PDA

View Full Version : You`d think I`d learn by now

DJ
10-03-2001, 09:07 PM
Took my car into the dealer, and asked that they look at the door and bumper stripping, as something was applied to the car during shipping that I can`t remove. I wanted them to look at it, though made the mistake of saying they could try to clean it. The car was pretty dusty when I brought it in, and these ying-yangs applied some of the nastiness vinyl protectorant I`ve ever encountered (the same stuff they had put on the car when it was prepped). These geniuses also decided to wipe away the excess, and managed to wipe three to four inches below the strip over the dust. I had finally managed to get the car looking quite nice (thanks to the great tips and products recommended on this site), only to have this happen.

How many times can I safety get away with using Finesse It, and IHG? Can these products be used many times over the life of the car without jeopardizing the clearcoat?

imported_Brad
10-04-2001, 07:37 AM
IHG can be used as often as necessary. Any abrasive should be used sparingly. There is no rule stating how often you can use an abrasive. It completely depends on the thickness of the clearcoat, the type of abrasive used and how hard you rub.

I have used Finesse It at least once or twice a year to keep the swirls at bay. It`s a judgement call. Once a car is initially prepped, you should only have to use abrasives for spot damage.

Ideally, you never want to use abrasives so be careful.

mx5
10-04-2001, 08:01 AM
What was most likely applied was the rust protectant. Rust protectant looks like a thick, light brown colored motor oil, but is stuck on there like glue. You should not remove this unless you really need to. On my last car, the mechanic could not believe how much they sprayed on the inside of the doors, trunk, and hood. It was running out the seams when it dried. He said I sure got my moneys worth.

DJ
10-04-2001, 08:19 AM
Appreciate the tips (as always). I wasn`t clear about the junk that I couldn`t remove from the stripping. It was white, and it was on the paint in many spots as well. HD cleanse removed the white stuff from the paint, though it wasn`t easy. On the strippnig, I tried Armour All clean start, another similar cleaner I obtained from Leatherique, and Einmam Fabrik (sp?) high intensity cleaner to no avail. I`ve tried scratching the stuff off in an inconspicuous area with a fingernail, and I`m convinced now its bleached or something. What I wanted was for them to make an honest attempt to clean it, and once they failed, ask for it to be replaced. Instead, they gooped it, and wiped the excess off over the dusty paint. All of this is no good for my blood pressure. Perhaps some forever black will rectify this, and I`ll be the only one to know.

Again, thanks for the feedback.