PDA

View Full Version : When to apply Z6

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_memnuts
12-01-2001, 09:14 AM
Is it okay to apply the Z6 QD immediately after wiping off the Z2/Z5? Does the Z2/Z5 need to cure prior to the Z6 application for improved results? I normally allow the Z2/Z5 to dry for 24hrs in dust-free garage before buffing off. Would this long drying time be also considered part of the curing time? If I Z6 one day can I just Z2/Z5 several days later (car not driven - in garage)? :confused:

We're Here
12-01-2001, 09:44 AM
Might be the logical place to try:

http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm (`http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm`)

WH

imported_memnuts
12-01-2001, 10:01 AM
These questions are variations from the "as directed" instructions from Sal`s website( which I have read many times). I`m looking for answers to these variations in the procedure and maybe some tips to improve what the standard mode of operations state. We are here to expand our knowledge of detailing beyond the average car care person, the exchange of ideas and product usage.

DetailKing?:D

imported_RIC
12-01-2001, 01:21 PM
Just a thought:

Why not email Sal Zaino directly with your questions?

These are my answers:

"I normally allow the Z2/Z5 to dry for 24hrs in dust-free garage before buffing off. Would this long drying time be also considered part of the curing time?"

I have never left the Z polish application with or without Z1 on for more than an hour to dry so I am not sure whether it is curing or not during your 24 hour drying time. I seem to recall in an answer on another forum that Sal said it is not curing until after the residue is removed.

"Is it okay to apply the Z6 QD immediately after wiping off the Z2/Z5?"

Yes

"Does the Z2/Z5 need to cure prior to the Z6 application for improved results?"

There have been some people who state that it does and others have stated it makes no difference. There is no harm either way.

"If I Z6 one day can I just Z2/Z5 several days later (car not driven - in garage)?"

Yes, but in my opinion it is better to Z6 right before applying an additional coat so that the surface is free of any dust. You can always do it at both times. I don`t believe there are any set rules.

When I apply Z2 or Z5 I spritz Z6 on the applicator to make the coats thinner and the product spread better.

DETAILKING
12-01-2001, 04:48 PM
Well, Z2 starts to cure as soon as it is applied, however, until the residue is buffed off, it will cure slower since it provides a barrier between the polish and the air.

You can use Z6 right after buffing off Z2, but I would strongly recommend also applying it just before another coat of z2 or z5 is applied.

ISLANDSBEST
12-02-2001, 01:59 AM
DK knows what he is talking about.

As to your other questions:

I did an experiment and left the Z on for three days (did not drive the car and used a car cover). I liked the result. It seemed to result in a deeper coat. No scientific evidence, though. Z is normally NOTHING to take off. After baking on the car for three days, it was a bit more work to take it off, but nothing like buffing out wax.

I let at least three days go before the next coat . . . usually a week. Ron K believes it takes about a week for sealants to fully cure.

I no longer apply the Z6 right after removing the Z2 or 5. I want to give it some time to cure -- hardening up before I wipe the Z2 surface again -- that is at least my theory.

imported_memnuts
12-03-2001, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone this is the type of dialogue I was looking for when I joined this forum. :D

Lemonxxs
12-03-2001, 02:14 PM
Since I have acres of painted surfaces I save the 6 for just before applying another coat of Z?.

I use FI or Sonus in between washings depending on my mood and the alignment of the planets.

Cybercowboy
12-03-2001, 02:17 PM
My experience has been this: When I used Z6 right after taking off layers of Z2 or Z5 on my Expedition, it seemed to get a bit dull. Not really bad, but noticeable. So on other vehicles I have done since I wait about 24 hours minimum before using any Z6. I usually remove coats about 1 hour after applying them as most everyone else does also (no 3-day wait for me, darbh!) and I always use Z6 prior to applying another layer. I feel I am getting better results with waiting awhile before using the Z6. Use a water-misted soft MT to apply your Z6. I only use Charisma towels for removal of the layers.

I use a foam pad to apply each layer (not the terry applicator that Zaino supplies.) The Viking Heavy-Duty foam pad (AutoZone has these) works great for Zaino and they last a long time. I clean mine with Dawn, rinse well, and air dry. I have labled them with a laundry marker as to what product I used with each pad and don`t mix pads/products.

Use Z5 on that black car and you`ll love it!

ISLANDSBEST
12-04-2001, 03:49 AM
Hi Inter -- that dulling experience seems odd. My car gets brighter after the Z6, even if applied immediately after taking off the Z2/5. I do agree that waiting is better, however.

imported_memnuts
12-04-2001, 09:51 AM
Guess My Name,

you state that you use Final Inspection until you are ready to add additional coats of Z. Do you have to Dawn the FI off or is it compatible with Zaino and just Z6 then Z2 or Z5? The reason I ask this is because my car in never driven in bad weather and always garage so washing is a rarity. I would like to use the FI between layering ( compare results verses Z6 ) but I need to know if I should wash the car even if it is unnecessary to remove the FI.

Thanks in advance. :confused:

DETAILKING
12-04-2001, 11:17 AM
If you are using FI for touchups, I would wash the car and use Z6 before any additional coats of zaino are applied.

imported_memnuts
12-04-2001, 11:29 AM
Thanks Detailking.

Do i need to use Dawn or just Z7 to remove the FI?:confused:

DETAILKING
12-04-2001, 12:24 PM
eom

imported_memnuts
12-04-2001, 12:53 PM
Thanks DetailKing

I`m a newbie. What does eom mean?