PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s

Pages : [1] 2

Babbo
09-18-2001, 12:22 AM
Is Meguiars Deep Crystal System Polish considered to be a good polish?

Babbo
09-18-2001, 12:26 AM
The vehicle that I am about to detail is a 1993 Chevy Suburban. The paint is in good shape, about as good as can be expected for a vehicle of this age.

imported_Pats300zx
09-18-2001, 07:33 AM
IIRC, this is a component of Mcguiar`s 3 step "system," right? (Cleaner, polish, liquid wax)

If so, I`ve used it, and like most all of their products, it`s "nod bad" - my own gripe with this stuff is not the polish, but the wax - yuck. I prefered the #26 paste from there catalog, and that pales by comparison to some others (read Blitz, from personal experience).

BradE
09-18-2001, 09:19 AM
I have used the Meguiars Deep Crystal polish before on a number of occasions. I would not call it a bad product, but it`s not a great product either. I would say middle of the road. It leaves a deep glossy finish, but it does NOT remove any swirls or imperfections, even with a PC.

You should consider a sealant for your Chevy. Otherwise you are going to be waxing that beast every month. After a few months, and with a truck that size, you have to be hospitalized. ;)

Babbo
09-18-2001, 11:50 AM
Yes it is part of their 3 Step System. I am going to follow the polishing up with AIO, then SG, then Blitz,(whew!). I just happenend to have a bottle of the Meguiars on hand and wondered if it was OK to use, considering what`s to follow. Do you all think it is not a good idea to start the process after a rain with high humidity and such?

BradE
09-18-2001, 11:56 AM
If you are going to use Klasse and Blitz, there is no need to use the Meguiars. The oils that are left by the Meguiars to make the paint glossy will be removed by the AIO anyway.

rmccall6
09-18-2001, 03:18 PM
The best brand name three step system, is easily Mother`s "Ultimate wax system" of cleaner/polish, glaze, wax. Great stuff. Not on the same level as klasse/blitz though.

Glozz
09-18-2001, 03:29 PM
I put in 18 hours one weekend doing my wife`s dark blue Toyota 4Runner. I used each of the steps "Meguiars Deep Crystal System". I also added one coat of Gold Class for dark colors on the top of it all. The truck looked new!

The next Saturday I washed the 4Runner with Gold Class shampoo and dried it with very soft 1000% cotton towels. I have to say I was just about in tears. The finish looked really bad. All that work for nothing.

I have since done a bit more aggressive polishing and gone the Zaino route on the 4Runner. Last night I was filling the gas and under the lights at the gas station it looked like a deep blue pool of color. I have been getting looks and questions about the finish from passer-bys as well.

Meguiar`s is good stuff, but if your on this forum, your like the rest of us and you look for and use upper end products that deliver what you want them to.

So spend a bit more and smile a bigger smile after you`re done! :)

BradE
09-18-2001, 03:40 PM
Brad4rdHay,

I agree with you 100%. Although I dont use it anymore, Mothers Caranuba paste wax (Step 3) is an excellent product. It is one of the better waxes that I have tried, not as good as Blitz, but it is still a very good wax.

JasonC8301
09-18-2001, 03:57 PM
I feel your pain with Meguiars. The Gold Class has cleaners in it and it cleaned off your previous work with the 3 step. The Gold Class is not durable IMHO.

You gotta hook me up with those 1000% cotton towels.

I can say those 18 hours didn`t go to waste. You got to work out you`re arms and endurance. Also I think you`re technique should of improved somewhat. A detailing workout is always productive.

Jason

boywonder
09-18-2001, 04:29 PM
I had Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Cleaner, Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover, and #26 Hi-Tech Wax in the not too distant past.

They are not too bad but, as others have said, the results do not last long enough. I did that three step some time ago with my Maxima and loved the finished product but got upset at the next washing because all my work went down the drain.

As a result of that finding, I am now a Klasse convert. :D

Blackmirror
09-18-2001, 09:24 PM
I have used Meguiars products too. I have the Show car glaze, #26 Yellow wax and gold glass products too. I think these products are good but not great. My black car looks hazy after using the polish and the waxes. Did I apply too much product or I just didn`t do a good buffing job?

JasonC8301
09-18-2001, 09:29 PM
I have used Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze and #26 wax on a black 93 Mustang. It came out pretty good but required some buffing.

Whats the conditon of your paint? Did you make sure the paint was swirl and contamination free?

Paint prep. is the most important step in the outcome of the finish.

Jason

Glozz
09-18-2001, 10:09 PM
100% cotton, not 1000% cotton towels :rolleyes:

It`s been a long, long week has it not?

JasonC8301
09-18-2001, 10:16 PM
ah, man. I was hoping for 1000% towels.

Well thanks for correcting the mistake.

Now I gotta do a search for 1000% cotton towels. I gotta find these towels. They will be the softest, plushest, and most hefty cotten towel in the world!!!! :p