PDA

View Full Version : Viking Mitts Again!

We're Here
09-29-2001, 04:38 AM
Viking mitts aren`t universally stocked in my area so, after striking out at the local Walmart and two AutoZones, I got on the phone and found them in stock at the AutoZone in Braintree (MA). I picked up four out of a filthy bin along with several Viking foam applicators and a couple of their windshield scouring pads.

I immediately threw everything into the washer upon getting home and was a bit shocked at the results. I literally had a fistful of chenille yarn from each mitt. With two of the mitts, areas of the chenille seem to have pulled away from whatever acts as a foundation for the pile. This is in stark contrast to the washer results I have with the "Detailer" brand mitts I`ve got at Walmart.

Has anyone else had results like this? Too, I`ve looked over the packaging that these mitts come in and nowhere is the word cotton used. Also, what`s with the "fabric loop ... for hang drying" - scratch city, right? Did I get the wrong mitt? Does Viking make another chenille mitt model (perhaps with a thumb) to anyone`s knowledge?

Thanks!

DETAILKING
09-29-2001, 02:51 PM
The ones I have say 100% cotton on them and have the cotton logo on it as it is approved. It is sturdy and lasted through a washing on gentle cycle.

YoSteve
09-29-2001, 03:13 PM
okay here`s the big test: (flame away guys, flame away)

if you make the assumption that a CD is softer than your car (which everyone has so far)

if it won`t scratch a CD, it won`t scratch your car

if it does scratch the CD, then you are on your own, to try it on your car (carefully)

:p

Don2000g
09-29-2001, 07:02 PM
Same problem I was having. My area doesn`t carry the Viking mitts that claim to have 100% cotton. My machine wash of those mitts were similar to yours. Not good! So I suppose just ask for the 100% cotton ones next time you reorder or have 1 of the members here send you some. Laters.

imported_Dude
09-29-2001, 08:58 PM
I get mine at AutoZone (in CA) too, and I have never had this problem. It is possible that you just got stuck with a couple of lemons.

We're Here
09-30-2001, 09:17 AM
Just finished washing the small car in the midst of a northwesterly gale! With the Viking mitt I used yesterday waiting to be machine washed, I used yet another new Viking today. When I finished with the wash, had rinsed the mitt and squeezed the water out I noticed yet another free clump of "chenille", that had somehow stayed in place throughout the wash, with about eight inches of that monofilament crap that too often passes for thread these days. Of course, by then I`d scraped the whole vehicle down with this "thread".

I for one won`t ever purchase another Viking Chenille Wash Mitt. The packaging finishes with a 2001 copyright so I can`t help but think that the versions of yore that so many people here liked so much are gone or soon will be.

I`m going back to the "Detailer" mitt I find at the local Walmarts - I machine wash `em after every use, they wear like iron and I haven`t had a single gripe with the four or five I`ve purchased.

99323ic
09-30-2001, 11:39 AM
I`ve never liked cheniile for the reasons mentioned above. Linting and clumps coming out. My Jetta has a fabric type "coating" over the window & sunroof seals that acted like velcro. Lint all along the stripping.

I`ve been using a sheepskin mitt (from Griot`s) and just started using an MF mitt (from CMA) and have found both to be excellent.

Both are very soft, yet can release stubborn bugs & gunk well. Better than the chenille ever did.

You may want to try one of them out and see the difference.

BradE
09-30-2001, 11:47 AM
Jim,

How do you like the MF mitt? I have heard some people complain that they grab the surface too much. It is holding up well, I hope so for $15/mitt.

ULUA.LAWAIA
09-30-2001, 01:31 PM
I`ve used the Viking chenille wash mitt and the Viking chenille-covered sponge. Both say "100% cotton" on the packaging, and both get absolutely torn apart in the washing machine.

YoSteve
09-30-2001, 01:39 PM
I like using MF material for washing, but if your car is extra dirty, you need the plush of a mitt to be a little gentlier on your paint.

99323ic
10-05-2001, 12:39 AM
I`ve found the the mf mitt is plenty plush for my situation. My biggest problem in South Florida is insects (lots and lots of insects!!)

I drive into work early in the morning (around dawn) and am on the Sawgrass Expressway which runs right next to the Everglades. Bug Heaven (literally!!).

I think the mitt for $15 is a good value. I paid the same for the sheepskin mitt and it`s still going strong. It seems to be a fair price.

The mf mitt definately does not grab the surface (unless it`s dry against dry paint!). I use EF PowerWash+ and have all the slipperiness I can handle (I can`t even lean on the car with my free hand without sometimes slipping off!). It`s slippery stuff.

Give one of the mf mitts a try. I think that you`ll like it a lot (especially if you like mf towels).

Cybercowboy
10-05-2001, 12:47 AM
But maybe I was lucky. I also like these mits...

http://www.topoftheline.com/chenwasmit1.html (`http://www.topoftheline.com/chenwasmit1.html`)

Use them on all my cars, and they wash just fine in the Maytag. No problems what so ever after multiple uses.

YoSteve
10-05-2001, 01:10 AM
saw the 100% cotton "chenielle on a stick" today at autozone :) the mitts they had didn`t say 100% cotton so didn`t get one.