PDA

View Full Version : Klasse SG without AIO?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Mr. Clean
09-28-2001, 04:59 PM
Hey, I got a new Golf this week, and I want to give it some shine, and I`m wondering if I need to All-in-One before I Super Glaze.

Or, since it`s new, is SG enough. TIA,

TikiGod

imported_Tony
09-28-2001, 06:18 PM
AIO is as easy as it gets. You will love AIO. I know this does not answer your question, but my point is that AIO is just too easy of a step to skip (IMHO).

rightlane

ALM
09-28-2001, 06:28 PM
First things first, you need to evaluate your paint before you do anything. Based upon many people`s experiences with car dealers, you probably have (although I could be wrong) swirl marks on your new ride. If you do, start with 3M SMR and get rid of them, cuz they will only get worse. Then apply AIO, and as many coats of KSG as you would like.

Technically you probably could apply KSG straight on your new car, but if your going to do it, do it right and get rid of any swirl marks you may have and AIO on top of with with the SG.

drmcetta
09-28-2001, 06:33 PM
I recommend use AIO first to make sure you clean the paint from old wax, etc....if you don`t have time then you can use KSG later..

don`t forget to use different applicators for KSG and AIO

hope this helps :)

imported_Mr. Clean
09-28-2001, 06:43 PM
I actually was able to get the car w/o the dealer doing the wax. It was just washed. So, the paint`s in great shape, so...back to the original question. Is the AIO overkill, or should I just do a couple coats of SG....Both? thanks, TikiGod

rmccall6
09-28-2001, 06:56 PM
Klasse AIO and SG were meant for each other, like peanut butter and jelly (mmmm), AIO is far from over kill. It is a very mild cleaner polish/ protectant that, if anything, like others have said, UNDERkill. First, , feel the car with your hands after you wash it. If its anything than completely smooth, you should consider claying the car (new cars sometimes have fallout and rail dust). Second, even though your car is new, and considering what i saw when i whitnessed the local lexus dealership washing cars with a broom (it was like a nightmare), you might have some swirls. Park the car in the most direct, harsh, noon sunlight. Look at the car up close from every angle....no swirls, awesome, a few swirls (probably, but maybee not), your gonna have to tackle them. If they are extremmely shawlow and few, you can just use the AIO which has very mild polish I`ve have found to remove the most minor swirls, and the SG will cover them up nicely. If they`re more noticable, your gonna have to use a good polish, my favs are 3M PerfectIt III Machine glaze (light moderate swirls), 3M FinnesseIt, II (moderate, heavier swirls). Trust me, your gonna love the AIO, its so easy to apply and it works wondors on your paint. Finnaly, if you want, you can top the klasse of w/ a wax, but thats overkill, (but i love overkill:D ).

colinc
09-28-2001, 07:10 PM
AIO is my favorite detailing product. It will make even the worst paint look at least halfway decent! It`s awesome stuff, I would not skip that step, but I dont see why you couldn`t just do the SG. It wouldn`t look as good w/o the AIO, though.

rstype
09-28-2001, 07:27 PM
I would use AIO, because I feel like it`s part of the system. Maybe you should get a 10 oz. bottle of AIO, and a 16.9 oz jar of SG.

http://www.bmwz3.net/seriousz3/all-in-one.html (`http://www.bmwz3.net/seriousz3/all-in-one.html`) for the small bottle of AIO

http://www.properautocare.com (`http://www.properautocare.com`) or www.tacscar.com for good prices and customer service on Klasse SG.

BradE
09-28-2001, 09:00 PM
I would put at least AIOx1 and SGx1. The SG used with the AIO will increase the protection for your car, and it will last longer than the SG will alone. With the winter months comming up, I would want as much protection as I could get. It takes so little time to apply AIO, just wipe on and wipe off, it is worth the time to apply it for the extra protection that it will give you.

Good Luck!!

BillNorth
09-28-2001, 09:46 PM
Why you ask? After trying AIO, I`ve come to the conclusion that it is more powerful than people realize. It`s *almost* as powerful as SMR. I`ve found that it too will leave a fine haze in your paint. Why haze up a brand new car? My friend just bought a new acura, and the dealer did an excellent job of prepping it. The paint was as smooth as butter, and there were no swirls to be found. I told him the same thing I`m telling you, and that is just use SG. As long as the surface is clean, it will bond to the surface without the use of AIO.

When you have a car with many swirls, removing it and replacing it with a light haze isn`t so bad. But when you have a brand new swirl free finish, why haze it up for nothing? If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it.

Try SG first by itself and see how you like it. Just do the hood or something. If it dosen`t float your boat, then try some AIO.

Take it easy.

rmccall6
09-28-2001, 10:06 PM
I would have to disagree with you on the basis of my results, so im by no means denying what you saw, but i have foud AIO to be a good mild cleaner polish and sealent that really, really improves the gloss and depth of the finish. I have had no hazing, luckily, but i would agree with you that some members dont give it as much respect as a polish as it deserves....just my thouoghts. I would higly recomend that you use AIO.

jkochis
09-28-2001, 10:12 PM
I`ll disagree too. My ride was delivered flawless and no harm was done by using AIO.

BillNorth
09-28-2001, 10:18 PM
Initially I didn`t notice the haze either. But when the sun hit the paint at the right angle, it`s was there, for me at least. Next time you guys use AIO, just stare at the paint in the sun, looking from different angles. You may in fact see what I already have.

Take it easy.

ALM
09-28-2001, 10:24 PM
I can`t really say that I`ve ever heard of AIO hazing. How did u apply it? What type of car? Color? Make? And how old is it?

As far as a dealer doing a good job detailing a car i can`t really say that I`ve ever heard of that either! :D They probably loaded the car up with an oil based wax that filled in the swirls. Wash the car a few times and the swirls will probably magically appear!

BillNorth
09-28-2001, 10:46 PM
88 cutlass. Dark blue metallic paint. Used a foam applicator, back and forth motions, in the garage, buffed off right after with a cotton cloth. You may be right about the delaer prep, but I doubt it. I`ll take a closer look at my buddies car next time I see him. But when I saw it, it looked very good.

If it`s so easy to hide swirls and produce such a nice shine, all in one 10 minute prep, than why doesn`t everyone do that? Why waste your time layering Z5 or applying multiple coats of AIO and SG. Go get some crappy dealer wax, and poof, your swilrs will disappear. And if that`s the case, then why were so many people using IHG and Blitz for so long? That`s a 2 step system. Crappy magic dealer wax is one step.

What I really think is that some people JUST don`t notice the swirls on their car until the euphoria of a having a new car wears off. All this talk about swirls magically appearing after a wash or 2 is pure nonsense IMHO. Or, the swirls are a result of the washing itself. We all know bad washing technique can cause swirls, right? I hope so.