PDA

View Full Version : Blackfired!!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

JonB
11-17-2001, 05:29 PM
I spent about an hour of so this morning stripping the Klasse/Blitz off the trunk lid of my Mustang with Liquid Glass Precleaner, clayed with Pinnacle Poly Clay, one pass with 3M Fine Cut by hand, 2 passes Finesse It with PC and yellow pad, One pass SMR, white pad, one pass PPCL white pad. The paint was smooth as glass, give or take one or two very minor small scratches that will take some sanding. I then applied Blackfire polish by hand with a dry MF applicator. Waited about 1 minute and wiped with an MF. Then applied the Blackfire protectant with a dry MF applicator. It spreads very easily and does not dry too fast to spread over half a panel. I then did the other half of the panel, waited about 2 minutes for haze (might want to wait a few mins longer) and wiped with an MF. Sprayed the the Blackfire QD, then immediately went on to the 2nd and 3rd coats.

The results are quite good. My impressions so far:

Blackfire is easier to apply and remove than Klasse, similar to Zaino.

No waiting time like Klasse or Zaino

Can apply coats back to back

The shine is very good. At least as good as both Klasse and Zaino. It blends well with the rest of the Mustang which has been Klassed/Blitz. Maybe a bit lighter because Blitz tends to darken. I have yet to determine if the depth is better than plain Klasse or Zaino without a wax topper.

I haven`t seen rain or washed yet to see the sheeting.

I can`t comment on swirl coverage as I did a very thorough prep and removed 98 percent of the visible swirls under the halogen lights.

The QD is very thick, goes a long way and buffs out very nice.

I will be doing additional panels over the next week and will try to get some pictures of adjacent panels with the Blackfire and Klasse/Blitz combo.

H

:up

rstype
11-17-2001, 06:10 PM
How can you describe the paint finish after it got Blackfired? Did it achieve the deep & warm carnauba-look, or did the surface stay cold but reflective? Is it true that the “Paint glows and ripples like it is underwater.â€

Thanks!

flatstastic
11-17-2001, 08:11 PM
Does blackfire dust up? There is nothing I hate more than a dusty product. So far it sounds like a winner!

JonB
11-18-2001, 11:24 AM
Well folks, I applied 3 more coats of Blackfire this morning. It is virtually indestinguishable from the adjacent panels that have Klasse/Blitz. The depth is definitely excellent.

Blackfire is the easiest product to apply that I have used to date. It goes on very smoothly with an MF applicator. I let it dry on the car for about 5 to 10 minutes, which if you are doing the whole car, I imagine you would apply all around and then remove all around like I do with SG. It removes as easy as Zaino, much easier than Klasse. The QD spray is excellent, does not smear and buffs out very easily. Probably very similar to Z6. Being able to apply 3 coats, back to back is a great improvement over the the current state of Zaino or Klasse, though I have not yet had the opportunity to compare this with ZFX. It seems that Blackfire will be more economical to use than Klasse or Zaino, but I am not absolutely sure about this. Time will tell.

Lastly, I have yet to see the sheeting. I guess my next wash will show that and I will let you know.

H

neomatrix
11-18-2001, 11:32 AM
Are you going to experiment on a blitz/souveran topper just to see how it will look? I am just curious about it. I have also ordered blackfire but won`t get it till after Thanksgiving :mad:

( live on the west side of the country). I ordered the New Car Kit and forgot to get the QD. Do I really need it? Do you think FI or EF QD is OK to use?

Thanks for the review.:up

JonB
11-18-2001, 11:49 AM
Get the QD. It is specially formulated to work with Blackfire, similar to Zaino and Z6. It will probably extend the protection as well. Definitely worth it!

H

JonB
11-18-2001, 03:01 PM
I put a 7th layer of BF on earlier today and I was curious to see the sheeting action, so I splashed some water on the trunklid and watched. The water rolled around very much like Mercury would on a smooth surface. It did not form any beads. When the blob of water finally rolled off, the lid was dry, no beads. Pretty cool.... I`m not quite sure of the physics involved, but it`s almost as if the Blackfire does not allow any surface tension to water droplets, so they coalesce into one big blob.

I think it will be fairly obvious to tell when the Blackfire needs to be re-applied despite it`s non-beading surface. It`s very smooth and slick similar to Zaino.

H

:up :up :up

YoSteve
11-18-2001, 03:29 PM
bigboyhf, good deal. one question, put a drop of water on a flat surface like the roof, what does that look like? Good deal on the BF.

JonB
11-18-2001, 04:23 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

put a drop of water on a flat surface like the roof, what does that look like?</blockquote>

Well, given that the Mustang is a convertible....the trunk is as flat as it gets. But I think I know what you are thinking about. The edges of the water blob are like the edge of a bead, neat and smooth. Its not like water on a surface that has no protection where the edges flatten out and have no distinct symmetry. I think the analogy of Mercury rolling around describes it as best I can without pics. I will see if I can get a pic so you can see it for yourself.

H

YoSteve
11-18-2001, 05:05 PM
cool bigboyBF :D sounds like bead/sheet to me :) can`t wait to see how long it lasts. :up

flatstastic
11-18-2001, 07:44 PM
Is it dusty when wiping it off ?

JonB
11-18-2001, 08:59 PM
Not at all....no dust. I used an old MF and I used the same one for all 7 coats! There is hardly any residue on it now after all that.

My son is home for a couple of days and we are going to tackle the VW tomorrow. I can`t believe what it looks like.....bug city! This looks like a job for.....

JonB
11-19-2001, 02:10 PM
Spent a few hours with the bug. ABC`d first to remove any residual Klasse/Souveran. PPCL the hood...unfortunately there is some bug etching which require either pro buffing or repaint, but I got them minimized as best as I could with Pinnacle Poly Clay.

Blackfire Polish one time, then Blackfire Protectant once and finished with the BF Spray QD which really brings out the shine and removes any residual product. Just one note: my son washes his car once every couple of months.... :(

Here are a few pics.

JonB
11-19-2001, 02:11 PM
This is the hood....

JonB
11-19-2001, 02:13 PM
Last one...