PDA

View Full Version : Water BAsed Plastic Protectants

Pages : [1] 2

Lemonxxs
12-05-2001, 12:04 PM
OK I use 303, Zaino Tire Dressing, etc on my plastic body panels. I apply it to a sponge applicator and then apply to all my plastci panels and trim, which is a lot on my truck.

Both work great on the tires!

Well every morning after the dew drips I get these streaks from where the dew and it seems it has the stuff in it. I have to QD every afternoon now just to remove these drip marks. I have tried to apply really thin bu ARGGGGGG no luck. I still get these drip marks.

Any suggestions?? Other than finding an airplane hanger to park my truck in at night?

DETAILKING
12-05-2001, 12:22 PM
but Z16 is less greasy after time. Both are pretty close. I like to apply a heavy coat of dressing and let it sit and bake in the sun for a few hours and then go back and rub off the excess to a smooth even satin shine with a towel. As long as the car doesn`t get wet within a few hours I don`t have a streaking problem....

vettefan67
12-05-2001, 12:25 PM
Hey DK or others:

When is it best to apply dressing for maximum effectiveness? For semi-porous things like some plastic, vinyl and rubber, is it best to apply to a hot surface when the pores are at their widest? Or does it matter?

Just curious...

Lemonxxs
12-05-2001, 12:26 PM
More details:

I use either Z or 303 kinda alternating months.

I apply with sponge not too heavy since it will drip.

It then dries while I do tires and interior with other products.

It bakes in the sun here

Dry to the touch before night fall

Drips in AM after DEW for several days after applying.

It seems to me the dew is diluting the stuff and then dissolving it and when it drips down my freshly sealed paint it just drips faster and leaves this gooky messy drip marks. They clean up easy enough with a wet MF or QD spray.

Just aggrevates me is all.

vettefan67
12-05-2001, 12:29 PM
I always do the same thing DK says by letting the protectant dry for a few hours and then buffing off any excess. I find this changes the look of it, sometimes detracts a little from the gloss but it`s just that much more that won`t get rubbed off by something else.

Lemonxxs
12-05-2001, 12:33 PM
Maybe it is this type of plastic. I mean my tires are no problem at all and they satin shine for weeks after applying even after washes.

Maybe this stuff just doesn`t adhere good to this plastic.

I will try the buff off tip next application but I will buff off sooner since in my neck of the world the stuff dries really fast.

THANKS (to quote FLONI) DOODs

vettefan67
12-05-2001, 12:44 PM
..AIO and/or SG or Z-? If the plastic is finished to allow easier cleaning, which it probably is, some things may have trouble adhering to it. Your regular sealant may be worth a try.

I haven`t personally seen the Avalanche (`http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/index.htm`) up close so I can`t give a specific opinion.

Lemonxxs
12-05-2001, 12:53 PM
The plastic has a bumpy texture to it and I tried applying some Z one time than I tried some AIO but both were a PIA to remove and I ended up having to get a soft brush to help out.

Plus it did not look as good in the small areas I tested it on as compared to the 303 and Z dressings IMHO.

I will solve this but I don`t know how yet. Give me some time and more tips and I will come about a solution.

YoSteve
12-05-2001, 01:28 PM
don`t use a brush to remove Klasse haze in paint or plastic, water people water ;)

Lemonxxs
12-05-2001, 01:50 PM
Not a haze but a waxy like build up in the plastic. Maybe if I wetted the MF I could then remove it from the bumpy plastic easier.

HMMMMMMM maybe I will try that.

vettefan67
12-05-2001, 02:08 PM
If you got a buildup (even small one) from Klasse, perhaps you used too much. I know when I used it on my black car the first time I was able to do it in layers so thin I had trouble seeing them on the metallic paint. You may want to try thinner applications as well. I found thin coats to be much easier to remove than thicker ones.

Lemonxxs
12-05-2001, 02:19 PM
The build up happened when the applicator would hang up on the bumpys and extra stuff would come out of the applicator.

Think 20 grit sandpaper that is what the texture is like. You can file your nails on it.

YoSteve
12-05-2001, 02:29 PM
On mine, it`s pretty rough, rougher than a floppy disk, probably as rough as sandpaper. I layered on the Klasse, let it sit a week and just washed off the excess, it actually smoothes out the roughness, but it is hard to keep black regardless of Klasse on it or not.

you have to wash it a lot before you apply, to where there is no dirt deposit on your applicator.

Lemonxxs
12-05-2001, 02:36 PM
My plastic is way rougher than a floppy. Hmmmm let me think.

Kinda looks like a terry cloth applicator from afar but the bumpies are a bit smaller. Or kinda like the material ice chests are nade from but a bit larger spacing of the bumpies.

It does tear up terry applicators though so I have to use the foam type and becareful when applying dressings in case it snags and I drop them.

YoSteve
12-05-2001, 04:07 PM
um, terry guess? i live in mf only land, get some mf applicators for your real jobs ;) (100% more durable)