PDA

View Full Version : Rain treatmeant

hkross
10-17-2001, 09:26 PM
I have pondered does that rain treatmeant stuff work. Cause i wana buy that castrol rain repelent. And that dofoger stuff any coments please

Neeraj
10-17-2001, 10:08 PM
I`ve had excellent results with RainX, except for the slightly noticeable haze I cannot get off when I initially apply it. To get it off, I wait to the next day and use some water and a rag to remove it.

Anyway, I`ve only used RainX, haven`t tried the Castrol brand yet. But I can tell you, I live in Louisiana, where rain is no stranger, and on my Explorer that is 2.5 years old, I can say that I have never used my windshield wipers. Water, no matter how heavy rolls right off.

On my car, I`ve used Zaino Z2 on them, it works ok, but I do not think the beading is as pronounced as with RainX.

If Castrol produces similar results and wipes off clean, I will definitely give it a try.

Brian

ww50th
10-17-2001, 11:26 PM
RainX........:up

DETAILKING
10-18-2001, 07:38 AM
It is hard to buff off completely though. I have been using Z2 on all my windows and the beading is nice, and so is the added reflectivity of the glass.

JonB
10-18-2001, 09:31 AM
I find there is less chattering of the wipers with Z2 than with Rain-X. The beading is very adequate with Z2.

H

Ron Ketcham
10-18-2001, 08:01 PM
Castrol, Rain-X are dimethal silicone fluid treatments.

That is why they do not last, they create a hazing of the glass and build up on the wiper blades.

AquaPel by PPG (very large producer of automotive glass) is a flurocarbon resin product.

That is the reason that the PPG product does not haze, come off the glass and affect the wiper blades and lasts much longer.

It is not an oily based fluid, but an actual resin.

Ketch

:bounce

imported_akimel
10-18-2001, 08:22 PM
Z2 provides beading without the haze. I`ll never use RainX again.

Neeraj
10-18-2001, 08:36 PM
Hey Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have never heard of AquaPel. Sounds good. Where do I get it?

It looks to be a professionally applied product only.

Brian

Neeraj
10-18-2001, 10:56 PM
My thoughts exactly, Gimp.

I did a search through yahoo and came up with some companies that will apply it, including those quick oil change shops.

This makes me question the `professional` part in `professionally installed`.

Years ago, when I actually went to Jiffy Lube regularly, I always requested they do not vacuum or clean the windows for the same reason you stated.

Brian

bmerjorge21
10-19-2001, 12:46 PM
I`ve also searched the net, and it does seem that consumers cannot buy the product and apply it themselves. I wish they`d sell it to us, I`d actually try it!! Second the professional sentiment as well! I am proud to say that I have never been to Jiffy/ any quick-lube place ever. :D