PDA

View Full Version : MF Towels are leaving fibres

joentex
09-26-2001, 04:50 PM
I think I saw something posted on this before.....I am using the yellow microfibre towels (I think they are the viper ones) to clean my car glass.....I use invisible glass.....There are hundreds of tiny white (@ eight/sixteenth of an inch) left behind......I am washing the towels at 90 degrees and I am not using any fabric softener....Does anyone have any ideas...I have a bunch of `Miracle Towels`....should I just use them instead........

svanderbilt
09-26-2001, 05:03 PM
i use the cheap-ass microfiber towels on my windows without a problem. i save the miracle towels and the like for the paint. haven`t had this problem you`ve encountered.

Cybercowboy
09-26-2001, 05:45 PM
There will be a tag on the towel that says "Viper." Mine are green, and did lint a little. I have found that plush MF`s improve with age.

JonB
09-26-2001, 05:56 PM
The yellow MF is one of CMA`s towels that is supposed to be good for glass. The reasoning being that the fibers are not looped, but left open. Personally I have been using the yellow glass towel without any lint problem. Maybe it`s because I wet the towel with 50/50 water and alcohol then wring it out till it is only slightly damp. After washing the window, I use a plain soft cotton cloth to polish it dry with no lint and no streaks.

I did have the "snow" effect after using the blue Miracle Towel from CMA. I guess this has been hashed out in other threads, but it seems that there is no real consensus. Some getting lint and others not, even with the same brand towels! For now, I have determined which of mine do and which do not lint and use them accordingly. But I think that this mostly applies to windows, because I never see the lint on the paint with any of the towels and even on the windows, I can only see it in certain lighting.

H

imported_Dude
09-27-2001, 12:43 AM
I use the cheap MF towels on my windows too, and I had terrible linting problems shortly after I first got them. I have since washed my MF towels several times, and this has dramatically reduced the linting.

If you already have lint on your windows, you can partially remove it with clean MF towels. When you press the MF towel against the glass and swipe it, some of the lint will be picked up by the towel, and some will be pushed accross the surface of the window. I start and end my windshield swipes at the A-pillar, and I have noticed that I have much more lint by the pillar than I have in the middle of the windshield.

Therefore, you can sweep the existing lint on the middle of your windshield to the side. Then you can swipe the MF towel down the side, and, if you remove your hand quickly and smoothly enough, you will remove a lot of lint. I use a combination rolling and lifting motion. With my hand flat against the windshield, I start with my fingers. I roll them up toward my face until my wrist locks. At this point, only the heel of my palm is against the glass. I then smoothly lift up the heel of my palm. This method picks up a lot of MF lint.

JonB
09-27-2001, 10:44 AM
My favorite window cleaning duo is Stoners Invisible Glass and crumpled up newspaper. I didn`t believe these instructions at first, but when I tried it, the results were nothing less than amazing. No lint, no streaks, excellent fast cleaning and you can use one or two pages of newspaper to do your whole car! I still use the damp yellow glass towel and cotton cloth for the windows that are tinted.

H

imported_Intermezzo
09-27-2001, 03:06 PM
bigboy,

Your procedure is an exact duplicate of mine. I was skeptical about the newspaper at first also....decided to give it a try and it worked very well. No more lint!

svanderbilt
09-27-2001, 04:38 PM
For me personally, microfiber towels and Stoner`s works better than newspaper.

Perhaps the problem that some people are having with microfiber towels is that they must be washed a few times to get all the stray fibers out. Since there are 90,000 fibers per square inch, there are much more stray fibers to lose than say tradtional terry or flannel.

Don2000g
09-27-2001, 05:44 PM
Hey Autopia98 beau. For a newbie, you know quite a bit. Not bad at all. Laters.

rstype
09-27-2001, 05:55 PM
Hahaha... "welcome" to the forum!