PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite wheel cleaning tool?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Ronin
10-04-2001, 08:19 AM
What do you guys use? What is most effective? Currently I use an old wash mitt (works well I suppose), but am thinking of trying something new. Any suggestions?

BradE
10-04-2001, 09:04 AM
I use an el-cheapo MF towel. I have not had any problems with it.

rmccall6
10-04-2001, 09:07 AM
Griots Garage three finger detail mitt. That and EF-Hi, a dangerous combo!

edgewise
10-04-2001, 09:21 AM
I use Griots wheel cleaner, let is sit for 5 min. rinse it off, wheel is clean..no need for manual cleaning as long as I do this once a week.

If and when I do let it go for longer than a week, I use an old wash mitt. I have a wheel brush, but they never get dirty enough to justify it.

Bobby G
10-04-2001, 09:30 AM
I like the OXO brushes with a couple shots of EF-HI.

rmccall6
10-04-2001, 10:55 AM
I too have used Griots wheel cleaner. Good but Ef-Hi is much better for dirty wheels and rinses off easier

truvette
10-04-2001, 11:02 AM
I`ve used Brad B`s recommendation of a foam ended bottle brush....works great! Allows me to get in all the little spokes and even behind the wheels.

edgewise
10-04-2001, 11:56 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Brad4rdHay [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I too have used Griots wheel cleaner. Good but Ef-Hi is much better for dirty wheels and rinses off easier [/b]</blockquote>
Brad, I like to test products, where is this sold, (and is that an acronym for the brand?)

Thanks

Lemonxxs
10-04-2001, 12:17 PM
Only on cool wheels and rinse well, very well at first.

I use a hard brush on the tires and a soft brush on the wheels at first with a wheel cleaner either Meguires or other Wal Mart best. Then I wash them again with mit and car shampoo.

As long as the clear coat does not get messed up brake dust should be easy to remove. Even easier if you wax/polymer them once in a while.

At least once a year you should remove the wheel and clean the inside as well and coat with a wax/polymer.

The pain is getting in and around the lug nut openings for that I use a kitchen glass sponge on a stick. It compresses and fits into tight openings well.

Tip when you do your wheels, do the wheel wells and any suspension components.

Also when all wheels complete I rinse the driveway around the vehicle before beginning to wash it.

rmccall6
10-04-2001, 12:20 PM
If you are refering to me, the product i like to use is Eiman Fabrik Hi-Intensity cleaner. (many here use the acronym EF=eiman fabrik). It is a strong, safe non-acid cleaner, that like i said, is much better than the Griots. Also works great as a tire cleaner too. I do like the Griots garage three finder detail mitt alot for wheels and highly sugest that you try em out.

edgewise
10-04-2001, 01:08 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Brad4rdHay [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>If you are refering to me, the product i like to use is Eiman Fabrik Hi-Intensity cleaner. (many here use the acronym EF=eiman fabrik). It is a strong, safe non-acid cleaner, that like i said, is much better than the Griots. Also works great as a tire cleaner too. I do like the Griots garage three finder detail mitt alot for wheels and highly sugest that you try em out. [/b]</blockquote>
Yes, I have the 3-finger mitts, have yet to use them (new cars don`t produce alot of brake dust at first...)

Where can I find this "EF" product?

andrew43
10-04-2001, 01:13 PM
Are you kidding? My 2001 330i dusts worse than my other car, which has racing pads on! Not to mention the wheels are a PITA to clean thoroughly!

I use car wash (Simple Green if I REALLY have to, which I havent yet), lots of water, an OXO wheel brush, and LOTS of elbow grease.

BradE
10-04-2001, 01:15 PM
Ripsnort

EF= Eimann Fabrik. You can buy there stuff at www.properautocare.com or www.tacscar.com

Their stuff is good. The High Intensity cleaner even removes browning from tires. And you get 32 oz bottle instead of 16oz. It top notch stuff, I think you will like it. :up

JonB
10-04-2001, 01:58 PM
I have never seen worse brake dust than on the 330i. The discs are oversized and the front ones dust worse than the others. I noticed that even after cleaning the wheels, there was still embedded particles. I ended up using some Armour All Wheel cleaner (not recommended for regular use) for about a min and scrubbed with an Oxo brush. Rinsed thoroughly, dried and then used AIO with foam finger pads. Since then I use EF HI or Amazing Roll Off and a tiny tad of a brush with Oxo brush and they come clean very easily. Yesterday I just sprayed with water and dried with a towel and they came clean, so I think the AIO really helps!

H

99323ic
10-04-2001, 02:39 PM
The EF HI is really good and rinses off well. Compared to the Griot`s wheel cleaner, I think that I`m 50/50. I just use the freebie sponge that Griot`s includes (but you have to buy a sprayer head unlike CMA which includes one with the HI).

Frankly, I switch between the 2, but lean towards the HI when the wheels are really dirty. But the Griot`s smells better to me.

HI also works well as a general purpose cleaner. My wife works in a warehouse and her PC gets horribly yucky. A couple of squirts on a cotton towel and <strong class=`bbc`>SHAZAAAM[/b] a new-looking computer!