PDA

View Full Version : Took my tailgate to get detailed....

iforcev8
11-18-2001, 01:14 PM
I few weeks ago, I took in my tailgate to get detailed because there were some scratches I put on it after removing the emblems. I tried the Meguiers 2.0, and didn`t have luck with it. Maybe I`m just too inexperienced, but it gave me more swirls. So I took it into the local detailer, and they said they would buff out the swirls and wax it for 10 bucks. So I took it in. He layed it down on the panel, and thats when figured he would blast it with a pressure washer to remove the dust, be He didnt! He just went right on to buff the paint with some green stuff, and several tries later, the marks were gone. My question is, did he use the dust as an light abbrasive? Or was he just lazy?

JasonC8301
11-18-2001, 02:16 PM
What kind of green was it? A dark green, olive green, or light green.

I know Meguiars #7 showcar polish is a dark/olive green color. It is mostly filler and oils.

I don`t think it is a good idea to buff a dirty/dusty panel. A clean panel, with the right abrasive is better IMHO.

Spray a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and rubbing alcohol (IPA) onto the tailgate. Then take a 30X magnifier and look at the surface, do you see any micro marring? Are the scratches back? If they are, the buffer used a glaze and filled in the scratches.

(Ron K. test.)

Jason