PDA

View Full Version : Accident.... no waxing soon.

msmcdon
10-17-2001, 09:44 AM
Hey all...

Just thought I`d come by and share my wife`s (and my) accident story. :( If this thread needs to be put into another forum... go ahead and move it, but since I won`t be performing my new winter Klasse wax on the Camry, I thought it was valid here.

My wife was driving yesterday (me shotgun) and we were pulling out of a parking lot heading South onto a large road (2 lanes South, 2 lanes North with no turning lane). Rush hour traffic, but there was a large break both ways, so she pulls out. I`m looking North to double check there is no traffic coming and when I turn my head around, the next thing I see is a silouette of a car coming at us (the sun is right in our eyes at that angle). My wife slammed on the brakes but it was too late. BANG! :mad:

Turns out that the other driver was making a left hand turn North from the opposite parking lot and we hit head on right on the divider line. Just bad timing and bad luck, I guess. I don`t know who`s at fault.... I would say 50/50. The other driver claimed she wasn`t moving when we collided, but she wasn`t there 5 seconds before when my wife decided to pull out. Even if she wasn`t moving, why was she sitting in the middle of the road stopped??

The other driver`s car, a 1993 Oldsmobile 4-door sedan (large) is hardly damaged, but when my wife hit the brakes, the front of the Camry dove down just enough to slide under the Old`s bumper... Camry`s lights and grill are smashed in and her hood is crumpled up. Looks like the radiator is sitting at an angle, too, though it still runs smoothly.

Anyhow.... sorry for the vent. I need to have the film deleloped of the photos I took after we got home last night for the Police report we will file after work. I`ll post them later today. I just hope that the damage isn`t more than the car is worth because I really don`t want another car payment! :)

Brad B
10-17-2001, 12:26 PM
Man, sorry to hear that. At least you were not hurt. Pick a good body shop and be sure it`s understood fron the start that you (or the insurance company) will pay for the repair upon YOUR approval of quality, paint match, etc. Don`t pay until it`s perfect.

Good luck. :(

msmcdon
10-18-2001, 08:40 AM
Well.... for those of you who are interested in our little fender-bender, here are a couple photos. After filing the report yesterday, it looks like it was a draw.

The police officer told us to be careful with our insurance company because both us and the other lady carry the same insurance... meaning State Farm doesn`t have any vested interest in the case (won`t make any money!) He said to watch them like a hawk!

Figures. :rolleyes:

And the most embarassing thing is that the Silver Bullet wasn`t looking it`s best when we hit.... it was actually DIRTY! Gasp!

Anyone know a good body shop in the Kansas City area? I want to make sure this is done right. Thanks for your input.

Lemonxxs
10-18-2001, 04:51 PM
Bummer on the wreck. Thank God no one was injured.

but I would love to hear about how the Insurance companies handle it when complete. How about posting in the Insurance forum when complete.

bmerjorge21
10-29-2001, 11:31 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident Graeme. I have never been to MO, but I would check the I-CAR site http://209.103.220.181/gold_class/FMPro?-db=goldclass.fp5&-lay=Gold%20Class&-format=search_public.htm&-view (`http://209.103.220.181/gold_class/FMPro?-db=goldclass.fp5&-lay=Gold%20Class&-format=search_public.htm&-view`) to find a shop in your area. If you have never heard of I-CAR, it is basically the ASE equivalent in Collision Repair, instead of mechanics. Hope all goes well!! :cool:

Langley Interior Car Kare
10-29-2001, 01:20 PM
i hope the interior damge isnt that bad....the front doesnt look horrible but with an older car the $ gets insane at times....that nose dive she took from the brakes really is what did it...i had a 99 altima and the same thing happened....i slammed the brakes....front under his rear.....meanwhile all he had a bent exhaust and thats all.....take the others advice.....no $ til you are completely satisfied...because even a good body shop will make you wait...and wait...once they have their $...good luck and as said that god your all alright...

msmcdon
10-29-2001, 03:04 PM
The Silver Bullet is going to the shop today after work. I picked a shop that was recommended by a number of my co-workers and just today clicked on the link you posted. Guess what? The shop I chose is one of two I-CAR Gold Class listed in the Kansas City area! Thanks for the link... it helped build a little confidence that I actually am sending my car to a place that cares. How bout that? :up

I`m also going to have them give me an estimate on repairing that huge 7" key scratch in the rear passenger quarterpanel that I tried (very unsucessfully) to repair myself. Since they will already have the paint mixed and matched for the front, I figure this will be the best time to do it.

