PDA

View Full Version : Paint peeling - best think to do?

Josiah
11-15-2001, 05:12 PM
We have an old 1986 Ford Conversion van that has been outside all of its life, and the paint is peeling on the hood (one half the hood) and some spots on the side. Haven`t even looked at the roof ... What should I do to keep it looking its best for the rest of its life, short of getting it repainted? Sand the peeling off and then use some paint sealant on top of that?

I know you can`t fix it, it is caused by the bonding underneath the paint, but there has got to be a decent fix to it. Since the van is close to 12 years old, it doesn`t make sense to get it repainted. Any tips?

Josiah

SuperBee364
11-15-2001, 06:29 PM
Get a roller and paint it.

Lemonxxs
11-15-2001, 06:34 PM
Is it the clear coat or actural color coat?

Sounds like you can either like the look of the peeling paint or get it painted. No sense in waxing primer!

Josiah
11-15-2001, 07:03 PM
This is what it looks like. Just the top layer is peeling off, the color is still beneath it..

http://216.71.77.231/PICT0146cmp.jpg

Lemonxxs
11-15-2001, 07:28 PM
Man that looks bad.

Your fix depends on what you want it to look like.

Sanding and spray paint will prevent rust for a bit but will look like crap I bet.

bmerjorge21
11-15-2001, 07:36 PM
Why not get it re-painted?? A Maaco/ local Vocational high school would probably paint it pretty cheap.

BradE
11-15-2001, 07:53 PM
You really dont have many options with that. Even if you sand it down and polish with a heavy cut compound, it is still going to look really bad because the clearcoat has totaly failed. Just take it to Macco and get it painted for a couple of hundred bucks, it may not be the best paint job in the world but it will look better than it does now.

Josiah
11-15-2001, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback... I`ll see about getting it repainted. That would be nice, just need to detirmine whether it is worth it or not.

I didn`t think of the vocational high school... thanks.

Josiah