PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ron K. - Again.

BillNorth
10-15-2001, 08:15 AM
Hey Ron. What do you know about the paint Mercedes uses on it`s cars. In particular, the current generation CLK Class? Alot of owners on the MB CLK boards have been complaining about numerous paint chips from even the slightest nick. This is definately a big problem, as everyone seems to bring it up on a very regular basis. You mentioned before that only two or three companies provide paint to the entire industry. Does MB use less coats than others? These same people who complain about MB paint praise the paint on their previous lexus` and BMW`s.

Any info you could pass along would be very much appreciated. Ron, as always, thank you for your time. :)

BillNorth
10-16-2001, 11:21 AM
Bump!!! Sorry guys, I think Ron missed it last night. Too far at the bottom.

BillNorth
10-16-2001, 06:47 PM
BUMP!! Ron if you can shed some light on this, cool, otherwise, fuggettaboutit!

Thanks.

Ron Ketcham
10-16-2001, 08:05 PM
But, I have to think, based upon what knowledge I have, they are depending on the old technology 2K clears, rather than utilizing the new 1K+ and anti-chip primers where they should.

I do know that there is a "big" difference of opinion going on regarding this subject between Chrysler and M/B on various paint issues.

The Germans are doing their usual, " we are Mercedes and we can do no wrong!" and the North American DCX group saying, look at the facts from the new multi-million dollar (US dollars) facility and the testing.

These issues are very involved, Bill, and not easy to answer here.

Some are =

1. Is the clear too hard?

2. Is the base coat to hard and doesn`t have any give?

3. Is the primer coat to hard and doesn`t have any give?

4. Is the clear too soft and the base too hard?

And that is just a small start on addressing the concern.

I could go on and on, and this is not the place, nor is there enough bandwidth to even start to cover the subject.

Best guess, primer is not giving enough and the clear is not the new 1K+, so it chips easily.

I really don`t follow the in`s and out`s of M/B that much, but then their sales in the US and the German influence makes it difficult for me to get excited about them.

Ketch

:eek:

BillNorth
10-16-2001, 08:27 PM
Thanks Ron!