An update on everything else: The insurance company was kinda hard on us <strong class=`bbc`>until[/b] they found out that the lady that hit us DIDN`T have the same insurance... she has Farmer`s while we have State Farm. When they found that out, they backed off totally and have been very helpful. Figures. :p

Another good thing: Last year I had Rental Car coverage added, just in case something like this happened. Well, SF will pay 80% of a daily rate (Economy) car while our car is in the shop. Here`s the kicker.... since my wife and I carpool anyway and don`t need the rental, SF pays us $10 everyday that the car is in the shop (up to 2 weeks). :D

I`ll keep everyone in the loop on how the repairs go. The Camry made a funny "clacking" this morning on startup, which it hasn`t done before, but then again, we haven`t started it since the accident two weeks ago. I hope it was just from having all the oil in the pan. It seemed to go away after a few minutes of idling.

bmerjorge21
10-29-2001, 05:35 PM
Glad to hear that everything is underway!! Actually, the Subaru is currently idle due to the brother rear-ending someone. It is in far worse shape than the Camry (needs new hood, bumper, right fender, and a headlight/parking lamp). This is the 3rd accident this year that a car I own has been in an accident (none of them my fault). Very relieved to hear that you and your wife are o.k. I know from firsthand experience just how bad accidents can be. :(

Were you wearing belts??

msmcdon
10-29-2001, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear about the Subaru.... hope it`s back on the road soon, as well. Yes, we were wearing our seatbelts.... and besides, it was a very low-speed impact. Maybe 10 mph each.

The body shop is going to contact me tomorrow with the estimate. They couldn`t give it to me tonight because they don`t know how much engine compartment damage was done and they couldn`t get the hood up while we were there. (The grill smashed in and crumpled the hood release.)

Hopefully it won`t be too much... or we might be looking at a new car! Kinda a neat idea but I really don`t want another car payment! :p

Thanks for your concern.... I`ll keep you posted.

:up

bmerjorge21
10-29-2001, 10:32 PM
Best of luck graeme!! Would they/you consider using used parts?? The grill for example. Just a thought.

msmcdon
10-30-2001, 09:20 AM
I am not opposed to used parts, as long as they are in good shape. Only problem I forsee is that used parts are going to be hard to find for a 11 year old Camry in the Rust-Belt.

We`ll have to see....

:)

bmerjorge21
10-30-2001, 11:10 AM
What about the grill?? That shouldn`t be rusted, should it??

msmcdon
10-30-2001, 11:58 AM
Nope.... the grille is plastic and I might be able to find it used. Luckily, the bumper is only slightly scuffed so they may not have to replace it. In fact, when they call me I`ll make sure to tell them not to replace the bumper.

I mean... when it really comes down to it... it`s an 11 year old car with 130,000 miles on it! I know we`re only going to have it for at most a couple years.

I`ve got a friend who builds F-150`s here in KC and he can get any Ford vehicle and just over cost so we might get my wife a new Focus sedan with the sporty engine.

:)

bmerjorge21
10-30-2001, 12:12 PM
That`s a good deal Graeme!! I think she would really want a Ranger though. No wait, that`s me!! Ha ha ha!!!:D

msmcdon
10-31-2001, 04:46 PM
Well....

The insurance company has been very good with us and threw in a few extra days of rental car coverage to bring us to $100 cash back from them. As to the Silver Bullet, it is going to it`s final resting place.

I could hardly believe it, but CarStar called us and dropped the bomb yesterday. There is $2400 worth of damage to the Camry, which is more than 65% of the total value that State Farm considers a total loss. And that is will ALL used parts! They are going to cut us a check for $3250 (the retail value of it) as soon as I can meet my agent.

Off to buy a new (used?) car and welcome another 5 years of car payments. Oh well.... at least I`ll have a new vehicle to keep clean from day one!

:D

I`ll let you all know what we get, but it will be in the same class, most likely: Focus, Camry, Sentra, etc. That reminds me.... I haven`t checked out Subaru`s website yet!