PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones While Driving . . .

janderson
09-14-2001, 03:27 PM
I have to admit, that at one time, I too used my cell phone while driving, until one sad day. I was moving my car, and hung up the phone. I was at a complete stop, waiting to make a left hand turn, then I heard this horrible tire screetch. I looked over my shoulder to see some drunk guy on a motorcycle some screaming my way, out of control.

All I could do was sit and watch. His bike skid over 40 feet before he hit me. He did not have a helmet on, and did not have a shirt on. His wife was a bit smarter, and had a helmet, but that did not help much. They both got up (thank God, as I thought that they were both dead), but they were bleeding out of every hole.

Then the drunk guy wanted to fight me (this situation could not have been any better). I had just finished detailing my car (she looked so good), and when I got to the side of the car where he hit, I almost broke down.

He did over $4,000 worth of damage (ouch). He told the police that it was my fault, but I had the last laugh. I took tons of pictures, and got witness info and submitted it to the insurance company. My company would not pay for any of their expenses, and now is taking his company to court.

I guess that there is some justice in the world. My only thought was maybe if I never used the phone, I could have heard him coming, and could have pulled to the side of the road, but then he probably would have hit me there.

The moral of this story, DON`T USE YOUR CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING!

YoSteve
09-22-2001, 04:10 AM
Josh, you know you can`t blame yourself nor yourself on a cell phone for a random incident like that one. My car stereo is way louder than my cell phone, so I wouldn`t have heard it either.

I have a hands free hookup with a "boom" mic slightly hanging from my car ceiling. I like the setup a lot and try to pretend the person i`m talking too is sitting in the back seat.

I to try to avoid accidents in every possible way. As soon as I slam the brakes I look instantly in my rear view mirror to adjust accordingly to anyone not ready for it.

Glad to hear you`re okay, (and the drunk guy and wife too)