PDA

View Full Version : newbie wax questions

Pages : [1] 2

TJKII
10-30-2001, 03:48 PM
I just washed my car for the first time and ive never washed a car before this is all so new to me... When are you supposed to take wax off a car and how do you know its comming off??

FastHappy
10-30-2001, 04:09 PM
hello riskus and welcome to the forum,

this will greatly depend on what kind of wax you are using. also when you say "take a wax off`, do you mean when applying a fresh coat of wax and buffing it off. Or are you attempting to strip a coat of wax from your car so that it has no wax on it at all?

dengelson
10-30-2001, 04:27 PM
Hey riskus for someone just starting out it is sure smart of you to seek out this site. You will be glad that you did. What condition is the paint in? How old is it? Is it oxidized? Is it new? Is the surface really clean? Is it smooth?

I`m kinda new to this but it seems to me that detailing a car is a lot like painting a house in that the work spent on <strong class=`bbc`>preparing the surface[/b] for paint on a house or wax on a car is crucial for achieving the best final results.

Look forward to your future participation. Together we`ll get your ride looking its best.

TJKII
10-30-2001, 04:35 PM
http://criticalthrash.com/car.jpg

Its a new car.. its only 3 weeks old now... the dealer waxed it and everything and it looks like its in good condition... i was thinking about putting some klasse on it and wasnt sure if the wax should be taken off/reapplied/left on

JonB
10-30-2001, 04:40 PM
If you are going with Klasse, the AIO will strip whatever the dealer put on. If the paint is new, just do the AIO once and then start layering on the SG, usually after 2 or 3 layers you will have to wear protective eyewear so the shine doesn`t hurt your eyes! :cool: Some people here like to add a layer of Blitz wax or Souveran to give it some extra depth, but it isn`t necessary if you are happy with just the Klasse shine. It should last about 6 months or so before you have to re-apply. Just wash once a week and you are all set! If you search the archives you will find lots of tips on applying Klasse... Oh yeah, nice car!!

H

TJKII
10-30-2001, 04:45 PM
AIO? SG?

Langley Interior Car Kare
10-30-2001, 04:56 PM
will look smokin` with the Klasse stuff on it...man o man.......i really like the bugs...they are hot....serach all the threads for a few days....and soon you will be the master of your domain...:)....................................or just use Zaino....sorry i had to throw that in....

dengelson
10-30-2001, 04:59 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by riskus [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>AIO? SG? [/b]</blockquote>
Klasse <strong class=`bbc`>A[/b]ll <strong class=`bbc`>I[/b]n <strong class=`bbc`>O[/b]ne and <strong class=`bbc`>S[/b]ealant <strong class=`bbc`>G[/b]laze (`http://www.properautocare.com/klasapguid.html`)

TJKII
10-30-2001, 05:08 PM
you are all so much help!:)

TJKII
10-30-2001, 05:25 PM
i hope so!

im just so nervous about doing more harm than good! once i get the hang of it im sure i will be out there even in the winter doing it

BradE
10-30-2001, 05:54 PM
riskus,

Congrats on your purchase, VW is making some really sweet cars these days. I love the new Passats, they are basically Audi`s with the VW badge.

Anyway back on topic. Since you have a black car, you will soon find out that many many things will scratch it. Here are some quick tips to keep it looking good:

Use the 2 Bucket wash method to aviod swirls. This method has 2 buckets (duh :) ) one has your car wash shampoo and water, and the other bucket has clean water. Wash one panel of your car at a time, and then rinse your mitt out in the clean water bucket. Do this after every panel, you will be amazed at how much dirt gets on your car.

Don`t use cheap towels on a black car. Invest in some quailty towels. Microfiber and cotton are best. Magic/Miracle towels are awsome for paint. You can get them here www.properautocare.com or www.tacscar.com . Cotton towels are also great for helping to dry the car, and for other various uses. Get good ones, I personally use Fieldcrest Charisma towels. These towels are very pricey in department stores, around $19.99-$24.99 per bath towel. But, you can get them from the Fieldcrest outlet for much cheaper. www.fieldcrestcannonoutlet.com Also, if you have a HomeGoods store near you they also carry them at great prices, sometimes lower than the outlet store.

You don`t need to be nervous about using Klasse. Once you get the hang of it, you will love it. Sometimes I can`t help myself and feel the need to apply more layers of Sealant Glaze, I think I am addicted :) I suggest you use the Search feature, there are tons of threads about a wide range of topics and products. They range from just the basics to advanced applications of different products.

Welcome to the forum.

YoSteve
10-30-2001, 06:08 PM
riskus, what`s up ;)

nice car (and wheels!), and good job at parking (huggin the corner :D)

You`ll love it, welcome to the Klasse.

offcenter
10-30-2001, 06:13 PM
Welcome riskus, nice ride. After you get your detailing tips here, check out http://www.vwvortex.com (`http://www.vwvortex.com`) for some good VW forums.:up

TJKII
10-30-2001, 06:25 PM
rad: im all ready on the vortex, i like it :)

Steve: even parking in that spot scares me! I always try to park in those spots in the background to the left... 5 spots that are on a curve so there is plenty of room to open doors all the way!

compulady
10-30-2001, 06:45 PM
Gimp,

Are you implying in your post that it is ok to use some QD in between layers of SG? Will using QD in between layers of SG or before applying some blitz or Pinnacle wax cause any adhesion problems when applying the wax?