PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Question??

Pages : [1] 2

derrickm
11-29-2001, 10:59 AM
I was thinking about asking my wife to get me a Porter Cable kit from CMA for X-mas.

Is this a good idea to use if I`ve never used any kind of buffer before? Would this be of any use for me? Or would I be better off sticking to doing everything by hand?

BTW - I use PPCL, Klasse Twins and Blitz.

imported_doug
11-29-2001, 11:31 AM
PC Orbitals are very easy to use and quite safe.

study this forum for hints on technique. be sure to use the right pads and compounds - and get used to the orbital with the most harmless stuff - like apply your wax with it. As you get more proficient, you can use higher speeds, more pressure, and more aggressive compounds as needed. You WILL be pleased with the results, and if you`r like me, you`ll be a lot less sore the next day!

A few specific things to watch out for:

1) When the pad has nothing to rub, it doesn`t "orbit" (i.e., describe tiny circles), it will begin to spin. This causes spatter, and can quickly run a velcro-backed pad due to the centrifugal force. SO - always start the machine AFTER you put it onto the car. Also, if you`re using a slow speed, you can take it off the car while running and simply grab the pad with your hand to keep it from spinning - but you should generally shut it off immediately after lifting it.

2) Be careful not to focus only on the spot you`re working. It is easy to bang the side of the pad or the orbital itself into other parts of the car - for example I manage to tap the underside of my side-view mirrors all the time when I`m trying to get wax on the door panel nearby. The good news is that the backing plate and PC have some protective coatings so this isn`t guaranteed to cause damage, but it is to be avoided!

3) Technique matters. There have been may threads on this subject.

There are many PC users on this board - don`t hesitate to ask questions here!

Hope you get what you want for Christmas!

riotejas
11-29-2001, 05:33 PM
I`m thinking about buying a PC 7424 from coastaltool.com, but the website has all these options for counter-weights, and etc. Can anybody tell me what I`m needing in terms of accessories? I`m thinking I could just buy the PC 7424 from coastal tool then buy the PC accessory kit from CMA (part #DM-KIT).... Would I be missing something here?

11-29-2001, 07:12 PM
I bought my PC from here:
http://www.right-tool.com/6varspeedran.html (`http://www.right-tool.com/6varspeedran.html`)
I paid $134.95 and it was shipped and delivered just as promised. I hadn`t used a buffer before and have used it on both of my own cars and several other peoples cars. I`ve used 3M rubbing compound and swirl remover with no problems at all. It appears to be pretty difficult to actually do any damage with the PC, as I`ve pushed it pretty hard at times. I even wet sanded my entire Jeep Cherokee, used the PC with both rubbing compound and swirl remover without ever breaking through the clear coat. Now, I was really carefull on tops of fenders, etc to prevent problems. I bought the PC accessory kit for $59.00 from http://www.properautocare.com/porcabackit.html (`http://www.properautocare.com/porcabackit.html`) because the foam pad that comes with the PC is permanently attached to the backing plate. With the accessory kit, you get a backing plate with velcro so you only replace the pads when they wear out, plus changing to different types of pads is a snap.
http://members.home.net/dwaltz1/Jeep1.jpg

derrickm
11-30-2001, 10:36 AM
Ok.....so if I buy the PC 7424 from www.coastaltool.com and then buy the accessory kit from CMA (#DM-KIT), will I need to buy anything else?

I`ve read some posts about a "counterweight"......do I need this also?

edgewise
11-30-2001, 10:45 AM
The 6" counterweight is inexpensive insurance for the PC when used with the standard 6" foam pad.

I would get an extra 6" foam pad (comes with one) for the polish, one for the wax, and get the counterweight.

Love my Porter Cable, best exterior finish product you can buy for your car.

derrickm
11-30-2001, 11:12 AM
Where do I get the counterweight?

And...is there not another 6" foam pad with the accessory kit?

BillNorth
11-30-2001, 11:18 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by derrickm [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Where do I get the counterweight?

And...is there not another 6" foam pad with the accessory kit? [/b]</blockquote>
That`s a good question. I`ve been wondering he same thing. Where can I buy a 6" counterweight by itself if one is not shipped with the product, and cma does not provide one with their kit?

riotejas
11-30-2001, 12:46 PM
coastaltool.com has counterweights for like $1.95 i believe.

picorrect
11-30-2001, 01:43 PM
HERE (`http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pads.htm?L+coastest+wjbd3672ff09e109+1007227189`)

BillNorth
11-30-2001, 02:34 PM
tmchow, NSXNEXT...

Thank you for the info.

derrickm
11-30-2001, 03:10 PM
Thanks everyone......I can`t wait for Santa to bring my PC!!!!

pagerart
11-30-2001, 03:16 PM
I love my PC buffer. I looked at all the other brands, and to be honest, they all looked like cheap junk compared to the PC. It also makes waxing a snap.

Along with the fact that you`d have to work really hard to do any damage with the buffer, Porter-Cable has been in business forever and a lot of my other power tools come from them. IMHO, they make the best power hand tools on the market.:up

riotejas
11-30-2001, 04:54 PM
So I`m assuming a good plan would be:

PC 7424 + 6" counterweight from coastaltool.com

$59.95 Accessory kit from CMA

?

imported_BretFraz
11-30-2001, 05:07 PM
Looks like several of us are tuned to the same channel.

I ordered a PC from Coastal Tool ($115) and the DM kit from CMA ($60).

Didn`t order the counterweight as I don`t think I need it. I`ll test drive my PC and get one if needed.

Like y`all, I can hardly wait to use it. Got some BF on order...... new PC..... my car`s gonna look good!