PDA

View Full Version : How many layers of polish to remove your clearcoat???? (Ron Ketchman)

Pages : [1] 2

Preachers Sheets
12-04-2001, 02:11 PM
How often would I need to use a porter cable, with a yellow pad and 3M F-II to remove my clearcoat?

Just wondering, is it something silly like once a week, 8 layers for 15 years? Or something scary like once a month for 2 years?

Anyone know?

Ron K?????

dengelson
12-04-2001, 02:15 PM
Hey Joe if you want to hear from Ron perhaps you should send him a personal message. Just my .02

BradE
12-04-2001, 02:16 PM
Ron is no longer posting here anymore, he left after some of his posts were deleted. If you would like to contact Ron shoot him an e-mail at Ketch@autoint.com (``)

Preachers Sheets
12-04-2001, 02:21 PM
Don`t be a zippa head guys.

The post isn`t meant ONLY for him but I know he does this stuff for a living so I just wanted to catch his eye with something in the title.

If anyone of you people know I`d be more than happy to listen.

:bounce

BillNorth
12-04-2001, 02:29 PM
I asked Ron this question a couple of weeks ago. He said it was impossible to give a definitive answer.

rmccall6
12-04-2001, 02:29 PM
If this is true, thats ashame, Ron was one of the most valuable asets to this forums.

Lemonxxs
12-04-2001, 02:34 PM
I would think there could be no scientific answer here. Way too many variables. I will list some variables:

- Clear thickness at start

- PC speed

- PC pad I know you listed one but the condition as well.

- Pressure on pad.

- Duration of PC use.

- Brand of clearcoat.

- Existing scratches size shape and depth.

- Location on car

- Manufacturer of car

- Age of clearcoat

- Condition of clearcoat

This would be difficult at best to answer.

But I will say more than once?

Preachers Sheets
12-04-2001, 02:44 PM
How about:

"what is the least amount of time" or is it still too broad of a subject.

I just wanted to half an idea instead of being in left feild with the lights off playing indoors when the guy at bat hits pop fly and it`s coming straight for my face and WHAM, no teeth, can`t see which ones are on the floor, I step into dog crap and then step on my teeth. Pick them up, they smell kinda funny, the dentist`s put`s them back and I have bad breath for the rest of my life, jeepers creepers for crying out loud, that`d be a big mess now wouldn`t it?

:bounce :bounce :bounce

Lemonxxs
12-04-2001, 02:48 PM
Impossible to say JOE. Be careful.

Preachers Sheets
12-04-2001, 02:52 PM
I will now, good thing I`ve been reading just about everything on this fourm. I am going to go for one polish application per year. I don`t need more since the car is hardly used.

Don2000g
12-06-2001, 08:24 PM
Showroom, it would be a shame if Ron K. stopped visiting and posting here. The man knows his stuff!

BillNorth
12-06-2001, 09:14 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Don2000g [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Showroom, it would be a shame if Ron K. stopped visiting and posting here. The man knows his stuff! [/b]</blockquote>
Don, I couldn`t agree with you more.:( It`s a such a shame.

RON, PLEASE COME BACK!!!!!:(

imported_killerjg
12-06-2001, 10:45 PM
Is there behind the scene stuff that goes on here? I see mentions of Beau leaving now RonK? Who`s got the skinny?

Blue_Ridge_Products
12-07-2001, 11:20 AM
Joed,

It is next to impossible to take to much of the clear with a PC. It becomes a concern when you are using a Rotary. The PC is a good random orbital saving you alot of time and energy from applying the products by hand. So as long as you are not using a rubbing compound you have little to worry about. In fact in the early days of this forum many of the members were polishing monthly using non abrasive polishes followed by Carnuba`s that would last 3 to 6 weeks. The PC is super safe and with the polymers available today you will only be polishing 2/3 times/yr anyways.

Blue_Ridge_Products
12-07-2001, 11:52 AM
Joed,

It is next to impossible to take to much of the clear with a PC. It becomes a concern when you are using a Rotary. The PC is a good random orbital saving you alot of time and energy from applying the products by hand. So as long as you are not using a rubbing compound you have little to worry about. In fact in the early days of this forum many of the members were polishing monthly using non abrasive polishes followed by Carnuba`s that would last 3 to 6 weeks. The PC is super safe and with the polymers available today you will only be polishing 2/3 times/yr anyways.