PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect when using Finesse-It II and PC 7424?

KWANG-SEOK
11-27-2001, 09:27 AM
I`ve used my new PC 7424 and 3M SMR over the past week or so without outstanding results. However, there are a few medium swirls that these products aren`t able to remove after a couple of passes. So, upon the recommendation of folks in this forum, I`ve ordered some 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material Machine Polish to address these difficult-to-remove swirls. However, I`m now getting cold feet because a few folks have reported hazing when applying FI2. I`ve gotten a haze when applying SMR by hand, but have had no problems at all when applying SMR with the PC.

What should I expect to see when I use the PC with FI2? Will I get hazing? Will I need to follow the FI2 application with SMR? Should I use a white foam polishing pad to apply the FI2? How safe is FI2?

Thanks in advance for your help!

imported_doug
11-27-2001, 10:41 AM
Hey, Schwa -

My experience is:

1) Use a firm foad pad - yellow "cutting" typically. Use the orbital on 6. Work the material a long time, starting with higher pressure. It continues to dry and thin. By the time I stopped working it, some passes would actually lift the residue off entirely and (perhaps combining with tiny bits of foam) start to ball up into little grain-of-sand size lumps. This is the time to stop, and there should be a good shine - easily good enough to see how your swirls are coming. (Caution - the FI II residue is hard to wipe off. I used detail spray to help, AND I didn`t try to get it completely off, because I knew I was going to follow it with SMR.)

2) When I tried FI II on the black Porsche there was hazing for sure - not sure I worked it this hard. When I tried it on the ferrari I applied as above - and there was a small amount of hazing - less than there had been on the Porsche. This could be the difference in technique or paint quality - I don`t know. (BMW sprays Sikkens paint. Does anyone know anything about Ferrari paint?)

3) The above haze, in both cases, was easily eliminated with SMR - either 3M or Meguiar`s.

Hope that helps!

BradE
11-27-2001, 11:25 AM
I think the Paint supplier to Ferrari is PPG.