them up in the bathrooms or something. ;)

Michael H
01-22-2002, 12:25 AM
Applying paste carnauba wax

Unlike the paint cleaner and polish, wax is an application only task. A cleaner and polish are applied and worked into the surface to get the desire result. A wax is simply applied to the surface and removed. In practice, this means a minimal amount of pressure is required when using the buffing pad or hand applicator (although some waxes are very hard to apply because of their physical properties).

The key to applying paste carnauba wax well (either by hand or orbital sander) is to have the wax melt on the applicator ready for applying. Take your index finger and quickly move it in a circular motion on the wax. With a good quality wax it should begin to melt in under 5 seconds. This is the consistency needed to apply the wax to the paint.

The melting point of paste waxes does vary, it is easier to melt Pinnacle Paste Glaz than say Mothers California Goldテぐ Carnauba Paste Wax. Hint: if using an orbital sander, place the buffing pad in the wax, turn the sander on at low speed. The moving pad will generate enough heat to melt the wax onto the pad ready for application. You may need to allow the pad to move in a circular motion to spread wax around the pad. This only works where the wax comes in a large tin

The method of applying waxes can vary. Always read the instruction label on a product. For example, Mothers California Goldテぐ Carnauba Paste Wax recommends that the cloth or buffing pad be moist, which is not necessary when using a liquid wax or Pinnacle Paste Glaz. Hint: have a spray bottle with clean water in it and spray the pad or cloth, it is easier than using the tap and gives more control over the level of moistness.

How much wax do I need to do a car?

With a good quality carnauba wax, surprisingly little. Take Mothers California Goldテぐ Carnauba Paste Wax (340 grams) as an example. If applying with an orbital sander, you should be able to wax about 20-25 cars the size of a Subaru Impreza WRX with just one tin. Hint: carnauba wax goes on in a very thin film. With lights it is much easier to see the wax go on. Often the wax is still going when you think the wax is long used, but the lights show otherwise. Most people use too much wax on a car, with experience you will learn that more is not necessarily better. High carnauba content waxes go even further, up to 30-40 cars.

Josiah
01-22-2002, 01:06 AM
I`d get my biz cards at www.officedepot.com . The free cards from vistaprint have advertising on the back, not very professional. At Office Depot`s Print Center, they are just about $22 for 1,000 cards. I got 1,000 for less than $30, because I choose a nice paper I think.

The best way to advertise I think is advertise YOURSELF and word of mouth will follow. Sit in high traffic areas with potential (golf courses, recs, home depot, lowes, etc etc etc) and with your name on the van and recruit customers.

I posted a dozen or more flyers at the stock show earlier today... we`ll see if it turns out anything. Might, might not. All I did was print some quality flyers on my pc, Epson Color 900. Cut up the bottom like a "full off tabs" flyer... made it easy for them to be pulled off. If you want I have a template for the "flyer with pull off tabs." Takes time, but it is low cost.

Josiah

Jngrbrdman
01-22-2002, 03:04 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Josiah [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I`d get my biz cards at www.officedepot.com . The free cards from vistaprint have advertising on the back, not very professional. [/b]</blockquote>
Actually, you can pay a couple bucks and get blank backs. The quality of the cards is really good and if it is just a hobby or something and not a real business I don`t see where it matters if vistaprint puts their little tag on the back. It is tastefully done IMO. The cards have color and everything. Office Depot is where I would go if I ever needed more than 250 cards but for a little side job detailing business I think 250 for free is a pretty good price no matter what is on the back. :)

Scottwax
01-22-2002, 07:28 PM
Word of mouth is great, but when you are starting out, you need to be more aggressive. I printed up thousands of flyers, and put them out at DFW Airport and Love Field (Dallas area). Got back about 1-2% return-I could put out 500 in an hour or two-then security told me I could not put out anymore flyers. I then put out flyers on doors in high end neighborhoods-with the same return, 1-2%, but I was lucky to get out 100 an hour. I also took out a small insert ad in the Yellow Pages-they will cut you a deal when just starting out. For the first year and a half, I was putting out flyers when I didn`t have appointments, and once the ad came out in the Yellow Pages, I was doing enough business that I didn`t have to put out flyers anymore.

You can also check with local schools-they often have PTA events where they give out door prizes-and they love it when you offer something for them to give away-I would give them a certificate for a free wash and wax-got me a potential new customer and my business name was announced at the school for free.