PDA

View Full Version : Water Based Paint?

Lowejackson
09-29-2001, 11:47 AM
I have found several discussions on a alfa romeo forum where the quality of paint is under discussion. The issue seems to be about how quickly the paint is damaged or becomes chipped.

Someone has said it is because the paint is water based, does this have any meaning to anybody. Could a major company be using some strange paint which can look really good but is very prone to damage (I am not convinced).

But, the paint on my black 164 can look really good but everyday I seem to get a new scratch. Strangely the left hand side of the car is like a mirror but the RHS looks dull and is covered in chips and scratches.

Steven

Autoglym & Blitz

Neeraj
09-29-2001, 11:55 AM
When they refer to water based paint, they are really referring to the medium used when painting the car.

Other paints use some sort of petroleum (or maybe it`s alcohol based) medium. Water is used instead mostly for environmental issues.

When the paint dries, the water evaporates and leaves only the paint, same goes for the non water based paint, when the medium evaporates, you are left with the paint.

I think the only major difference between the two is drying time. Naturally, the non water based paint dries on the car faster than the water based.

In the end, the paint is the same, just the process differs.

Brian

Bobby G
09-29-2001, 12:07 PM
All major auto makers are now using water based paints. Most countries have banned the use of solvents. My experience is that the German car makers seem to have the new paint systems perfected. US and other makers are okay, but are not back to the level they were.

I have noticed with my Porsche cars that the paint is somewhat soft (I can leave an impression with a fingernail). This is good, as it reduces chips. A stone is more likely to leave a small impression.

The Alfa formula may cure to a hard finish, which would promote stone chips.

db

We're Here
09-29-2001, 01:33 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DavidB [/i]<strong class=`bbc`>

<snip> My experience is that the German car makers seem to have the new paint systems perfected <snip> db [/b]</blockquote>
IMO, David has this right. Our 26 month old Benz has received regular washings but otherwise has suffered embarrassingly so considering that I`m a member of this forum! The paint on this car is in unbelievably good shape despite my rapt inattention!

The environmental concerns were significant if one considers the amount of gausing-off involved with a paint production line!

rmccall6
09-29-2001, 03:00 PM
I have also found german paints to be soft, but unfortunately, some contain alot of orange peel. I have found the Lexus paint to be the best, virtually no orange peel, but it seems a little harder.