PDA

View Full Version : Factory grease in door jams

imported_nihoole
09-14-2001, 01:22 PM
I am getting ready to Zaino my cars and I have greasy and sticky type crap in my door jams.Some of it like light brown looking grease that want smear and others that you can hardly see but can feel that are sticky and smear but won`t wipe off.What can I clean this with that will not hurt my paint and should I Zaino door jams?Once I have cleaned the area what do I clean it with so the Zaino will bond?Thanks for any help!

Brad B
09-14-2001, 01:57 PM
I wax/seal my door jams but not the lubricated area of the hinges and catches. It`s really best to maintain the factory grease. It`s a waxy substance that hangs on well and has a purpose.

imported_nihoole
09-14-2001, 02:16 PM
Maybe I was not clear on my problem.The grease and crap that I am refering to is on the painted surfaces not were it should be.Maybe it was spilled over during the grease,lube proccess at the factory.Thanks for the response Brad B.:)

Ron Ketcham
09-14-2001, 02:21 PM
Overspray from the anti rust inhibitor.

If it is on any seams, do not remove.

The others, use a safety solvent, soak a towel and lay it on, let it set for a while to soften it.

This type of compound is tough stuff, has to be and you are not going to easily break it down by just taking a quick wipe at it.

Need more info, call me.

:cool:

Brad B
09-14-2001, 02:23 PM
Got it. I use Denatured Alcohol primarily for such things. Bug and Tar removers and even solvents like Acrysol or aerosol Brake Parts Cleaner work great, leave little residue and will not hurt paint.

A quick wipe down with a sponge of water/shampoo mix will prepare the area for Z1.

imported_nihoole
09-14-2001, 02:56 PM
will try!but I will be beggen for more help if does not work;)

Anna
09-16-2001, 01:30 AM
Glad to know that you pay attention to details like removing grease from your door jams.

That has to be one of my biggest pet peeves.

So many guys I know think they have clean rides but when I open the door and see that crap on the jams I know its not clean.

I wish others would pay more attention to Details. :) :up

ISLANDSBEST
09-17-2001, 02:48 AM
To answer one of your questions, yes, some of us do Z our door jams. I do. In fact, I Z all painted parts of the car, including the interior facing painted parts of the trunk lid.

mx5
09-17-2001, 09:37 AM
I agree with Ron. It is anti rust inhibitor based on the description you gave. I could not believe how much they sprayed on my vehicle. The dealer said the guys spraying it must like to do a thorough job. I left it there. It was basically like glue. I figured what could it hurt. My engine compartment was covered with it.