PDA

View Full Version : Glass Polishing question

neomatrix
11-23-2001, 12:52 PM
I have minor scratches and pits on my windshield. I found some cerium oxide from a local glass supply store here and I wanted to use my PC with the Lambswool pad ( from CMA Kit ) with this to polish my windshield. Is this ok or do I need the wool glass polishing wheel from Eastman/JCwhitney ?

adjulian
11-24-2001, 02:09 PM
I used the Eastwood kit with a variable speed drill. I don`t see why you couldn`t use your PC with the cerium oxide. Obviously, you will not want to use that pad after it has been used on your glass. One concern I would have is that the wheel you get from JC Whitney or Eastwood is very dense and you can really work the cerium oxide or rhodite into the glass. Don`t know if you will be able to do that with the PC pads.

The other thing I will caution you on is the RPMs of the PC. I am not familiar with the PC so I am not sure of the RPMs it can achieve. The reason you want to be concerned about RPMs is burning. If you go to high, you have a real good chance of actually burning the glass and pitting it and really screwing it up.

Check out my review in the PRODUCT REVIEW section for more information on my experience.

Hope it helps.

neomatrix
11-25-2001, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. I might get the glass polishing wheel to use with the cerium oxide but I do not have a variable speed drill. I hope my regular drill works though.

Lemonxxs
11-25-2001, 01:14 PM
Chips are impossible to remove they are too deep. Light scratches can be removed. A orbital is better for the less experienced.